Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Need handbag advice!

(22 Posts)
Monkeystormborn Wed 10-Apr-13 16:48:51

Amazingly dddh has told me he'll buy me a new bag. I'm walking around with a bag that's falling apart at the moment so I'm very happy!

I need something that's reasonably sized so I can fit all ds's crap in it, and I think I'd like a shoulder bag. It needs to last a while,be pretty hardy, and make me look better than I look now wink Budget is around £1000 shockgrin
I'm thinking Mulberry but is there anything else? I haven't a clue about these things...

madammecholet Wed 10-Apr-13 17:08:43

Chloe is your friend, u just need a 10% offer code.. ;)

marcie

paraty

Mulberry too overrated personally...

novelsituation Wed 10-Apr-13 17:16:34

Agree completely with Madame. Chloe all the way.

Here's the Medium Marcie in black

i buy one great bag every three years or so, and this time I went for a medium Marcie in a soft sage green. It's perfect! Not too big or small, curvy shape, soft leather, "tennis handle" style handles fit comfortably over the shoulder, but there is also a cross- body strap. Love, love, love. Am seriously considering the black too, as i love it so much. Am about to do a mammoth ebay clearout to fund it.

Monkeystormborn Wed 10-Apr-13 17:17:59

Oh thanks, will have a look! My worry with a mulberry is that it doesn't look like it'll last long with every day use. Whatever bag I go for is going to have to be tough!

Allthingspretty Wed 10-Apr-13 17:26:09

I personally rate mulberry over chloe. I felt a chloe on the christmas sale and wasnt impressed at all with the leather.

I say balenciaga

madammecholet Wed 10-Apr-13 17:29:04

oh my lordy the soft sage green is to die for novelsituation <swoons>

Allthingspretty Wed 10-Apr-13 17:29:53

Balenciaga day www.balenciaga.com/en_US/shop-products/accessories/women/new-arrivals/balenciaga-classic-day_803044422.html

novelsituation Wed 10-Apr-13 17:33:12

Thanks Madame. Feel very lucky to have it.

MooMinCow Wed 10-Apr-13 17:50:05

Anya Hindmarch Maxi Zip Satchel? Comes with cross body strap and fairly lightweight and roomy.

Barbie1 Wed 10-Apr-13 19:57:09

Hello monkey wink

Being the bag connoisseur that I am I would say maybe think outside of the mulberry box and look for some alternatives.

Firstly what colour would you like?

What kind of strap, cross body, hand held, shoulder?

What kind of size?

What will you be carrying in it?

Is this a bag for every day or an occasion bag?

I'm currently carrying in dark tan sorry for the link its the only one I could find. Is a gorgeous bag but if you overload it it can be slightly uncomfortable to carry on the shoulder.

I also have this is a gorgeous browny/green colour but its too small for an everyday bag since having the children.

Tanner krolle do loving soft leather bags and I have two blush I can't link because they are a few years old but if you catch the sale they have some amazing offers.

My mulberys have worn well and look better with age, they are classic and a safe bet. Both of mine are in the oak colour which I adore.

I'm also very lucky to have a Chanel 2.55 but that's just a luxury and sadly it makes an outting very rarely which reminds me to book the babysitter

Geeze it's kind of embarrassing now I've writing it all down blush

Just had to do the insurance for our next move and my bag collection valued at £10,000 shock

santamarianovella Wed 10-Apr-13 20:17:46

If you want something to last and your budget is around 1k I highly recommend balanciaga or Chloe ,they are never out of style , I have a black paraty ,bought it 2 years ago and still going strong no scratches on leather,it still looks brand new.
I like this Elsie too,and under a thousand
www.selfridges.com/en/Bags/Elsie-medium-leather-shoulder-bag_221-3001525-3S021573306T/?previewAttribute=Cashmere+grey
And this Marice satchel is amazing and it's £695,which means you can buy a pair of shoes toogrin
www.selfridges.com/en/Bags/Marcie-satchel_221-3001525-3SO857161NUT/?previewAttribute=Nut

faustina Wed 10-Apr-13 20:19:51

yes, what's your style? and which bag do you have now? For research either go somewhere like Selfridges where you can try everything out, or look online at the Purse forum - there is so much to choose from, it's easier to narrow it down a bit. Pay particular attention to people who say a particular make or leather is delicate, or needs babying. It sounds like you need something robust.

santamarianovella Wed 10-Apr-13 20:47:30

I agree with faustina,have alook first. I too have dcs, and the reason I suggested Chloe and balenciaga ,is that the leather is so durable.

Barbie1 Wed 10-Apr-13 20:51:20

Come to paris and see me, we can spend the day in Galeries Lafayette and spend the day test driving all the bags we could then go as have some wine

Barbie1 Wed 10-Apr-13 20:52:33

Looks like I've been on the wine already from my last post blush honestly it's this bloody I phone and tiredness!

rubytubeytubes Wed 10-Apr-13 20:54:45

Another Chloe vote here, I love my parity and leather is fab.
Not as common as mulberry, seem to see lots more of them when out and about.

Monkeystormborn Wed 10-Apr-13 21:18:29

Ooh thanks everyone smile Lots of lovely bags, I can see I'm going to have trouble choosing!!!

Faustina, I had to smile when I read your post - I don't really have a style!!! I am truly hopeless, and live in jeans blush I do like nice things though wink Up to now the only nice bags I have are Louis Vuitton but I wouldn't use any of them every day.

Barbie I LOVE your suggestion!! When do you move?!

Barbie1 Wed 10-Apr-13 21:24:54

Depends on whether Kim Jong um starts this war hmm

Looks like 1st July at the moment, so plenty of time for shopping and a tri

Barbie1 Wed 10-Apr-13 21:25:19

Trip to Disney wink

HappyAsEyeAm Wed 10-Apr-13 21:25:54

My dream bags are smythson and gucci. You lucky thing.

Barbie1 Wed 10-Apr-13 21:28:44

Or maybe instead on one bag you could get dh to buy you an iPhone too...

I'm quite liking the Cambridge satchel bags at the moment...

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Wed 10-Apr-13 22:24:04

Great hubby! For shoulder/cross body use I would go Mulberry Alexa or Balenciaga RH Velo. Both bags are pretty light and easy to carry. I'd go black as well I am a sucker for a black accessory. Have a lovely time deciding whatever you go for and get a celebratory bottle of champers down your neck after the purchase is made.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now