Talk

Advanced search

If you had a job interview next week what would you wear?

(9 Posts)
PenelopeChipShop Wed 10-Apr-13 14:36:48

It's been a while since I've had a formal interview so thought I'd ask MN fashion jury! I'mnused to working in a very casual office where even the directors wear jeans. The new job is in a university ( not on academic side though ) so I think that might be a bit smarter?

I was thinking dress, blazer, tights and ankle boots/ shoe boots maybe... Any ideas? Links welcome! I have got a blazer and quite versatile boots so just need the dress... Of does that not sound right ?

SneakyBiscuitEater Wed 10-Apr-13 14:46:20

I have two interviews next week both academic roles. I have dry cleaned my navy suit and bought a dark purple shirt from white stuff. I'm wearing quite high heels but you can't see them apart from the toe as I am a bit short.

Your dress and blazer sounds great I might do shoe boots rather than ankle boots as they sound a bit too casual.

Good luck.

Thurlow Wed 10-Apr-13 14:50:56

I had an interview the other week at a university library. I wore this dress with plain heels and a smart red cardigan. I would have preferred a blazer but they all looked bloody stupid on me.

Personally I'd say any kind of boots are a bit casual. Have you got a link to them? Call me dull and old-fashioned, but bar a bit of interesting jewellery, I don't think an interview is the right place to do anything remotely fashionable, I think it's best to stick with plain, smart clothes.

PenelopeChipShop Wed 10-Apr-13 15:04:22

Oh good luck Sneaky! Thanks both for your opinion on the boots, I don't have a link as they're ones I've had for a while, they so go with dresses and trousers I think but might make it too casual I guess, maybe I need to get shoes as well then!

Anyone who shops regularly know any good places for sort of classic work dresses? I was thinking Zara, not sure where else ? Have been on mat leave since last summer and literally haven't really shopped properly since then! So feeling a bit out of touch.

suebfg Wed 10-Apr-13 16:01:57

I would wear court shoes not boots or shoe boots

LadyMountbatten Wed 10-Apr-13 16:17:42

you need the dress i got from ( gasp) Marks

LadyMountbatten Wed 10-Apr-13 16:18:08

www.marksandspencer.com/M-S-Woman-Pleated-Neckline/dp/B0046M8PBE?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_1&nodeId=42966030&sr=1-1&qid=1363541362#CustomerReviewsHeader

amazingly nice on - was STunned

Thurlow Wed 10-Apr-13 16:23:08

That M&S dress does look like it would be a really nice fit!

Next have some decent dresses hidden away. Banana Republic and Hobbs do classic dresses. Depending on how office smart you need to be, I buy a lot of my work dresses from Oliver Bonas - Poem and Emily & Fin - but I suspect if you're tall they might come up too short. Also its worth looking at Mango and Warehouse, as they sometimes do dresses in a plain colour but with a slightly more modern style that look great for work with a cardigan or blazer over the top.

LadyMountbatten Wed 10-Apr-13 16:29:45

i never ever ever can find dresses that fit or look good and not all flaredy.
the only one i liked is a coast one and an LK bennet one

this marks one is fab

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now