Talk

Advanced search

Country bumpkin off to London - what to wear?

(9 Posts)
UtterflyButterfly Wed 10-Apr-13 12:45:18

I'm not entirely clueless, and visit London quite often, but this b****y weather has me stumped. I've been living in rural Ireland for the last few years and my 'good' clothes are all rather tired now. I don't want to get anything new before I go (chance would be a fine thing, shops here aren't exactly inspiring), as I'll be spending a day shopping with my lovely chic on-trend DD.

We're only taking hand luggage, so...

I have one pair of smartish camel-coloured trousers which I could wear with cream blouses/tops and a brown tweedy Chanel-style jacket (so old it's suddenly fashionable again). Then take my one pair of decent jeans as well.

OR

I have one reasonable dress and one reasonable skirt, which I could wear with flat (comfy for walking) knee length boots. But then I'm stuck for a jacket/coat.

I'm tempted to buy a knee-length trench, which will, at least cover all my fashion mistakes up!

Any good advice? We're going for 3 days by the way, with a theatre trip and nice dinners part of the plan.

SuburbanCrofter Wed 10-Apr-13 13:19:11

I would say avoid the camel trousers, as they'll get grubby. Skirts are also probably a bit impractical if the weather continues to be a bit chilly.

Instead, I think go with the trench idea - you will spend most of your time in it anyway (except at the theatre - when it will be dark! grin) If you are on a budget, Marks and Spencer are advertising one at £40 (don't know how much in Euros): http://www.marksandspencer.com/M-Woman-Shower-Resistant-Belted/dp/B004E3VYX6 Otherwise, I'm sure Boden or Gap will have some nice ones. You could wear it with your good jeans on day one, then buy some nice things to wear for the rest of the trip as part of your shopping spree!

UtterflyButterfly Wed 10-Apr-13 13:29:07

Thanks Suburban, yes I've just been looking at some trenches online and think it might be the best bet. I've been meaning to ditch my old mac for ages anyway so it seems sensible.

abbyfromoz Wed 10-Apr-13 13:34:37

Agree with suburban... It's all about black, grey & navy!
It's still a bit chilly but have seen the sun peeking through the last couple of days so a coat is still a good idea. boots/brogues/ankle boots. I rarely wear heals (they get trashed on the cobble stones or uneven footpaths)

abbyfromoz Wed 10-Apr-13 13:36:14

Btw A nice lined trench/mac could do the job but don't overlook a scarf or layer, layer, layer! grin

UtterflyButterfly Wed 10-Apr-13 13:52:11

abby we're coming in two weeks and I'm HOPING the weather might have taken a slight turn for the better by then! I've looked at the M&S macs as they do free delivery here in Ireland and I think I've pretty much decided to go with the one suburban linked to. It's so cheap I have nothing to lose. There is another, heavier duty one, but it's not such a nice style. thanks, both, you've helped me make a decision!

SuburbanCrofter Wed 10-Apr-13 14:19:00

I second what abby said about a scarf and flat shoes too. You will be doing a lot of walking.

Have a lovely time with your daughter!

MadBraLady Wed 10-Apr-13 15:15:50

I second layers. It seems to be particularly sauna-like on the tube and in shops at the moment by contrast with the freezy windy outdoors.

abbyfromoz Thu 11-Apr-13 22:13:20

Just thought of you when i heard today- it's going to be 18 on Sunday!!! It's happening people! Spring is finally on it's way! I would still bring the mac though wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now