Talk

Advanced search

No idea what to wear - need new wardrobe

(21 Posts)
emsyj Mon 08-Apr-13 21:16:57

I have been giving myself a headache and now have to admit defeat and ask for help and suggestions. I have recently had my second (and last planned) baby and I have had a career change which means I don't need to wear suits any more for work. So now I need to work out what my style is and can buy some more quality things hopefully. I have been eeking out my wardrobe with cheap stuff to get me through two pregnancies/post-birth baby weight times for the last few years so now that I am done, I want an overhaul.

If anyone can point me to any useful blogs/capsule wardrobe type sites that would be great. I need to work out a style to stick to as I don't have the energy to build a huge wardrobe with endless different 'looks' - I would like a few things that all go together. I don't enjoy shopping.

I'm 5'7" tall and usually a size 12 (although about 10lb heavier than normal at the moment post DD2 - that will go soon enough I reckon). There's a pic of me on my profile which is fairly accurate. I like navy blue and anything nautical blush like stripes etc. Also like 50s style stuff. For work, I don't really need a separate wardrobe as it's informal dress so I would like to get some stuff that I can wear most of the time like dresses, trousers & nice tops. I am clueless.

Help me. Pleeeeeeeeease. Budget = no idea, but not designer - am thinking high end high street type stuff ideally. Nothing dry clean either. grin

KristinaM Mon 08-Apr-13 21:21:27

You're going to hate this suggestion- get your colours and style done first before you waste money on the wrong stuff

suebfg Mon 08-Apr-13 21:22:36

I love Polyvore for inspiration. You can search on an item e.g. beige jumper and see how others have styled similar items. It has really helped me focus on items that can update my existing wardrobe.

emsyj Mon 08-Apr-13 21:33:30

Where would I do that KristinaM and how much would it cost? I really really don't want to waste money on stuff that doesn't look good - and all I ever seem to buy is stripy tops and skinny jeans.

I've never heard of Polyvore, so off to have a look at that thanks. smile

OneLittleLady Mon 08-Apr-13 21:40:57

Check out Pinterest as well. Lots of ideas on there and there's a thread linking to other MNetters boards somewhere around

AphraBehn Mon 08-Apr-13 21:43:00

Try this site putting me together for ideas about starting from scratch.

Then look on Pinterest for ideas - if you have lots of stripey tops put that in the search and see what other people are combining them with.

suebfg Mon 08-Apr-13 21:47:08

John Lewis is a great place to start too. It is so easy to order from them and return things (free delivery over £50 and free returns too).

iMe Mon 08-Apr-13 22:08:07

Sorry for the hijack, OP, but I want to ask suebfg a question... How do you do that on polyvore? I joined it last week and am a bit lost...eg. I know how to find a beige jumper etc, but how do you see how others have styled it? Thanks.

emsyj Mon 08-Apr-13 22:11:47

I'm liking that puttingmetogether thing!

I am a bit lost too iMe - looking at polyvore is giving me as much of a headswim as actual shopping! blush

iMe Mon 08-Apr-13 22:11:52

More in reply to original question. hopefully is a poster on here and has a blog called applied style, sorry can't link cos I'm on my phone. She is a colour & style analyst & big into capsule wardrobe stuff... Hth.

suebfg Tue 09-Apr-13 07:11:44

So when you searched for beige jumper, I click on an item that is close to the one I own or like and then under the item, it will show related looks.

So for example I have some beige ankle boots that are similar to Isabelle marant ones and these have been styled lots of times. But you might find that your exact item has been styled.

suebfg Tue 09-Apr-13 07:13:18

Ps once you have clicked the item, you need to scroll down the page for the related looks

iMe Tue 09-Apr-13 07:16:38

Thanks, suebfg....I will try that later today.

Khaleese Tue 09-Apr-13 07:28:26

I would suggest you get a personal shopper session at john lewis or debenhams.

Your looking for a uniform type arrangment. Find trousers or skirts that suit x3, tops or blouses x 5. Cardigans or jackets to match. It all needs to be mix and match. Once you know what works you can add to it.

That's the lovely thing about suits they are SO easy, three suits and a handful of shirts and your done :-)

Annianni Tue 09-Apr-13 07:48:01

Pinterest is fab, I've got loads of ideas from there.

You can just search for a breton top for example and it'll show you where lots are from, and how people are wearing them.

Clayhanger Tue 09-Apr-13 07:54:22

I managed to spruce up my style by looking at fashion mag blogs etc and then adapting to a high street budget. BUT I'm being really dumb here but how do you search on Pinterest? Do you have to sign up and start your own picture blog or whatever? Help!

Annianni Tue 09-Apr-13 08:01:16

I'm on pin and I can search for anything.
Not sure if you can search without signing in, sorry.

AphraBehn Tue 09-Apr-13 08:04:32

Clayhanger

There is search facility on Pinterest, just type in what you are looking for. You only need to register if you want to save stuff to a board.

If you want to look at more general stuff then you can search in the categories section, eg fashion, craft, home, food, weddings etc.

I love Pinterest. It's like a constantly updating magazine.

miche8 Tue 09-Apr-13 08:07:18

I waste loads of time on pinterest, it's great. I also recommend the John lewis personal shopper, just about to book again to sort my summer holiday wardrobe. I asked the lady about my body shape, and the best styles for me and the worse, had read up loads on it but wanted someone to confirm with me, we also chatted quickly about best colours for me. I also tend to do big online orders, it doesn't count until you decide to keep it, that way I can have a long try on session at home and try things with the clothes I already own, much better than having to make a quick decision in the changing rooms, really don't enjoy shopping.

Fast Tue 09-Apr-13 09:11:29

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Clayhanger Wed 10-Apr-13 23:03:10

Thanks AphraBehn - will now check it out and probably spend far too much time there..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now