Talk

Advanced search

Best liquid or gel eyeliner for a total cack-handed novice?

(11 Posts)
Lottapianos Mon 08-Apr-13 16:37:21

I only ever use eye liner pencils but have heard lots of rave reviews of liquid or gel products. I would love to have a go at a Caitlin Moran-style look but am scared of looking more like Alice Cooper. Which products would you recommend for an eyeliner dunderhead?

Thanks

ScooseIsLooseOnTheLoopyJuice Mon 08-Apr-13 16:58:31

A felt tip liner would probably be best to get you started they are easier to control than a liquid liner pot and brush the mac one is really good.

WorkingtoohardMama Mon 08-Apr-13 17:02:39

I'm quite cack handed, and find the rimmel one very easy to use and also very cheap

Lottapianos Mon 08-Apr-13 17:04:50

Any particular Rimmel one Working?

hortensemancini Mon 08-Apr-13 17:14:37

The Bourjois felt tip pen liner is really good - a nice sharp point, that you can make thick or thin, and not too expensive.

Otherwise I think it's all down to getting the right brush, as much as the liner itself. The Maybelline gel liner comes with its own brush and isn't bad, if you just want to try it out. My favourite is the MAC Fluidline in Black, with a Bobbi Brown liner brush - I found the Bobbi Brown gel liner dried out v quickly.

JamEyelid Mon 08-Apr-13 17:18:14

I was going to recommend the Maybelline gel liner. The brush included is decent and I think it is £7(?) I can't use liquid liner at all but gel eyeliner is easy.

WorkingtoohardMama Mon 08-Apr-13 17:19:05

That would help! I use exaggerate eye liner, I like the brown one as its not too harsh, think its about £6, I've used it for years and really like it.

WorkingtoohardMama Mon 08-Apr-13 17:21:01

Sorry should've said, it's liquid rather than gel, it is a pot and brush, but the brush is like a felt tip.

Lottapianos Mon 08-Apr-13 17:22:45

Sounds good Working, thanks! It's had great reviews on the Superdrug website too. Might have a look at the Bourjois one too smile

WorkingtoohardMama Mon 08-Apr-13 18:07:14

You're welcome, good luck!

BinksToEnlightenment Mon 08-Apr-13 18:26:03

I've been using exaggerate by rimmel for thirteen years now. I'll never use another. It's the perfect eyeliner, and it's only £5.

The trick to eyeliner is practice! There are lots of techniques, but the one I use when I'm putting it on other people is 1, 2, blink. So you start putting it on very carefully, one dot, two dots, then on three you take the brush away and blink. You need regular blink breaks otherwise you'll get the dreaded twitchy eye.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now