Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Washing Northface 600 "Duvet Coat" - any advice?

(11 Posts)
Sandgroper Sun 07-Apr-13 09:49:33

Hi

My coat is clean except for the neckline (has makeup mars that don't come out using a sponge). Never tried washing it - afraid if I put it in the washing machine it might come out flat...shock

Has anyone washed theirs in the washing machine and if so what temp did you use to wash and on what setting? Thinking I can dry it on a rack near the radiator, rather than putting in the dryer (worried about shrinking it).

Many thanks

Inertia Sun 07-Apr-13 13:10:57

I have washed other down jackets in the machine - I use nikwax washing liquid and then wash again with nikwax reproofer. I then dry them in the dryer for a few minutes on the lowest setting (and then airdry) . If you use normal detergent it will lose some of its water resistant properties.

Inertia Sun 07-Apr-13 13:12:29

Apparently those tumble dryer balls are good for fluffing up down / feather filled items according to the woman at the dry cleaners.

fififolle Sun 07-Apr-13 16:07:28

Non bio washing stuff then cool tumble dry with a couple of tennis balls

teta Sun 07-Apr-13 16:22:50

I've just put mine in the wash because of make up stains.I wash it on a cold 30 degree wash with nonbio detergent and no fabric conditioner.You will have to dry it in a tumble dryer otherwise it won't fluff up properly and may end up smelling mouldy and horrible.To help the coat fluff up and dry properly use the special dryer balls or you can use clean tennis balls

badguider Sun 07-Apr-13 16:26:56

They're better tumbledried on cool with tennis balls but you can dry on a rack if you fluff it by hand often.
Don't wash with detergent - use soap flakes for hand washing woollens.

badguider Sun 07-Apr-13 16:28:35

Oh and if you use a lot of fan conditioner normally you should rinse the drawer etc out thoroughly to get rid of all traces.

teta Sun 07-Apr-13 16:39:05

Yes,soap flakes are probably better for items that aren't too soiled but i find they don't remove make up terribly effectively on my clothes.So every so often i resort to a persil wash.

timetopost Sun 07-Apr-13 16:43:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Geeklover Sun 07-Apr-13 16:43:49

Agree you need to tumble dry for the down to fluff up.
I've never used balls with mine must try that.

Sandgroper Sun 07-Apr-13 17:51:32

Thanks for all the responses and tips! Very much appreciated and I will go off and "give it a go"!

Great tip about the tennis balls - will go and get some of those and will report back with results.

Cheers smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: