Talk

Advanced search

Anyone fancy making something to wear?!

(7 Posts)
RollerCola Sat 06-Apr-13 11:06:19

Has anyone who watched the Great British Sewing Bee been inspired to make something to wear? I've bought the book and love the idea of making something original to wear.

I reckon I could do it if I had a pattern to follow, I just need some inspiration (and something very easy to start with!)

Anyone fancy it?

MoreSnowPlease Sat 06-Apr-13 11:10:35

DP bought me a sewing machine for Christmas so I could make something to wear.Haven't been able to touch it yet as DS gives me no free time, but think I could manage it if I got organised with a pattern, which book have you got?

RollerCola Sat 06-Apr-13 11:17:41

This is the book I've got, it has patterns in the back www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1849492875

DancingRoundTheKitchen Sat 06-Apr-13 19:50:22

Is the book any good, what are the patterns for? I loved the programme the other night and was thinking about ordering the book. I was inspired by the programme and ordered two patterns, one for a shell top (which I'm imagining in pretty liberty prints) and one for a short skirt.
I've had success making children's clothes but have never made anything for myself that I've actually worn!

ujjayi Sat 06-Apr-13 20:30:29

Not heard of this programme but just a few pieces of advice for dressmaking:

Iron your seams after sewing.
Learn how to sew french seams (even where not indicated in a pattern they will give you a beautiful, couture finish on unlined items)
Do a basic pattern cutting course - you need never buy commercial patterns again.

RollerCola Sun 07-Apr-13 08:50:41

I've never made an item of clothing before so can't really say whether the book is any good but it seems quite clear & concise. It has a couple of chapters on the basics, talks about different types of stitching/hems etc and as far as I can see the patterns seem to be good.

For a tenner it seemed a bargain for the patterns alone (although not entirely sure how much patterns are so that could be a load of rubbish lol grin)

CardiCorgi Sun 07-Apr-13 13:30:48

I haven't watched it yet (it's available on YouTube but DH keeps interrupting me) but it sounds like a good idea. I'm trying to plan a realistic number of sewing projects so that I actually get some of them done in time.
One idea is a broderie anglaise dress if the Gap one I would like doesn't fit.

Does anyone here ever get Stitch magazine, published by Interweave? It has a mixture of home, children's and adult sewing and some interesting articles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now