Talk

Advanced search

Skin care

(18 Posts)
roughtyping Fri 05-Apr-13 20:31:44

Can anyone help?

In the last few months I've been using Liz Earle C&P, toner and moisturiser. Before that I didn't have a skin care routine at all.

LE started out well leaving my skin super soft, but didn't clear up spots. However, more recently it's got worse and I've started getting dry, red, flaky/scaly patches on my cheeks. I've always had red cheeks - blush v v easily, but this is so much worse sad lots more spots in last couple of weeks as well.

Family history of excema, I've never had it though. Never had dry skin either apart from on hands in winter.

Can anyone recommend anything nice and calming and soothing? That preferably doesn't cost the earth.. I'm asking a lot!

TheDemonShedMaster Fri 05-Apr-13 20:38:25

I am a dedicated user of Liz Earle, too. However, all this cold weather and going in and out of heated buildings is playing havoc with my complexion and I am getting redness and dry patches, too. I deal with this by cleansing every other night with Neal's Yard almond oil (in the same way as LE C&P) and then in the mornings, I put a thin layer of it under my moisturiser. This seems to be helping.

roughtyping Fri 05-Apr-13 21:02:11

I wonder if it is the stupid weather. It's been a bit milder here (Glasgow) and heating barely on, might contribute. Gah!

Where do I buy Neal's Yard? And how do you know to do these things?! I'm such a novice blush

TigerseyeMum Fri 05-Apr-13 22:21:51

Ren do a sensitive skin kit full of trial sizes - I would recommend then or Neals Yard if you have reactive or sore skin.

TigerseyeMum Fri 05-Apr-13 22:22:56

Neals Yard has a great website which shows all the products and you can search by skin type.

Angels on Bare Skin by Lush may also be a good cleanser.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 05-Apr-13 22:24:23

It might be the eucalyptus oil in the c+p.

Some skin types will find it irritating after repeated exposure.

TigerseyeMum Fri 05-Apr-13 22:32:15

Ren hydra calm cleansing milk or Neals Yard soothing starflower cleansing milk would be suitable, then you can choose a moisturiser according to your needs.

I have awkward reactive skin but trust these brands implicitly, and although expensive they last far longer than cheaper ones.

If you need cheaper, Boots Botanics has a nice range, I have their toner and it's fine.

Decleor does a trial kit as well for about £20, again they are a reasonable brand but pricier and I'm not convinced they are worth the premium tag.

TigerseyeMum Fri 05-Apr-13 22:49:28

Finally, NYR also do a cream called Stellaria, I haven't tried it myself but people with eczema or sore patches seem to recommend it. It's under their herbal remedies section.

I'll shut up now grin

roughtyping Sat 06-Apr-13 08:21:00

Thanks so much for all advice smile TigersEye you are a fountain of knowledge!

Going to have a look at the Neal's Yard website just now. Skin feels a bit calmer this morning, still a bit tight though. Saying that, haven't looked in a mirror yet...

knitknack Sat 06-Apr-13 08:30:52

LE has some very harsh ingredients in it - it ravaged my skin.

Www.beautymouth.com will tell you more.

It sounds as though you need something milder - you can use ANY cleanser as a 'hot cloth' cleanser - so you could get something for sensitive/dry skin.

Jammygal Sat 06-Apr-13 11:03:41

Try Emma hardie cleansing balm.....you could buy on qvc and return if it doesn't suit!

I don't think you will return it ...I have found it to be my best skincare discovery ever...

Also I back up beauty mouth recommendation......she is top!

TigerseyeMum Sat 06-Apr-13 17:37:17

You're welcome! Maybe I should become a consultant!!!

Hope you find what you need.

WallyBantersJunkBox Sat 06-Apr-13 19:44:46

Shu Uemura cleansing oils have been a book for me in this weather. I has been getting flaky patches and exfoliating which clears for a day, but comes back in the evening.

The oils are light, cleanse in one go, and turn into milk when you add water.

Also I was told to avoid toner, and bought a product that actually opens pores before moisturizing to allow more absorption.

I live in a very dry climate and finally my skin feels supple.

The oil has a pump dispenser so it works out as great value for money too.

WallyBantersJunkBox Sat 06-Apr-13 19:45:07

Boon not book!

agirlcalledsandoz Sat 06-Apr-13 21:13:07

There is a Neals Yard shop in Glasgow/ it's on Royal Exchange Square. Hope that helps wink

BeaLola Sat 06-Apr-13 22:01:31

OP I have pretty much cut toner out of my regime & my skin has definitely improved . C&P is not great on m skin either :-(

roughtyping Sun 07-Apr-13 01:11:01

Ok, did lots of googling and went on a mini spree at lush. Will see how this goes...

Agirlcalledsandoz do I know you IRL?! confused eep!

agirlcalledsandoz Sun 07-Apr-13 11:43:17

Haha you never know ! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now