Talk

Advanced search

Gel nails?

(19 Posts)
weebarra Thu 04-Apr-13 17:03:59

I'm going on holiday in June when I'll be 7 months pregnant with DC3 and was thinking about getting gel nails on my toes as it's pretty unlikely I'll be able to paint them myself and DH is not going to volunteer.
Is this a good idea or are there better alternatives?
Asking now because I'm getting my legs waxed tomorrow and may as well make the appointment for June when I'm there or preg brain will lead me to forget

WipsGlitter Thu 04-Apr-13 17:12:37

Personally I loathe gel nails. Why not just get a pedicure?

weebarra Thu 04-Apr-13 17:14:15

Because then I would have to remove the polish and reapply when I'm away as they don't last very long.

WipsGlitter Thu 04-Apr-13 17:42:37

But do you not have to remove the gel nails?

PoppyWearer Thu 04-Apr-13 17:45:11

I've found gels fab on my toes and did have them before I gave birth to DC2 - so nice to have nice toes!

I have had gels on my nails for the past year, with short breaks, but they have wrecked my fingernails due to overuse last year, so be careful. They can also make nail infections more likely, I've had a bit of that in one of my toenails.

But to see you through the next 2 months, until you can reach your toes again yourself, why not?

memphis83 Thu 04-Apr-13 17:47:16

By gel nails if you mean just the gel polish then its a good idea as it doesn't chip and you won't have to do it again while your away. I have just removed my gel varnish on my hands after 3 weeks and had no chips or breaks. Re varnished with mormal varnish and it already needs re doing.

Gardentreehouse Thu 04-Apr-13 17:48:45

I love gel nails if you are talking about gel nail polish? Actual fake nails look horrible in my opinion. The only thing is that you have to pay to have them removed. In my experience they also ruined my real nails after a few applications. Having said that they are perfect for a holiday if you are happy to pay around a tenner to have it taken off?

TeamEdward Thu 04-Apr-13 17:55:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 04-Apr-13 18:05:03

Agree that gel 3 week pedicure type thing is a very good idea - lasts for ages.

minibmw2010 Thu 04-Apr-13 18:12:50

Have a Shellac manicure, healthier for the nails than Gel and long lasting, 2-3 weeks

JudithOfThePascha Thu 04-Apr-13 21:53:04

I thought Shellacwas a gel manicure? What's the difference and why is Shellac better for your nails? Under what heading do OPI gels come under?

Sorry, OP - hope you don't me asking!

minibmw2010 Thu 04-Apr-13 22:23:22

My understanding is that gel nails are several layers built up and Shellac is just 2 under a UV lamp. OPK is a brand of varnish I think?

CockBollocks Thu 04-Apr-13 22:56:04

I have just booked Shellac nails and toes for my hols.

along with Lvl lashes & HD brows

Towie on tour grin

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 05-Apr-13 06:59:36

I've had the nails inc gel manicure and on saturday had shellac done with cnd products - the process was exactly the same so I don't see how one is better for your nails.

I think a gel/3 week manicure is very different from gel overlays or whatever they're called and that's perhaps where the cofusion lies.

JudithOfThePascha Fri 05-Apr-13 08:48:55

Ah, yes, gel overlays. That rings a bell. I just want to try the manicure - am hoping it won't ruin my nails though!

Mini - OPI is a brand of varnish but I think they do a gel version. Am not sure whether it is the manicure or overlay thing, though!

valiumredhead Fri 05-Apr-13 10:58:42

Shellac ruined my nails.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Fri 05-Apr-13 11:14:10

In my experience gel is thicker than Shellac and does last a bit longer (although both last ages on toes).
With gel it can be buffed down and another colour put over the top and to fill in the gaps at the bottom where your nails have grown. Shellac needs to be totally removed each time and re-applied.
Why not go for Minx? Loads of fab patterns to choose from. Will definitely last over a holiday and don't seem to damage nails.

SarahGoodwin33 Fri 05-Apr-13 12:40:02

I can vouch for gel toenails. I wasn't sure at first as I thought they would need re-doing every couple of weeks so why not stick with express pedicure every week or so (hate doing my own nails!).
After a friend tried them and showed me how lovely they were I gave it a go when I went full time as Sarah (I am ts) and never looked back. They last ages and ages, 6 weeks during colder weather as they are protect in socks/tights for most of the time but are still there should you be flasing your toes for any reason.
Go for it

jumpingjackhash Fri 05-Apr-13 12:46:51

Shellac and Gellish are both brands of gel polish that do the same thing - OPI also does one that's exactly the same. The only difference that might make you pick one over the other is the colour options (or your salon might only stock one or two). Gel nails are different.

Shellac/Gellish/OPI gel thingy are great for an occasion or when you need your mani/pedi to look good for a while but continual use will wreck your nails.

I've never had gel nails/falsies but would certainly get the gel polish (Shellac/Gellish/OPI thing) for a holiday (you've just reminded me to book an appointment!). The pedi should last you a couple of months, the mani would last 2-3 weeks before re-growth makes them look a bit naff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now