Talk

Advanced search

Following on from the items of clothing that scream tourist thread

(11 Posts)
BeebiesQueen Thu 04-Apr-13 16:25:35

What items of clothing should we be wearing abroad, or just in the summer (if the sun ever does come out!)

QueefLatina Thu 04-Apr-13 16:35:13

I have trained myself over the years to buy summer stuff that is a similar colour and shape to winter stuff but in lighter fabrics, maybe a bright t shirt as my limit. I always seemed to buy really brightly coloured things and floaty, embellished, chiffon type things that I wouldn't dream of wearing in the UK.

PretzelTime Thu 04-Apr-13 16:41:15

White linen shorts and bum bags...just kidding.
I'd like to know what sorts of summer trousers S&B are OK with, as linen trousers and shorts seems to be out of question.

Bunbaker Thu 04-Apr-13 17:36:19

I would like some thoughts as well.

I generally take shorts, dresses, a couple of maxis, tank top style vest tops, trousers (yes they are linen) and skirts. Plus sandals and flip flops and a cardigan or two for chilly evenings.

weebarra Thu 04-Apr-13 17:57:11

I generally take dresses (not maxis cos I'm under 5 feet and it just looks daft), skirts, t-shirts and sandals. I'm going on holiday in June and having DC3 at the end of August, so people will mostly be looking at the bump rather than clothes.

NotTreadingGrapes Thu 04-Apr-13 18:01:38

If you come here (sth Italy) you must be orange before you come, have tight white jeans (whether male or female, and whatever your size) a leopard skin tight t shirt with your knockers or hairy chest hanging out. (all crepey and orange, think the natural-leather-handbag look) Your heels must be high and your hair must be professionally straightened and not its natural colour.

If you are a man, the de rigeur style is to look as if you have been blindfolded and sent into the wardrobe. Pastels are very very in for men, especially the over 50s. Pink trousers, an orange t shirt and a yellow jacket. You would blend in beautifully

<explodes another myth about Italian style>

Obviously, none of the above will be worn until after 15th June. Which is The Day It Gets Hot. Until then you must wear a fur parka and at least 5 layers underneath. Or you will die of an "attack of cold".

HTH grin

Bunbaker Thu 04-Apr-13 18:04:22

What are the fashion police rules in Dubrovnik?

lalalonglegs Thu 04-Apr-13 18:04:55

Pastel coloured jeans. Satin sneakers (Boden used to do a good range). I still love a slightly quirky Breton top - I've got a sleeveless one which is slightly assymetric and has a zip in the shoulder and another long-sleeved one which has a lime stripe right at the bottom and no stripes from the breast bone up. Good sandals and interesting toe polish are essential.

MarshaBrady Thu 04-Apr-13 18:06:14

I take skirts, shorts, tshirts and bikinis and yes do have a maxi dress - so easy.

But wear with ballet flats.

Bunbaker Thu 04-Apr-13 18:08:47

Jeans will be too hot, and I don't do pastel colours on my bottom half as they exaggerate the size sad

bonzo77 Thu 04-Apr-13 18:14:51

Summer versions of winter stuff. I only really wear black and jeans, so I tend to wear knee length jersey dresses, usually black! And Birkenstocks or wedge sandals. I'm short and hour glass so shorts look minging on me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now