Talk

Advanced search

Smelly White Stuff

(18 Posts)
DieWilde13 Thu 04-Apr-13 16:22:25

I am grumpy, and walking into White Stuff today as not lifted my mood!

I used to really like their stuff and buy something every time I set foot in the shop. For the last year or so I haven't bought one single item. Flimsy, overpriced shit.

Tried on an ok-ish denim skirt, which of course try didn't have in my size. Good job, as I bought a very nice one half an hour later in bhs for £15 instead of £45.

Did some ironing earlier and all my white stuff tops are smelly. Most of our clothes are cotton and don't smell, so it's a white stuff problem.

Just that really jeez, I am grumpy. Nothing to do with school holidays at all!

LadyMountbatten Thu 04-Apr-13 16:23:43

Plus - Frumptastic

Songbird Thu 04-Apr-13 16:28:57

I've got a gorgeous White Stuff tunicy top thing and I think it smells funny too. Don't understand it either - 100% cotton. It's the only White Stuff thing I own as they're so expensive for what they are.

PretzelTime Thu 04-Apr-13 16:33:36

Do the clothes smell of sweat easily or is it a chemical smell? (I never shop there)

DieWilde13 Thu 04-Apr-13 16:41:44

Pretzel, the smell is not sweaty or chemical, it's a little musty, slightly old people-ish, if that makes sense.

LadyMountbatten Thu 04-Apr-13 16:42:39

It smells of women who have Given Up.

DieWilde13 Thu 04-Apr-13 16:45:00

Might it be a sign?

Posterofapombear Thu 04-Apr-13 18:36:43

I stupidly brought a load of White Stuff clothes and I feel awful wearing them.
I described them to DH as clothes which say 'I am mostly still alive, just about'

foxysocks Thu 04-Apr-13 18:59:45

nothing in white stuff has ever fitted me properly.

kerstina Thu 04-Apr-13 19:48:48

I agree the sizing is wrong .Everything is usually too big.
I do like some things from there. Lots of stuff is frumpy in the same way Boden is but you can find some nice quirky things if you take the trouble to look. I have a knitted waistcoat with mismatched buttons and have just ordered a shirt in the sale with tiny letters on. I like the quality of the knitwear. Only usually buy sale items though.

Eliza22 Thu 04-Apr-13 21:45:35

They've gone right off the rails ( pardon the pun). A load of overpriced t-shirt material, made into badly fitting dresses half way up your backside that "sticks" to your tights when you walk.

I haven't bought there in a long time and used to be a big fan.

It's awful stuff. But I walked past one today and the window had a model of a cat playing with a mouse, except the mouse was a computer mouse. It amused me hugely, which probably says far more about me than it does about the shop tbh.

No idea re the smell though, sorry.

Lurleene Thu 04-Apr-13 22:49:24

I have given up buying anything 't-shirty' from White Stuff as I find they are so thin that they develop holes as they rub against my waistband. I had one new top on for less than an hour before it looked like moths had been at it!

I must admit I do still buy other bits from there, especially when I go to the outlet at Gunwharf Quays.

Lurleene Thu 04-Apr-13 22:50:47

I also have a couple of size 12s from there. I wish I was a size 12.

Eliza22 Fri 05-Apr-13 08:59:23

Yes! Lureen you're right about their sizing, which is why I only ever bought from a shop.

Years ago, I bought a cotton/linen shirt called "Mickey Collar". Lovely thick, sturdy top it was. So liked it, I went back and bought two more. I realised on day, when ironing them that they were sized 8, 10 and 12. They all fitted exactly the same! confused

HarderToKidnap Fri 05-Apr-13 09:30:08

I have just bought their "easy peasy" dress which is one of the best day dresses I have ever owned, although it looks hideous on the Internet. Had a 40% off code which made it worth it. Their sorrel jeans are lovely rolled up with flip flops, and I have a reasonable pair of linen trousers, again 40% off. Never noticed a smell tho...

CambridgeBlue Sat 06-Apr-13 08:44:26

I saw that window display too Remus and it made me laugh. Was by far the best thing in the shop though, everything else looked like saggy old dishcloths. I used to quite like a few WS bits but there wasn't a single thing I liked or would want to pay such inflated prices for.

Dilidali Sat 06-Apr-13 08:57:23

I have lots of dresses from White Stuff, bought years ago when they just started. However, I stopped as the quality became atrocious.
I happened to be in London a few years back and went to a big John Lewis and saw a dress I tried in White Stuff in my town. Exactly the same dress but the quality was 100% better. Apparently John Lewis has a Whitr Stuff range called 'superior' or something along those lines. The price was the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now