Talk

Advanced search

Calling all hair dressers and home dye experts- HELP

(11 Posts)
GeorgiePorgiePudding Thu 04-Apr-13 09:43:21

Hello

Right, some background: I had my hair platinum blonde (pretty much white) for about 4 years. I always had the colour and toner done at the hairdressers for all of this time.

A few weeks ago I had a dark brown dye put on as my hairdresser was worried about what more bleaching would to my, frankly knackered, hair.

Now the colour's faded to a nice warm light brown with blonde flecks. While I'm happy with the colour ATM, I'm aware it'll fade more and I'm looking into dying it again.

Now: Superdrug are doing 3 for 1 on their own brand hair dye and I'm toying with the idea of getting some and trying it out. I've never dyed my hair at home before so I'm a bit apprehensive as I have no idea what I'm doing and I have no idea what the colour will come out like given the platinum colour that I had it for ages.

This is the link to the product that's on offer:
http://www.superdrug.com/superdrug-foam-colour-deep-cherry-brown-356/invt/278665

As you can see, it's got very good reviews but they all seem to come from experienced home dyers!

Any help or advice you can give me on making the leap into home dying is very very much appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. Sorry if I sound like a massive wimp!

GeorgiePorgiePudding Thu 04-Apr-13 09:44:07

www.superdrug.com/superdrug-foam-colour-deep-cherry-brown-356/invt/278665

Sorry, proper link.

GeorgiePorgiePudding Thu 04-Apr-13 10:24:26

Bump

JennySense Thu 04-Apr-13 13:07:42

Georgie I'd be nervous due to your previous colouring - you've no idea how it might turn out. Perhaps see if you can get some professional advice.

GeorgiePorgiePudding Thu 04-Apr-13 13:13:32

Hi Jenny Thanks for replying. Okay, that's good to know, I think I'll give it a miss for a while.

The only think I worry about with professional advice is that if I ask my hairdresser about dying at home she'll obviously say 'no you should get it done professionally' coz it's worth £70 a time for her! hmm

JennySense Thu 04-Apr-13 13:16:48

Yes, I've just made the leap to home dye for a while [john frieda] - I've just dyed over blonde highlights with no bad effects but I'm just worried that your hair may really take the dye iyswim
Why not do some intense home conditioning for a couple of weeks and then cut a bit from the back and strand test?

RunsWithScissors Thu 04-Apr-13 13:27:35

I agree that conditioning is a good idea, and definitely do a strand test. Your hair will really absorb the colour, so a dark colour probably isn't a good idea to start. Any red tones in the dye would come up really bright (good if that's what you want of course).

Have you thought about trying a semi perm dye? Maybe in a colour similar to this would be a good start ?

I've been home dying for 16 yrs now, but I admittedly go for more extreme colours, so a bit of extra brightness has always been a plus :-)

sounds very dark tbh which is fine if thats what you want. I would go for a few shades lighter and do a semi permanent first (definately strand test first) and yes a good conditioner or a coconut oil mask weekly for a bit.

purplewithred Thu 04-Apr-13 15:54:31

Speaking as a convert to home permanent dying, I can happily say that while the first time is a bit nerve wracking and fiddly from then on it's a doddle. The conditioner you get with it is really good too.

BinksToEnlightenment Thu 04-Apr-13 20:04:07

I know bleached hair will be very porous, so it will absorb colour very easily but also release it quickly. I would say for this reason it it is going to be cheaper to use home dye. I can't see how wrong going brown on brown could go.

fossil971 Thu 04-Apr-13 22:17:30

Did the hairdresser give you a semi permanent colour, is that why it's faded?

I do my home dyeing by copying the hairdresser - I sat in that chair for enough hours to see how they do it! I bought a colouring brush and a box of latex gloves. Rather than the foam/shampoo colours I use a cream one, mix it up in a bowl, paint on the roots first in little sections then after 20 minutes paint what's left over onto all my hair. I think the painting takes so long that the time the dye is on a good long time and I don't get much fading. It's quite a faff but worth it to save £65 IMO! I use L'Oreal Excellence but then it's to cover the grey stuff.

TBH you save so much money by doing it at home you don't really need to worry about 3 for 2 promotions smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now