Talk

Advanced search

Work tops for under suit jacket ?

(14 Posts)
CMOTDibbler Wed 03-Apr-13 11:22:52

Having lost a lot of weight recently, I'm going through a wardrobe update.

Mostly, I work from home, sometimes on site, but for a few weeks a year I need to be very formal and totally polished doing demos at a trade show or sales visits.

I like wearing dress suits, but also trouser suits.

But I can't find tops to go with the trouser suits - theres lots of floppy chiffon blouses that look rubbish on me, and I'm not keen on formal shirts.

I'm 40, silver haired, 5'9, size 10 trouser, size 12 top, 30FF norks.

Any ideas?

HazleNutt Wed 03-Apr-13 12:13:44

I think cowl necks look good under suit jackets, if you have a big bust.
Something like this:
bananarepublic.gap.eu/browse/product.do?cid=5042&vid=1&pid=000326076O108-09741
I have several from Phase 8 as well.

Waferthinmint Wed 03-Apr-13 12:51:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CMOTDibbler Thu 04-Apr-13 13:17:28

The Banana Republic is nice - wish they had my size in the green!

I never feel smart enough in just a plain t shirt - weird I know.

noviceoftheday Thu 04-Apr-13 13:34:21

Hi, I second cowl necks. Kaliko do quite a few. I wore this top yesterday with grey trouser suit. I have just looked and they have the top in olive green. I also have a top similar to this phase eight one.

CMOTDibbler Fri 05-Apr-13 10:27:12

I love that top Novice, but wish the red was still available as I like brighter colours than olive.

Will keep looking

noddyholder Fri 05-Apr-13 10:29:13

I think those drapey tops although supposed to flatter big boobs add bulk. I like thinner no drape like silk/linen but may be too crumply for formal office wear.Collarless deep v silky shirts look great mango and zara have them

CMOTDibbler Fri 05-Apr-13 10:35:11

I am v bad with linen, and my most formal dressing always involves travelling, so crumpling is not good. Will look at Zara

MagratGarlik Fri 05-Apr-13 11:25:02

I have that top, novice, but in black. Love it. It's very flattering and goes with loads of stuff.

I tend to go for cowl neck or drapey t-shirts, from Hobbs or from M&S Autograph.

teta Fri 05-Apr-13 16:56:29

Have you looked at Pure Collection?.They have silk cowl-neck t shirts and blouses that i am waiting to buy when a decent code comes along.

noviceoftheday Fri 05-Apr-13 17:11:05

The other retailer I would recommend is Ann Taylor. American but now ship here. It's a workwear staple store in the US. I wore this top a couple of weeks ago with a black trouser suit and it looked great. V flattering.

this Austin reed top is £25 and got complimented a lot when I wore it. Flattering without being too 'booby'.

Magrat, yes I bought that top for nights out but realised it was versatile and works with so many different things and situations. The perfect top smile

suebfg Fri 05-Apr-13 18:18:53

The main issue with suit tops is the length as you need something that is shorter than the suit jacket. I would opt for a cream top with a lace front. There are lots around - check out mango or oasis

LittlePandaBear Fri 05-Apr-13 18:38:15

I have this in blue from House of Fraser. Lots of colours to choose from though. The material is quite thin but for the sale price it's good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now