Talk

Advanced search

Anything wonderful to be had in Germany?

(13 Posts)
dottyaboutstripes Wed 03-Apr-13 10:46:48

Or any mega bargains?

TheaJTS Wed 03-Apr-13 18:12:07

Germany has lots of great sites, good food... but fashion?? - hmmmm!

I go there a lot and it's pretty slim pickings. Also in recent years the Euro exchange rate means that clothing prices are rather higher than here in the UK (and the quality is often really grim).

C&A is still going strong over there, which may be a plus or a minus depending on your point of view! (I did get some really nice basic t-shirts there last year for just 3.95 euros each!)

If you find anything great, or anyone has any great suggestions, then I'd love to know.

googietheegg Wed 03-Apr-13 19:07:59

Art Deco make up is fab and in loads of pharmacies.

Scootergrrrl Wed 03-Apr-13 19:15:31

German Nivea is supposed to be a completely different formulation to the UK version - there are threads on Make Up Alley comparing it to Creme de la Mer. Plus, they have a lot of Dr Hanuschka in the shops here. We have not yet, however, found a hidden gem of a clothes shop......

auldspinster Wed 03-Apr-13 20:25:13

I remember looking in a shoe shop in Berlin, some of the ugliest footwear I've ever seen. Booze is cheap as chips and great sweeties.

Beaverfeaver Wed 03-Apr-13 20:32:48

Sausages

Beaverfeaver Wed 03-Apr-13 20:33:32

Oops, this is style & Beauty!

TheaJTS Wed 03-Apr-13 20:56:45

auldspinster - yes! What my husband calls 'constipated shoes' ;-)

TheaJTS Wed 03-Apr-13 20:57:53

Scootergrrrl - very interesting about the Nivea. I'll be in Germany in a couple of weeks, and will check that out!

Matsikula Wed 03-Apr-13 21:00:25

I quite like Marc O Polo which is a bit sexy preppy but not cheap.

If you are going to Berlin there is also a big princesse tam tam and loads of fab vintage shops. Could you rock a vintage dirndl or Loden jacket?

Dr Haushka and Weleda are both cheaper there, and I rate Guhl shampoo.

Otherwise you might get lucky with nice local boutiques and niche brands, but I can't think of any other major chains.

CardiCorgi Thu 04-Apr-13 07:16:07

Whereabouts in Germany will you be?
The only high street shops I can think of which I don't see on trips back to the UK are Esprit and C&A, if either of those are your style. I tend to agree about the shoes, but I'm rubbish at shoe shopping anyway.

Codello (scarves) and Roeckl (known for their gloves but they do other accessories too) are both German companies.

turkeyboots Thu 04-Apr-13 07:43:46

Get some winter or snow boots? They have much better winter clothes than in the UK, but might not be in the shops.

dottyaboutstripes Thu 04-Apr-13 07:49:13

I'm not going, dh is (Hamburg). I suppose I meant beauty rather than style, should've said that!
Booze is always good smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now