Talk

Advanced search

Ooh, something nice at Seasalt..?

(23 Posts)
ToastedTeacakes Tue 02-Apr-13 22:28:59

This:

http://www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/women/new-arrivals/organic-cotton-striped-breton-tunic-with-pockets_orca_ecru.htm#product-measurements

Wonder if the fit is good and whether it doesn't fit like a burlap sack on non models...

ToastedTeacakes Tue 02-Apr-13 22:29:15

bollocks link

www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/women/new-arrivals/organic-cotton-striped-breton-tunic-with-pockets_orca_ecru.htm#product-measurements

ToastedTeacakes Tue 02-Apr-13 22:30:08

Just think, kids, if Toast made this it would cost £300 trillionty pounds.

furbaby Tue 02-Apr-13 22:42:25

Ooh gotta love a bit of seasalt . I ordered 2 scarves off them on sunday as was it was free postage til monday .

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Tue 02-Apr-13 23:02:32

They have nice things, sad that they have stopped doing children's clothes though.

I live by their outlet shop so restrict my shopping to the bargains from there.

ToastedTeacakes Tue 02-Apr-13 23:06:59

the dress/tunic seems like a nice shape. Better than the Joules one I'd been eying.

Dereksmalls Tue 02-Apr-13 23:08:40

Sorry, their clothes are so dingy. I was sent a catalogue once and it looked like an amalgamation of the clothes ads you see in the back pages of the Daily Telegraph, all elastic waist bands and comfortable slacks. Had heard such good things about Seasalt, I was so disappointed.

BunnyLebowski Tue 02-Apr-13 23:10:01

Not for me. Those breton tops/tunics are like a unofficial mummy uniform.

A quick look at the "tunic/dress" section of their website depresses me.

Welcome to Frumpsville, ye who shop here.

libertychick Tue 02-Apr-13 23:19:03

Some of the Seasalt stuff looks v frumpy but I do like the breton T's and tunics. But I do like a stripe - and guilty as charged on mummy uniform!

ToastedTeacakes Tue 02-Apr-13 23:28:57

Not yet purchased from them, but have a fantasy this dress would hit just above knee and not add frumpage. A girl can dream. Been looking for a decent striped dress for ever now.

I do think they could make a bit more effort really. The skirts terrify me. Why so damn long???? Such odd lengths and patterns. Would it kill them to streamline and add a few variations in length? Ah bugger it.

ujjayi Wed 03-Apr-13 00:44:05

I ordered two of their "sailor shirts" today - the green/ecru and ecru/navy. I am hoping they will be as lusciously soft & expensive feeling as a top of theirs I had from a few years ago (which I ebayed as neckline didn't suit).

Agree their skirts are a bizarre length and therefore generally frumpsville. However, I do have one which I bought in a sale and took up to just above the knee and I love it. It's a floral which looks great teamed with tan ankle boots and a lightweight knit. Styling, styling, styling!

From my experience, their clothing is very well made and fabric quality is good.

Actually I do have a striped dress from Toast which was another sale bargain! Teal & olive stripes.

Waferthinmint Wed 03-Apr-13 09:34:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Waferthinmint Wed 03-Apr-13 09:34:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 03-Apr-13 09:50:22

No shape at all - you might as well wrap a cardboard box around yourself.

My experience of Seasalt: I often go to Fowey, where there's a branch (am there at the moment), and was amazed one time when two women, both in stripey/nautical tops and bulky fleeces, bought more tops/fleeces almost identical to what they were wearing.

I suppose in a seaside town the 'just off the water' look might be acceptable in the yacht club, but it's not a look I aim to emulate. And DH is a sailor.

It reminds me of Joules - some of the things look reasonable/nice colour on the hanger, but always turn out to be frumpy when tried on.

Owllady Wed 03-Apr-13 09:52:32

mudd and water do some nice striped bretons and striped tunics

Owllady Wed 03-Apr-13 09:54:17

http://www.muddandwater.com/kaftans-and-tunics/blissed-out-tunic-navy-white-stripe

http://www.muddandwater.com/tops-and-vests/marina-tee-navy-white-stripe

I don't really care about them being classed as frumpy. Sometimes I just want to wear something comfortable tbh

Owllady Wed 03-Apr-13 09:54:41

www.muddandwater.com/kaftans-and-tunics/blissed-out-tunic-navy-white-stripe

www.muddandwater.com/tops-and-vests/marina-tee-navy-white-stripe

Fluxedo Wed 03-Apr-13 11:08:53

I love their Breton tops - really great, heavy material and good fit. I'm sure the dress/tunic thing would be the same. I'm also after a stripy dress but that one looks like it would be a bit too shapeless on me. But not frumpy if worn with tanned bare legs, IMO.

Don't care if Breton stripes are a mummy uniform, I love them and I'm not a mummy anyway.

ujjayi Wed 03-Apr-13 11:11:50

I agree that Joules, Boden, & SeaSalt attract a particular type of customer and I do look at some of the range and despair ......however, if you have no flair or imagination when it comes to clothes then even buying into the most exciting or edgy of brands will not do you any favours.

What I like about all 3 of these companies is that the quality of fabrics and finish of the clothes is good - increasingly rare amongst high street tat fest these days. What matters is not how the company dress up the clothing, it is what YOU do with it that makes it stylish or not.

IMO, it all comes down to styling. Wearing a breton with a fleece will always look like "mummy uniform" (whatever that is hmm Surely the ubiquitous skinnies & scarf also falls into that category). Joules had a brilliant campaign a 2 years ago where they styled tea dresses with back-combed hair, layered up with tees & cardigans, jumpers, blazers etc and it looked very cool. Like TopShop for Grown Ups.

LaurieFairyCake Wed 03-Apr-13 11:12:24

I like their jersey tunics, look great with leggings - very fitted, lovely colours - not frumpsville on me.

Fluxedo Wed 03-Apr-13 11:17:12

Totally agree ujjayi. It's how you wear it. An all brands that make their clothes out of decent material need to be encouraged!

Fluxedo Wed 03-Apr-13 11:17:24

*And

Startail Wed 03-Apr-13 11:24:36

Sea salt are big, I have a 12 top and I'm a 14/16. My 16 tunic is loose. Good because I always layer it over a long-sleeved T, but tents vile if I wanted to wear it as a summer too on it's own.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now