Talk

Advanced search

Handcream help?

(24 Posts)
cakesonatrain Tue 02-Apr-13 14:13:36

Can you recommend your favourite handcream for my cracking-due-to-frequent-washing (2 dc in nappies) hands?
Don't want v perfumed and don't mind if a bit pricey, as it could be a birthday present if there's a magic fancy expensive one.

Ta.

BestLaidPlans Tue 02-Apr-13 14:51:45

I love L'Occitane Shea Butter. Saved my horrific looking hands when pregnant with DC2 (lots of hand washing due to nappy changing DD1, washing hands for gestational diabetes blood tests and the usual pregnancy related endless trips to the loo). The consultant's helpful advice was to wash my hands less - luckily the shea butter worked!

worthitornot Tue 02-Apr-13 14:53:20

Aveeno lotion... not classy i guess but if i slather loads on at night my hads are repaired by the morning... I had hideous dry skin and splitting knuckles from endless washing and the cold and it seems to cure them overnight...

BagCat Tue 02-Apr-13 14:53:56

Soap and Glory Hand Food, rich and lovely but doesn't go on greasy. Tis lovely smile

ellesabe Tue 02-Apr-13 14:54:49

I would also recommend aveeno. If they're really bad the dr will prescribe something. You may want to do this if you still get free prescriptions...

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 02-Apr-13 15:06:41

When you put it on at night wear cotton gloves, I get mine from pound world but Asda does them cheaply too, there £3 a pair in boots.

BinksToEnlightenment Tue 02-Apr-13 15:09:59

I've got the body shop's hemp hand cream to try on a few recommendations. It's effective but it absolutely stinks. It smells like a rotting bush. It was half price in there on Friday though, so £5.

What are you washing your hands with though? It's worth getting a very moisturising hand wash.

cakesonatrain Tue 02-Apr-13 15:18:24

Ooh, thanks everyone. Had forgotten about Aveeno - I used to love the smell as a teenager. The L'Occitane one sounds yummy too.

Washing hands with a blue Carex handwash - not the most moisturising! Will address that, too.

Would still get free prescriptions, but cba with the faff of taking toddler & baby with me to GP! And happy to pay for something that works.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 02-Apr-13 15:22:52

You can use aqueous cream to wash hands, you don't really need anti-bacterial soaps.

Even the nhs just uses liquid soap, hibiscrubs only for operating areas.

nellyjelly Tue 02-Apr-13 15:26:21

That norwegian stuff is great ime.

cakesonatrain Tue 02-Apr-13 15:31:22

What is aqueous cream? <ignorant>

LadyWidmerpool Tue 02-Apr-13 15:34:28

Body Shop almond hand and nail cream is lovely and smells nice. It's done wonders for my never-ending winter hands. It's the only hand cream I've ever finished and replaced. You can get a tube for £5.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 02-Apr-13 15:37:42

It's a very cheap cream designed for washing restricted mobility patients that you can get for £1 for a 500g tub in the cheap shops.

It can be used as a moisturiser too but I prefer to use it for washing.

cakesonatrain Tue 02-Apr-13 15:41:03

The NHS stuff doesn't seem very kind to hands though - everywhere that DH has worked he's got dry bands.

NaturalBaby Tue 02-Apr-13 15:41:07

L'Occitane. I've just got a prescription for Cetrben emolient cream and it's amazing - my skin was so dry the skin was splitting and the emolient cream cleared it up within a day.

cakesonatrain Tue 02-Apr-13 15:41:31

Bands? Hands!

MrsJohnDeere Tue 02-Apr-13 15:42:17

Another vote for aveeno. Magic stuff and it smells lovely too. About £5 for a large tube iirc.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 02-Apr-13 16:02:02

I don't think any soap can over-ride 20+ times a day hand washing though sad.

They just use a basic cheap soap.

KatyS36 Tue 02-Apr-13 16:09:03

I suffered badly when on maternity leave but I got a massive improvement when I switched from using liquid soap to imperial leather bar soap.

Buy a lovely hand cream by all means but this might help too - and is cheap. Good luck. Katy

TallulahBetty Tue 02-Apr-13 17:33:39

Another vote for Soap and Glory's Hand Food. Lovely consistency and smell, and not greasy.

I hate the smell of the S&G stuff.

Aveeno is good, or Clarins or Hand Relief by Aveda, but the one that works best when my hands are really horrible is Flexitol.

NotYouNaanBread Tue 02-Apr-13 17:38:55

I love Aveda's rather unfortunately named Hand Relief.

Euphemia Tue 02-Apr-13 18:22:26

Neutrogena Norwegian Formula - no perfume, not greasy. Lovely.

cakesonatrain Tue 02-Apr-13 18:46:15

Hand Relief? Might have to try that grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now