Talk

Advanced search

Need new foundation - suggestions?

(14 Posts)
LittleMissSnowShine Tue 02-Apr-13 13:50:02

I'm not a big make up wearer - never really have been but definitely used to spend more time and money on this when I was a teenager / student. Then somehow life, work and running round after DS took over and I haven't really spent a lot of time or effort on make up since 2009 when I got married, beyond just a bit of mascara, lipgloss and tinted moisturiser for work.

Anyway, I'm 21 weeks pg and feeling a bit exhausted looking after 2.5 yo DS and after months of HG and I am also off to a wedding next weekend and I'd love to get some nice make up this week. I can't spend an absolute fortune but I could be tempted to push the boat out for something really good! Main thing on the shopping list is foundation.

I'm fairly pale, freckles (yes...still!), don't need major coverage but maybe something with built-in illuminator to compensate for tiredness would be good and I have the rosy cheeked err glow of pg to contend with! Recommendations?

miche8 Tue 02-Apr-13 14:26:33

You don't say if you have oily or dry skin, I'm some where in the middle and like the oil free Laura mercier tinted moisturiser, as you don't wear makeup are you wanting a foundation or something light? I have a sample of the new Ysl foundation which is quite nice and I might buy, I've also heard good things about the bourjois healthy mix serum. I've given up on drug store ones because I can't try them out first, I would go to a counter and get them to apply it and then ask for some in a pot, that usually lasts a few days.

Iatemyskinnyperson Tue 02-Apr-13 15:35:17

Bourjois healthy mix might suit as its about the best for paler skin. Max factor are having a bit of a moment too- there's one of theirs in flat black tube that has a great pale shade & lovely texture.

If your feeling 'flat' and washed out, maybe a nice blusher would be good idea? A nice soft coral suits most people

Turquoiseblue Tue 02-Apr-13 15:42:49

You know what - I am totally surprised, shocked actually by rimmel new 'wake me up' (I think that s the name - one with the orange lid). It s really really fabulous. I generally used LM tinted or EL double wear light. Can't believe I ve been converted to this but there you go. Try it ! smile

LittleMissSnowShine Tue 02-Apr-13 19:33:39

I'd like a foundation to wear on evenings out, times when I need a bit more coverage etc. Tinted moisturiser is fine for work (I work in a v casual environment lol) or trips to park with toddler but I kind of feel under dressed without a proper foundation for evening times if that makes sense!

My skin is combination, probably leaning slightly towards dry.

I do love YSL, touche eclat and mascara are two fail safe products so might take a look at their foundation...

V surprised and pleased to hear Rimmel have a good new foundation! How well does it last - do you need to reapply often?

Haven't heard anything about Bourjois healthy mix either - something else to check out. Love getting recommendations!!

chunkymonkeybaby Tue 02-Apr-13 19:58:51

I use Bare Minerals and really like it. You say you're not a big makeup wearer and one of the reasons I like Bare Minerals is that it doesn't feel like you're wearing heavy makeup. I know some people find the original foundation a bit shiny but they do a matte version too which is good.

cocolepew Tue 02-Apr-13 20:01:52

I bought the lilac L'Oreal CC cream last week. I thought it was for under make up but it changes into foundation, it is a bit dark though. There are about 4 different colours. The lilac is for dull, yellow toned skin.

JaxTellerIsMyFriend Tue 02-Apr-13 20:02:42

I have Dermalogica tinted moisturiser for day to day use and summer time until my face stops looking pale blue colour! And Estee Lauder Double wear light. Both of these you can get samples for to try out first.

My new favourite item is the Touche Eclat Foundation from YSL, got a huge sample that will last me ages to try out and I am really liking it.

Some friends have said Laura Mercier is good... might try that out too.

I always come back to Estee Lauder though for evenings, it lasts.

Turquoiseblue Tue 02-Apr-13 22:43:52

Lasts well enough - have to touch up once maybe if I m being fussy. I would generally pop it on over moisturiser and then a quick dust of blush or bronzer. Good coverage and a nice range of colours - not too "yellow" which I often find difficulty with

KenDoddsDadsDog Tue 02-Apr-13 22:51:11

YSL Teint Eclat is absolutely amazing. And I have tried many a foundation !

ZacharyQuack Tue 02-Apr-13 23:42:57

NARS Sheer Glow is lovely. It is pricey, but you only need to apply a little bit so a bottle will last a long time. It has medium coverage, but you can apply a bit more to build it up where needed. It has a really natural, yet glowy, finish.

BlueSuedeStiletto Wed 03-Apr-13 00:28:28

I love Clinique Best Ever- it's light coverage and has illuminating stuff in and it really evens out the skintone. It's a lovely texture too, and you don't need a lot. It's great for me as I'm so pale even light foundations look a bit dark! I bought it in an airport before it was out in the UK and I was DESPERATE for it to come out here! It's also SPF15 which is a bonus.

EllenParsons Wed 03-Apr-13 01:44:01

I was also going to say NARS sheer glow. It's so lovely. Really natural coverage and does make you look glowy I'm a healthy fresh way. I am pale with pinky toned skin and the colour mont Blanc is a perfect match for me.

LittleMissSnowShine Wed 03-Apr-13 08:30:06

Ahhh!! Loads of good recommendations!! Since I love YSL eye cream, face mask, mascara and touche eclat I am feeling pretty tempted by their foundation. Used to have a NARs blusher a few years ago that I loved as well. Think this may necessitate a trip into town on Thurs evening to reward me for a hard week of potty training DS! I'll report back to let you know which one I end up with - thanks everyone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now