Talk

Advanced search

Would you like this as a birthday present.

(22 Posts)
Whitershadeofpale Tue 02-Apr-13 10:29:35

It's my DM's birthday soon and she's had a rough time lately. She was complaining the other day that she felt like she's in a bit of a style rut and is lacking inspiration.

I was thinking of booking her an appointment with a personal shopper at John Lewis and giving her some vouchers or money to spend. I would go with her and then out for a nice lunch.

Do you think this is a nice idea? Or could it look a bit like I was saying I think she looks like crap?

I wouldn't personally, as I absolutely hate the idea of a stranger looking me up and down and I'm so fussy that I'd be bound to loathe anything they brought me anyway! But you know your mum and if she'd like it or not. The lunch and some vouchers sound v thoughtful, with or without the personal shopper.

rubyrubyruby Tue 02-Apr-13 10:35:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jins Tue 02-Apr-13 10:37:41

I couldn't think of anything worse for me but as she's said she's in a style rut you may get away with it. I'd have thought she'd prefer shopping with you though

babysaurus Tue 02-Apr-13 10:38:25

Sounds lovely! If you are the kind who would appreciate that sort of thing, someone giving fresh ideas to get you out of a style rut (which I presume she is.) I certainly wouldn't think it was someone's way of saying I looked crap if it was me ( you'd have to be quite neurotic to think that, surely?)

Whitershadeofpale Tue 02-Apr-13 10:38:35

She did do a personal shopping thing about 5 years ago and even though she didn't like all of the clothes they picked she said it helped her think outside of her comfort zone and brought things she would never have usually even tried on.

pictish Tue 02-Apr-13 10:40:28

It depends on her really. I'd not thank you for it, as I am a miserable bitch that would hate to be patronised by a sales assistent paid to attend to me....BUT there are bound to be lots of people who think it sounds peachy!

yousankmybattleship Tue 02-Apr-13 10:41:16

It would be my idea of hell. Sorry! I'm also stuck in a rut and not very confident and I think I'd end up with a whole load of stuff I didn't really like just to please the personal shopper!

miche8 Tue 02-Apr-13 11:07:05

I think it's a lovely idea as she's mentioned she's stuck in a rut, having you there and a nice lunch would be a nice day out. Years ago I had a bad experience at debenhams I ended up buying lots that just wasn't me and I only wore it a few times. Recently I booked an appointment at John lewis I wasn't expecting much but I was very happy with the outcome, the lady wasn't pushy but she got me trying things I would never have looked at, I narrowed it down to a few items and she sent me off to have lunch and told me to come back if I wanted to buy anything, she put them by for a few hours, having spent the last few years wearing cheap brands, it's introduced me to new more expensive brands, I had to think very carefully about what I bought and only bought what I loved rather than 'it will do', anyway it was a good experience for me and I will go back soon to stock up for summer.

EggbertShellyandYoko Tue 02-Apr-13 11:47:59

What about a spa day, where she could go and have some treatments and relax? Or maybe a haircut/beauty treatments (like getting eyebrows done, facial) at a good salon? She may feel a bit 'under the spotlight' if her confidence isn't too high at the moment if she has a shopping day as a gift. I think she will appreciate that you have thought of her, as your original idea shows you are a kind thoughtful daughter.

Suuki Tue 02-Apr-13 13:49:59

Yes I'd love it. DH did this for me once, not at JL though - it wasn't him saying my style was crap (I hope!) it was more 'go treat yourself and buy lots of clothes on me'. If she likes shopping she'll probably love it.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 02-Apr-13 13:55:20

Jins Tue 02-Apr-13 13:55:49

I take back saying I couldn't think of anything worse. A spa day would be much worse

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 02-Apr-13 13:58:01

Whitershadeofpale Tue 02-Apr-13 16:01:36

Thanks, I think I'll mention that I'm considering having it done and gauge her reaction. If good I'll book it if not I'll just get some vouchers and we'll have a nice day out shopping.

She would like a spa dayEgg but to be honest by the time I'd added in treatments she would like and I'd obviously have to pay for myself, it would end up way over budget.

My thinking with this would be that I'd give her some vouchers to spend (probably about £50) and she always gets other birthday money that she usually spends on clothes or bras, that she could spend on the day if she sees anything she likes. But then I thought she could use what she's learnt every other time she goes shopping, rather then wandering around getting more and more depressed and then buying a skirt she's already got at home in a different colour or a t-shirt that she claims 'will be OK for around the house'. I think if she had a bit more inspiration it would help her enjoy clothes again rather than just being a daily headache and settling for something that 'will do' iykwim.

LittleAbruzzenBear Tue 02-Apr-13 16:27:09

My DM did this as she was stuck in a rut and she came away with some lovely things. She also had her colours done by the same lady and has looked so much better since.

EggbertShellyandYoko Tue 02-Apr-13 19:44:26

There's an idea - what about a CMB consultation? Disclaimer - no idea how much they cost! but if expensive, could you and other family members club together to buy that?

LittlePandaBear Tue 02-Apr-13 20:53:04

My sis and I got my mum a personal shopper experience for her 60th in Debenhams. We went with her and she really loved it. She's not a shy person and the personal shopper really listened to what she liked/didn't like and found her some lovely things. You know your mum best but as long as you make it lighthearted and fun with no pressure then I'm sure she'll enjoy it.

joolsangel Wed 03-Apr-13 09:27:58

mmm tricky one. all depends on your mum and whether you think she would really like this and benefit. personally, if someone did that for me id hate it cos im fussy and id feel i would have to buy stuff that wasnt really me. everyones style and taste is different. if it were me, id rather go shopping together without the personal shopper. maybe you could go with her and help her choose as you have a better idea what her style is. hope her day is good whatever you decide!

UtterflyButterfly Wed 03-Apr-13 09:49:54

As you've said she had a previous session with a personal shopper and found it helpful, I think it's a lovely idea. And as you'll be there too, if you go shopping with her in future you'll be able to remind her of what was said and stop her slipping back into her rut!

Have a lovely day.

HeavenlyWineandRoses Wed 03-Apr-13 09:51:07

I'd love it and so would my mum. Great idea.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Wed 03-Apr-13 09:57:12

Given what she's said about being in a rut and lacking inspiration I think it's a great idea. She's been before so will know what to expect so should be okay with being under the spotlight. And John Lewis has a great range - something for everyone I would say. If you go too then I think that would make it easier to say no if she feels she is being bullied into buying things she's not sure about.
Can you tell I'd love someone to organise this for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now