Talk

Advanced search

Best shop bought false nails

(11 Posts)
DejaB00 Mon 01-Apr-13 18:19:43

Hi ladies
I am a compulsive nail biter fed up with the look of my hands. I have a christening to go to in 2 weeks' time and wonder if you could advise me which stick on nails are easiest to apply and most realistic looking? I did this years ago but can't remember the brand.
I also find it uncomfortable having very long nails so short ones would be best, or is it possible to trim them?
Sorry about all the questions and thanks.

Emo76 Mon 01-Apr-13 18:22:25

Hi, I get the extra short ones in a french manicure in a white packet from boots - can't remember the brand but they are great - because they are short they look more natural IMO.

ToastedTeacakes Mon 01-Apr-13 19:42:21

I used Broadway petites.(found in most Boots stores, a bit pricey at around £7 but worth it in my opinion)
Really durable and nice looking, with good quality glue and file, etc. I was a lifelong biter until about 2 yrs ago, and they basically paved the way for me quitting for good! I still keep a box handy for snappages.

ToothGah Mon 01-Apr-13 20:39:07

I think it's more about the glue than the nails IYSWIM.

I can grow my nails incredibly long (think an inch over my fingertips or more) but I go through phases (as I am at the moment) when they all seem to break or split.

I was a lifelong nail biter until my teens and since then I've grown and then bitten them - one year they would be long, then I'd break one and gnaw at it, then bite them all off.

I fall back on false nails when I'm in gnawing phase. Cheap nails are fine, Poundland and Primark sell them for a quid. Kiss Nails do a box of 100 in Boots for about £7 (currently on 3 for 2) which are good as well.

Whatever you use, just get a decent glue like Kiss from Boots (around £3 a bottle) and make sure you fit each nail properly.

To prevent peeling, put a blob of glue on your nail bed and a blob on the false nail when you apply - they will stay on longer and when the false ones do come off, you won't bring your real nail with it.

Keep them on the short side if possible (less risk of catching them and pulling them off) and soak them off properly for 10 minutes in hot water when you want to remove them.

applecrumbleandcream Mon 01-Apr-13 22:57:12

Can I just ask, if you take them off carefully can you re use them or are they designed for one wear use?

mirai Mon 01-Apr-13 23:59:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

issimma Tue 02-Apr-13 13:33:37

I tried the broadway ones from boots - fab on fingers, but rubbish on thumbs. Ended up having to peel them all off discreetly during a wedding reception! That said, I had been attempting to manhandle baby, buggies and nappies beforehand.

milktraylady Wed 03-Apr-13 14:10:50

Did you know you can get ones that are temporary? Ie not using superglue?

They last a few days if you are careful, look great & don't wreck your nails.

You do need to go to a massive boots/ superdrug tho & hunt tru all the packets.

They either come preglued, or a double sided sticky tape.

Which really makes me wonder if its possible to use double sided sticky tape on false nails to make your own. Hmmm? shock

freerangeeggs Wed 03-Apr-13 16:52:55

You can buy nailene ultra sticky tabs to hold them on. I do this sometimes as I used glue ones and it buggered up my nail beds and now my thumb nails have dents in them confused I buy the extra short ones from Boots too and they do look pretty natural.

They don't last as long, however -a few days at most. But I prefer them as I can take them off whenever I want without having to soak. I usually do it before a night out.

freerangeeggs Wed 03-Apr-13 16:53:33

Sorry, I meant Superdrug, not Boots.

milktraylady Thu 04-Apr-13 17:34:13

Freerange- do you use these tabs with normal false nails?
Sounds like a great idea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now