Talk

Advanced search

Funeral outfit ideas

(10 Posts)
noarguments Mon 01-Apr-13 16:16:17

Am rubbish at shopping and i live in jeans, but I really need something stylish to wear for my mums funeral next week. Something she would be pleased to see me in. sad

Am thinking navy or black trousers plus a smart jacket or cardigan. Need some texture or colour on top, don't want to be all black or all navy. Am hoping to find something in somewhere like John Lewis, m&s or next, no time for online ordering and having to return it if its not right.
Have got a few hours at most tomorrow or weds to find something, anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks

shallweshop Mon 01-Apr-13 16:27:27

So sorry for your loss. For my dad's funeral last year, I wore a black LK Bennett shift dress and a black coat. However, I note you said you don't want all black or navy. I think black or navy is equally suitable so either would do. What was your mum's favourite colour? Maybe you could get a nice shirt in that colour to go with trousers. The 3 shops you have mentioned are the ones I would suggest.

I know you say you haven't time for online ordering but I think all of those stores do next day delivery to a local store and you could order a selection of stuff and then try on in the comfort of your own home and then take what you don't want back after the funeral? Might be less stressy?

Good luck.

Bodicea Mon 01-Apr-13 16:48:04

For my grandmas funeral I wore a black dress with nude courts as I didn't want to be all in black x

ivanapoo Mon 01-Apr-13 16:58:50

Sorry about your mum.

I have worn black trousers with a pale shirt/top and black cardigan to a funeral before. Although I most recently wore a smart black dress.

How about a black and white patterned dress?
www.next.co.uk/x512116s3#773891x51

DianaTrent Mon 01-Apr-13 17:07:54

When my friend passed away a few weeks ago and I didn't have much time, I picked up a smart cheap black and white dress in TKMaxx. Took about 1 hour. The previous funeral I wore purple as that was her favourite colour. I am so sorry you have lost your Mum. Thinking of you.

Queenofknickers Mon 01-Apr-13 18:15:36

So, so sorry for your loss. thanksthanksthanksthanks
There is a nice smart dress in navy blue or dark grey on phase eight website half price at the moment. I wore the charcoal to my Grandad's funeral a few weeks ago with a black jacket and a black and grey scarf. Xxxxx

Bodicea Tue 02-Apr-13 19:08:52

Just read back properly. Didn't realise was your mum. So sorry for your loss xxxx

Nearly42 Tue 02-Apr-13 20:42:36

Sorry for your loss. At my dads funeral recently I wore a navy dress with a floral pattern. I was a bit worried it wasn't smart enough but it was a lovely dress and I knew I looked good in it, so I was very happy. What was even better is that I have worn it loads since and it always makes me think of my dad, in. Nice way xx

LaTrucha Tue 02-Apr-13 21:10:29

I wore sommething I thought would make my mum smile. In my case, that was splurging and buying a new purple coat. What sort of thing might that be for your mum?

What shops do you have in your high street? No point suggesting something you can't get hold of.

LaTrucha Tue 02-Apr-13 21:12:13

I think this is a very nice, smart but usable jacket for a not bad price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now