Talk

Advanced search

Should I get my colours done? Is it worth it?

(16 Posts)
susiefen Mon 01-Apr-13 14:26:57

Hi
I just wondered if people could give advice on if it is worth getting my colours done? I tend to wear a lot of black and occasionally when I wear a different colour I'm amazed how different I look, so I'd be intrigued to know what really suits me (and have an excuse to buy new things too) smile
I'm not sure how much it costs either so any guidance on this and how I find someone who does it would be much appreciated (I'm in the Nottingham area)
Thanks

DuttyWine Mon 01-Apr-13 14:28:46

Sorry I'm confused, what's getting your colours done??? blush

susiefen Mon 01-Apr-13 14:35:27

I mean when you go to a colour or image consultant and they tell you what colours you should wear based on your skin tone. I think they match you to a season, so you are a Winter or Spring etc and they send you off with a load of colour swatches to use when you shop

Hopefully Mon 01-Apr-13 14:36:05

Different companies have different prices, but you do get what you pay for. I only know HoC prices (as I'm a consultant...) but it's £99 for a colour class, which is several hours and at the end of it you should be v confident in your colours and how to use them.

I don't have a clue, but I'm marking my place to serif it's recommended as I was thinking of getting it for my mum.

WillieWEggledEgger Mon 01-Apr-13 14:38:16

My dp's mum paid for me to have it done as a birthday present, so not sure of cost, maybe £50-100?

It was interesting and useful, and fortunately the colours were ones I like anyway. I don't stick to the rules religiously though as I think that would be a bit stressful, but it's handy as a guide to knowing what suits you

I did struggle with looking at myself in the mirror for over an hour though!

DuttyWine Mon 01-Apr-13 14:41:24

Ooh never heard of that it sounds very good, I couldn't afford it though.

FrugalFashionista Mon 01-Apr-13 18:40:56

Absolutely worth it - you will avoid mistake purchases and everything in your wardrobe will eventually coordinate.

hugoagogo Mon 01-Apr-13 19:03:28

Get the book out from the library.

Casmama Mon 01-Apr-13 20:24:33

I think it would sometimes be very difficult to identify for yourself. I did HOC and it was absolutely worth it because you come away knowing not only what season you are but your very best ones, which ones are best just as accessories.

Casmama Mon 01-Apr-13 20:25:39

Also, if you go to HOC you will probably be in a class of 2-4 so you can see the process with someone else which is often easier to see.

Hopefully Mon 01-Apr-13 20:49:01

The book (and any online process) makes me a winter. I am emphatically not one.

JennySense Mon 01-Apr-13 20:53:21

Hopefully as you'rea consultant can you explain more? I'm intrigued...

JeanBodel Mon 01-Apr-13 21:02:34

I did it and I thought it was worth it. I am a blue spring, which I would never have been able to work out on my own.

I went with House of Colour and would reccommend them.

cheapskatemum Mon 01-Apr-13 21:04:23

I would recommend it as it means you can walk into TK Maxx and save yourself time by immediately ignoring anything that's not your colour. This makes it a 3 way saving: time, money (as you're in TK Maxx, it's cheaper anyway) and money as you don't buy things that never look quite right, because it's not your colour. I would also recommend a wardrobe consultation as well, because this goes into which styles suit you too. It cost me about £100, but that was a few years ago. Make sure your consultant trained with an accredited company (eg Colour Me Beautiful).

Hopefully Mon 01-Apr-13 21:05:09

I can witter on for hours about colour and style analysis. Safest not to get me started wink

In terms of colours, basically the 'right' colours for us make us look about a million times better. We all have a palette that suits us, in which we look slimmer, brighter, more stylish, more attractive, more us. Knowing your colours means not buying any more of those things that sit in the wardrobe because they're just not quite right, not feeling shit in a really expensive outfit, not panicking about what works for big meetings/school reunions/family weddings/the school run.

The colour analysis process involves using warm/cool and bright/muted drapes to see which palette of colours best suits you. Some companies' consultants will have you in and out in an hour, clutching a swatch book and with not the least idea why you are a insert season of choice here, and the swatch book lurks in the bedside drawer forever. Good consultants will make sure you see what is happening during the process, make sure you understand why you end up where you do, and explain at length how to use your swatch book - to sort your wardrobe, shop easily, sort any hair colouring issues if you want, and generally look a million times better forever. We also all do the scary putting you in bright lipsticks thing. But it's awesome (NB the weekly threads on here about the perfect red/nude/holiday lipstick - all those issues solved in one fell swoop).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now