Talk

Advanced search

Skirts if you've got big hips? Lost cause?

(17 Posts)
HandMini Sun 31-Mar-13 18:45:16

I'd love to wear more skirts, for example, would love a really decent flattering denim skirt to wear instead of boring old jeans, but I have big hips and everything seems to look frumpy and wide.

Any helpful tips, or should I stick to dresses as they do seem to give me a leaner look?

This is for casual wear by the way (at work I just wear trouser suits).

Tortington Sun 31-Mar-13 18:46:27

pencil skirts - look at vorderman, she rocks the curves

HandMini Sun 31-Mar-13 18:47:21

Is she curvy?? God, always thought she was a pencil herself. Isn't pencil skirt a bit office-y/smart? Looking for weekendy stuff.

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 31-Mar-13 18:51:22

im a pear shaped size 12 - 14. A line skirts are the most flattering on me, you can get some really nice casual ones too. I have never shopped at Boden but they often have really nice A line casual skirts - i always miss them in the sales though!

Tortington Sun 31-Mar-13 19:00:21

shes thin - yes absolutely but got hips and tits.

yes might be a bit formal i agree

SorrelForbes Sun 31-Mar-13 19:06:02

I'm very curvy (28" waist and 40" hips!) and I too struggle to find casual skirts. If they fit my hips then they're massive on my waist. A line seem to make my hips and arse look wider than they are. Pencil skirts are great for work but I usually have to have the waist taken in.

I agree that dresses are usually much more flattering. Nautical and J Crew have some nice summery ones in at the moment.

SorrelForbes Sun 31-Mar-13 19:06:33

Sorry, 'Nautica'

lottiegarbanzo Sun 31-Mar-13 19:25:57

Bias cut, I have some great longish summer ones that swirl in such a way as to go in a bit below the hips and give a long line. I find anything that sticks out from the hips a disaster.

TomDudgeon Sun 31-Mar-13 20:04:11

I have this problem but can't go for dresses instead as am tall and most are too short
Maxi skirts are the only thing I've found that suit me

HandMini Sun 31-Mar-13 20:11:50

Thanks everyone. I like the Nautica stuff, never seen that before.

I agree that A line is usually disastrous on me, not least because they tend to ride up from not having a decently fitted waist band (because hips fit and waist band is too big).

I've seen a couple of jersey maxi skirts in Primark. Might give them a go.

SorrelForbes Sun 31-Mar-13 20:45:34

Oh yes, the riding up thing. Very annoying. I'm too short for maxis.

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 31-Mar-13 23:45:15

ah well. was just a suggestion, A line are good on me. i guess it depends on your own personal body shape.

i like pencil skirts but dont think they look casual.

im not hugely disproportionate, just pear shaped, with slim legs so i find A line good, even shorter styles, if i wear boots and opaques.

SorrelForbes Mon 01-Apr-13 01:59:11

I always think A line look great on other people. Maybe I'm too self-critical obsessed about the size of my arse

HerRoyalNotness Mon 01-Apr-13 02:10:55

I always find skirts that sit on your hips rather than at your waist are better. I find skirts on my waist look very frumpy on me with the wider hips

Cybbo Mon 01-Apr-13 07:22:30

Yes wear them lower down, so the fabric doesn't flare out over your hips , or the skirt doesn't swivel around your smaller waist.

white Stuff do a classic straighter cut denim skirt, I bought one last year(?) , I wear mine lower down .

Or I wear much shorter a line skirts with leggings/thick tights

Chandon Mon 01-Apr-13 10:33:47

I have wide hips and wear lots of skirts.

Rule1: They have to hang off the hips, rather than sit on/ in the waist. I sometimes buy a size up.

Rule 2: they should be fitted on the hip, no surplus fabric due to, eg, elasticated waistbands, it should fit smoothly on hips,

Rule 3: they should be in a thick enough fabric so they hang well, not thin cotton or clingy jersey. A heavy hem is good.

Rule 4: a voluminous skirt looks good with a slim fitting top.

Chandon Mon 01-Apr-13 10:35:19

Cybbo, I have the same skirt, I wear it on the hip.

I rarely buy whitestuff, but that skirt works

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now