Talk

Advanced search

Any HoC experts? - Winters & Fake Tan Question

(9 Posts)
MaybeBentley Sun 31-Mar-13 13:01:12

Advice needed! Background info: I had my colours done with CMB many years ago and was diagnosed as a spring – never 100% convinced. I am a “chosen” golden blonde (from mousey brown) with very pale skin and freckles. Everyone always says how much better I look with a light tan and not many ale colours look good on me. Fast forwards 20 years to last autumn and I had my colours done with HoC. This time I had my hair covered and was told I am a winter - which I can completely buy in to. Love the purples, bright blues and reds. Gradually changing my wardrobe. Planning to change my hair to more appropriate colour when I can afford the hairdressers.

Now summer is coming I am thinking about fake tan. My legs are always so pale they are grey, so will look appalling without something, my arms have always been patchy, now also with age spots, so some fake tan has always smoothed them out and I just feel slimmer and happier to expose some summer flesh with some colour.

So …. My question are:
1) Is it OK for a winter to use fake tan without spoiling their analysis?
2) If so, which brands give more of a pinky tone rather than golden tan?
3) If I remain a golden blonde using golden fake tan would it change my analysis to another season – hence my clothes choices shouldn’t be my winter palette?
4) Any other advice for a Winter?

Thanks!

TravelinColour Sun 31-Mar-13 15:04:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaybeBentley Sun 31-Mar-13 15:40:31

Thank you so much TravelinColour.

That makes sense and maybe why I was thought to be a Spring by the previous consultant who didn't cover my hair. I'm really looking forward to having my hair colour changed to a more ash/beige blonde in the next month. I normally stick to a gradual tan as I make less of a mess of it and can make it look more natural, so I'll just use it on the legs before I get them out for summer and see how I go. grin

I am trying to get used to the red lipsticks and blusher I bought, which is still a steep learning curve at the moment. I really enjoyed the day and feel HoC was far more accurate than my previous experience.

thanks

mewkins Sun 31-Mar-13 19:58:14

Surely if you tan naturally then fake tan won't look too...fake? I'd have thought that only those who can't tan at all would look odd (worked with a pale skinned red headed girl once who used to have a spray tan and always looked a bit orange).

AmberNectarine Sun 31-Mar-13 20:02:24

Imagine it much depends on the type of Winter you are as well - I'm a yellowy exotic type so tan up super quick, whereas your pale, blue eyed type might struggle. Fake tan looks quite normal on me though I hate the smell.

MaybeBentley Sun 31-Mar-13 20:41:25

I don't normally tan much naturally, but my face does have more natural colour than my arms and legs, which is why I head for the bottle for a light tan. I hate my grey toned legs and blotchy arms, but I do have to keep the body tan very light to avoid it looking fake.

I think the consensus of advice is that fake tan is not best for my colouring, but if I must, it should be very light! Thanks everyone! I use the gradual tan very sparingly so I dare to get the short-sleeved tops and skirts out when(if wink ) the sun comes out.

TravelinColour Sun 31-Mar-13 20:47:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadAboutHotChoc Sun 31-Mar-13 20:49:17

When I think of Winters, I always think of Snow White and celebrities like Liv Tyler - I think wearing the right colours means a fake tan becomes less necessary.

I would address getting your hair coloured sooner than later - it will make a huge positive difference to how you look, far more than having a tan.

Gabaccia Sun 31-Mar-13 23:02:03

I'm one of those people who can never, ever get a tan naturally, and I'm a HoC Winter with dark hair and eyes. I once tried fake tan (due to a friend insisting I needed to because I'm so pale - she even bought me the fake tan hmm) Needless to say it looked ridiculous - I looked weird and dirty!! My legs are so white they glow in the sun, but I don't think it looks too bad if I'm wearing the right colours and my skin's in good condition. I may be deluding myself though...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now