Advanced search

High heels

(11 Posts)
BoffinMum Sat 30-Mar-13 21:16:18

So today I bought some high heels, the first I have had in ages, about 4 inches high or so. They feel very burny under the ball of the foot, even with gel pads in. Will wearing them at home a lot toughen up my feet so I don't notice it so much?

Bluelightsandsirens Sat 30-Mar-13 21:20:08

I started wearing heels again 2 years ago and I can now wear them all day long but I did start by wearing them at home on carpet and for short periods outside.

I had my trainers in the car for driving and pumps for the school run and just built my way up from there.

Some of my heels are more comfortable than others of course.

Can you link to your new purchase? Nosey

MurderOfGoths Sat 30-Mar-13 21:25:52

Rather than gel pads under the ball of the foot you are better off looking for supports that go under the arch of the foot. Gel pads under the ball of the foot are doing nothing to take the pressure off the ball, and therefore nothing to reduce pain. You want to distribute the weight more evenly, hence the arch supports.

Some heels have better arch support than others, which is why some are more comfortable. I know that I used to wear a pair of 6 inch shoes which were comfy for hours, but then change to a pair of 3 inch heels which hurt after about 30 mins.

You unfortunately wont get used to carrying your whole weight on the ball of your feet.

BoffinMum Sat 30-Mar-13 21:32:35

Here they are. Arch supports sound clever, what type should I look for?

BoffinMum Sat 30-Mar-13 21:33:04


Bluelightsandsirens Sat 30-Mar-13 21:52:25

They are really nice.

Arch support makes sense!

MurderOfGoths Sat 30-Mar-13 22:03:55

Ooh those are pretty!

Type depends on how high your arch is, something like this seems pretty good. But you can get gel ones as well if you want more cushioning.

BoffinMum Sun 31-Mar-13 09:10:12

I am not generally a fancy shoe person, but I did think they looked great.

Do you really think the orthotic style if insole will work then? It would be great if it did.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 31-Mar-13 09:13:12

You can buy a material called poron to cut to size for heels.

Draw around the toe part of the heel, all around the bit that sits on the ground, and then cut it out and put it in the shoe. If its too big cut a little bit more off until it fits.

You can get various thicknesses, I have 5mm in trainers but only 3mm or thinner if I can find it in heels.

It's better than some of the gel pads as its designed for use by podiatrists to put into the shoes of older people whose feet have lost fatty padding.

You can have collagen injected into the balls of the feet to cushion them, if I had the money I would do it.

A big sheet of poron should last years though. It's washable too. I put my trainer inserts into the machine.

BoffinMum Sun 31-Mar-13 09:14:37

Where did you get your poron from?

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 31-Mar-13 09:34:42

Internet podiatry suppliers, eBay has it sometimes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: