Talk

Advanced search

Just HOW do you find the right llppy shade?

(13 Posts)
BagWoman Sat 30-Mar-13 15:41:02

Spent another £16 today on a B Brown lippy- it's okay but rather pale and so nude it hardly shows up- it's Nectar in their creamy lip colour.
A few weeks back I bought a Clinique nude lippy and it's far too dark.

I suppose the answer is to try before you buy, but I am rarely in the mood in shops- too hot, too busy and the artificial light is useless.

I seem to have about a 25% success rate with lipstick- and if I hit on the right colour as I did with a Rimmel Kate Moss one which I adore, it makes my lips chapped due to the perfume.

BagWoman Sat 30-Mar-13 15:42:43

Oh and if anyone has any recs. for a beigy-nude- not too pink and slightly more peachy shade, let me know.

TravelinColour Sat 30-Mar-13 18:01:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BagWoman Sat 30-Mar-13 18:16:16

Who did them- a cosmetic brand or colour me beautful thingy?

The thing is, I know what suits me- but trying on your hand or in shop lighting rarely wroks for me.

TravelinColour Sat 30-Mar-13 18:36:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RevoltingPeasant Sat 30-Mar-13 18:45:21

OP with the lipstick that makes your lips chapped - I use Burt's Bees lip balm under lipstick. It makes it apply in a really sheer way and there's a barrier between your lips and the colour so it doesn't dry out. Might be a way to reclaim the Rimmel one??

JumpHerWho Sat 30-Mar-13 19:49:52

Get a makeup counter person to choose one for you! They often choose ones I wouldn't have thought of trying but nearly always suit me. I try in dept stores and wander about looking in lots of mirrors.

BagWoman Sat 30-Mar-13 21:04:31

Thanks!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 30-Mar-13 21:10:51

If you've already got the lipsticks then why not decant the colours into one of those empty palettes that you can buy and you can mix them.(I'm not sure what they're called but I'm sure you can Google and get them online)
Or mix with a brush (that's what make-up artists do)

My absoloute favourite nude was a BodyShop one- like a pinky nude but the last ones I bought were really dry, so I couldn't wear them alone.

PassNoRemark Sat 30-Mar-13 21:38:55

I can't use my BB nude one as it dries a patch on my upper lip...

I feel your pain, I've just binned 3 brand new nude/mink nail polishes as they are just wrong with my skin tone.

nars Sat 30-Mar-13 21:48:43

find a mac stockist then play around, i've found them to be the best for me, not too expensive, show up and last and the colours are always really good, i like mac velvet teddy for a nude

BagWoman Sat 30-Mar-13 22:20:14

That Mac one looks brill. Years ago - talking 25- I had a Revlon one called Shimmering Sand which was like that- then it was discontinued.

FrownsAndDimples Sun 31-Mar-13 22:15:47

My nudes (am olive skinned) are Mac velvet Teddy, Mac taupe, No 7 nude and Revlon mauve it over. I never stray from these. The usual choice of nudes don't do it for my skin tone.

Have a browse in Mac, out should find someone to help you, they're usually very good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now