Talk

Advanced search

Invisalign- what does it feel like?

(21 Posts)
BagWoman Sat 30-Mar-13 15:32:47

I am pretty close to deciding to go ahead with an invisible brace IF the orthodontist says it will work.

I am oooooooold! In my mid 50s but would so like straight teeth.

But- what does it feel like having a piece of plastic in your mouth 22 hrs a day?

I've had my teeth whitened with home tray system and if Invisalign feels like those I doubt I could hack it for 2 years- been told by one dentist that's how long I'd need.

chunkymonkeybaby Sat 30-Mar-13 15:47:28

I had invisalign to straighten my upper teeth and normal braces on the lower. I have to say with hindsight I wish I'd had traditional braces on the upper teeth too as I think it works better. The invisalign isn't too uncomfortable once you get used to it but it's worse than whitening trays. Also, it isn't invisible, and tbh it probably looks weird. At least with a normal brace it's obvious what it is when people notice.

Crutchlow35 Sat 30-Mar-13 15:55:02

Have a read of the forum metal mouth. Very helpful. I have just chosen the inman aligner and should have straight teeth in 10 weeks time.

BagWoman Sat 30-Mar-13 15:55:18

Thanks I just feel at 58 I am too old for full metal braces.

If it feels odd I don't know if I could bear it.

BagWoman Sat 30-Mar-13 15:56:49

The Inman is only suitable for minor cases though- no? I have quite severe overcrowding and assume my teeth might need filing ( will avoid extractions if poss.) and also the dentist I am thinking of going to doesn't offer Inman- though I am not committed to him of course.

Crutchlow35 Sat 30-Mar-13 16:01:09

I will see if I can put a photo of mine on for you to see.

BagWoman Sat 30-Mar-13 16:22:18

thank you!

chunkymonkeybaby Sat 30-Mar-13 16:35:01

I understand totally OP, I didn't want full braces at 22 as I felt too old for them then! The overcrowding on my lower teeth was too severe for invisalign so I had normal braces but as my upper teeth weren't so bad I had the invisalign. I'm 25 now and kind of wish I'd just had normal braces as think it would have been quicker too and would have worked better. I'm still using removable retainers and I'm thinking of trying to get fixed ones on the back of my upper teeth as I think my teeth move a little still. Admittedly I haven't been great always with wearing the retainers but my lower teeth don't move as much and the overcrowding was far more severe so it makes me doubt how good invisalign is.

I know normal braces seem horrible but I think they're worth it for the better long term result....

barleysugar Sat 30-Mar-13 16:41:24

Crutchlow35 may I ask the cost difference between Invisalign and an Inman aligner? I've found a local dentist that fits them, but I don't want to register with them only to find out its too dear for me.

BagWoman Sat 30-Mar-13 16:53:36

yes please- costs required here too!

My own dentist who doesn't do cosmetic work herself ( but there are others in the practice who do) is not that keen on Invisalign- she says they move the teeth too fast and them the teeth move back. Not sure if that is so.

It's a big investment for me and I don't want to say yes then find that I can't bear them on my teeth.

If I put a pic on my profle and you all have a laugh can i then remove the pic easily????

Crutchlow35 Sat 30-Mar-13 17:39:57

Inman aligner should correct your teeth within 12 weeks. My treatment, including a fixed retainer which you really should have is costing £1100. There is a girl on you tube who has done an excellent video diary. The difference is remarkable. I only got mine 24 hours ago. 2 of my teeth are already quite sore. You need to wear the inman for a min of 16 hours or a max of 20 hours a day.

It is fdifficult to speak with it in. You have a heavy lisp but it does improve as you get used to it. It is also quite bulky.

Invisalign from what I know takes longer but no issues with bulk and talking

For me inman was the better, quicker option. I will have to see how I get on with it at work but if I wear it overnight then I can have my rest time during working hours. Away to take a photo now.

Crutchlow35 Sat 30-Mar-13 17:52:39

My day 1 pic is now on my profile. What the aligner will do is move my front teeth forward straighten the squint one. The 2 horrid ones either side will slide back and round to give me an even smile in around 10 weeks.

BagWoman Sat 30-Mar-13 17:55:39

thats a reasonable cost- Invisalign is 2 - 3 x that.

So do you take it out at night? I think I would given that option.

Crutchlow35 Sat 30-Mar-13 18:03:31

You can if you wish but for me sleeping with it in makes for an easy 8 hours or so of use out of my 16-20 hours.

Crutchlow35 Sat 30-Mar-13 18:03:47

And you also take it out to eat.

BernadetteRostenkowskiWolowitz Sat 30-Mar-13 18:05:23

I'm in my 40s and still think about getting braces all the time. Now my dd needs them. I wish we could get a deal the two of us, but I doubt it will work like that.

Crutchlow35 Sat 30-Mar-13 18:13:43

Ask. No harm in asking at all.

I am 42 BTW.

BagWoman Sat 30-Mar-13 18:29:46

Your profile doesn't seem to be public- I can't see anything clicking on your name here.

Crutchlow35 Sat 30-Mar-13 18:33:56

Try now.

BagWoman Sat 30-Mar-13 19:13:29

Okay! i think we look about the same amount of work. Done mine too though not such a good close up. My teeth are crossed on the left- 3 tetth overlap- and the 3 on the otehrside are set back as a result of this. The left hand front tooth was broken playing sport so is mended- not a full veneer but it's now worn a bit and is shorter than it should be. Have put off having it fixed in case I go for braces.

Did you shop around? The local dentists who I'd prefer to go with don't do Inman. Hmm.

Crutchlow35 Sat 30-Mar-13 19:18:36

If you go to the inman aligner website they will tell you who is authorised in your area. Will have a look at your photo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now