Talk

Advanced search

Project Mother of the Bride - help!

(9 Posts)
TheFantasticFixit Thu 28-Mar-13 08:08:11

I'm off shopping with my Mum next week for her Mother of the Bride (me!) outfit and well, she's feeling a bit nervous. She isn't the worlds greatest shopper and as a result generally keeps to places like Devenhams and M&S which has left her in a total style rut. I know she is feeling like this is a chance to 'wow' so I thought I would turn to you lovely lot for some initial advice.

She's a size 18-20, 63, defined waist but essentially a pear shape. She's already bought some spanx to smooth out lines, ideally she would like a dress and a lightweight long line coat/jacket over it? Her worry areas are hips and neck and preferably she doesn't want to show too much upper arm. Wedding is beginning of May and informal.

Please help me help her - ideas for outfits are very welcome - and also shops that stock her size on the high street (London) would be great fully received. smile

Tilpil Thu 28-Mar-13 08:23:52

Evans or get ideas and look on marisota my mum got a really nice dress and everyone complimented her and she's bigger than your mum hope that helps

LoganMummy Thu 28-Mar-13 08:33:10

Did she have a look in shops where you got your dress?

How about Phase Eight or local shops in your area?

Would your Mum consider renting her outfit? You can get a lot more for your money and may provide a chance to go for something a bit different.

TheFantasticFixit Thu 28-Mar-13 09:12:12

Hmm renting probably a no no because I think it's an occasion where she really wants to go all out - I think rental might not be quite her thing.nmy dress is vintage so there wasn't the option to try on other stuff for her as well.

Is Marisota on the high street? Phase Eight is a great tip, will look there but she definitely doesn't want to order online - she really wants to try stuff on in one day and have day of shopping.

catinboots Thu 28-Mar-13 09:15:09

Hobbs

DewDr0p Thu 28-Mar-13 10:43:18

John Lewis. My Mum used their personal shopper service for my brother's wedding and I can't rate it highly enough - they made her look amazing, so young and fresh and glam. But still very her iykwim? They did the whole outfit accessories and all.

chinup2011 Thu 28-Mar-13 10:49:59

How about getting something made for her

SirToffeeDoris Thu 28-Mar-13 11:27:04

This one is lined so doesn't cling, but might be too dark (and maybe too warm) for May? (if it stops bloody snowing by then) Coast £75

Phase eight outfit suggestions

Mother of the bride targeted shops:

Country Casuals

Jacques Vert

Alexon outfits

House of Fraser getting in on the act with some ideas

John Lewis's links

Hope she finds exactly what she is looking for and you have a lovely day

TheFantasticFixit Fri 29-Mar-13 11:05:59

Think it's a little late to get something made unfortunately - but SirToffee thank you so much for all those suggestions, they are really fab!! thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now