Talk

Advanced search

Tankini Vs swim suit

(20 Posts)
whohellhe Thu 28-Mar-13 05:55:51

Are there any practical advantages of a tankini?
I've got that lovely post section overhang and wondered if a tankini with big enough bottoms would be ok or would the top ride up?
This is only for taking the kids swimming, not for looking hot on a beach somewhere (as if).smile

LadybirdsAreFab Thu 28-Mar-13 05:58:53

The biggest practical advantage is if you need to go to the toilet, you don't have to pull the whole costume down.

I love my tankini's. I buy them as separates so I can mix and match them.

whohellhe Thu 28-Mar-13 06:18:56

Good point! Thanks for that.

Facebaffle Thu 28-Mar-13 07:31:33

I always find that the top rides up and you get a roll of flesh hanging out.
I always pull my cozzie across (iyswim) when going to the loo rather than pulling the whole thing down blush

dizzy77 Thu 28-Mar-13 07:40:58

I dodge tankinis as I believe they were so named because they make me look like a tank. I've always had a bit of stretchmarky overspill (was an overweight teenager, so my post-baby belly is much as it was before) and prefer it to be held in by a one piece, when I've tried on tankinis I've been frustrated by them riding up. I do occasionally bikini but that's with a normal halter bra top & low rise pants which skim under the ridge.

shoppingbagsundereyes Thu 28-Mar-13 13:12:46

I find tnkini tops ride up leaving me with a nicely exposed ridge of lard. I have a nice Boden swimsuit that is fairly low cut at the cleavage and high ish at the hips so feels quite glam while covering up my worst bits.

DewDr0p Thu 28-Mar-13 13:40:17

I find one piece swimsuits much more flattering around the tummy than tankinis tbh

rubytutu Thu 28-Mar-13 19:21:53

I am in the minority here but much prefer tankini to full on cossie. am hopelessly pear shaped and they just seem to suit my shape. I tend to buy one new one each year always with underwired tops and shorts bottoms.

whohellhe Thu 28-Mar-13 22:12:06

Facebaffle, I too pull the crotch to one side, often with disastrous consequences!
Thanks for your opinions all, perhaps I'll not take the gamble and go for a cosi with some sort of control panel.. . Oh the glamour.

Mumelie Thu 28-Mar-13 22:40:44

I have to go for a tankini as I have a long body AND need bra support! would much prefer a one piece but just too tall! :-(

Startail Thu 28-Mar-13 22:57:52

For a pool non at all. On holiday it's nice to be able to throw on a kaftan or tee shirt to stop getting burnt and still be able to go to the loo. Also means you can swap bottoms in the cafe toilet and sit and eat lunch in comfort.

TomDudgeon Thu 28-Mar-13 23:11:10

Same as
Mumelie, need the length .
Would love a nice suit though

BackforGood Thu 28-Mar-13 23:25:01

For a pool non at all
*Startail - are you skinny dipping down at your local council pool ? shock

Agree with the rest though, about a tankini being FAR more comfy to wear fro several hours on holiday.

Startail Fri 29-Mar-13 00:32:54

grin no, I'm small of boob and quite happy in a ordinary sports shop costume. Far to flabby around the tummy and too bigger arse to have ever looked sensible in a bikini.

Also I burn really easily hence preferring a one piece or tanki regardless of my figure.

whohellhe Fri 29-Mar-13 01:47:07

Mumelie and Tom, have you tried Long Tall Sally? I'm 5'8" which isn't really tall but I find swimsuits from the high street a bit on the short side.

Mumelie Fri 29-Mar-13 22:02:59

I'm only 5'6" but short legged long body! Hadn't thought about long tall Sally. Do they do bra fitted swimming costumes?

whohellhe Sat 30-Mar-13 05:02:48

Not sure about bra fitted cosi's. The choice isn't great on the web but I'm tempted to order a swimsuit and a tankini from there and see how the fit is.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sat 30-Mar-13 07:09:04

I wear a tanking because I find swimsuits too short too, and I'm not tall either, same height as Mumelie

I have a boden one which is a generous fit and doesn't ride up around the waist. I wouldn't say I love it but I hate all swimwear, so nothing suits really......

BuntyCollocks Sat 30-Mar-13 11:36:55

Swimsuit. I have a section overhang from DS. I'm hotter climes I give not one shiny brass fuck and bikini it, but for the local pool I have a retro swimsuit from for Luna, and it is wondrous, even 13 weeks post dd. I'm 5'8, hourglass, and it's actually long enough and hold my massive boobs in place, too. Agree that tankinis ride up and expose tum.

whohellhe Sat 30-Mar-13 23:55:20

Love your choice of swear bunty, I may have to nick that one grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now