Talk

Advanced search

Is this awful weather keeping people from buying for SS?

(50 Posts)
joliejolie Wed 27-Mar-13 11:17:48

Saw on BBC that the retail consortium has reported that retailers are struggling because the cold weather has put people off buying warm weather clothes.

Am I the only person who's been drawn to bright yellow summer tops and sandals? I'm living in hope that the sun is coming soon and this is definitely reflected in my spending habits of late.

DewDr0p Wed 27-Mar-13 11:21:06

Yes it's put me off a bit - I like wearing new things NOW <stamps foot> and was put off buying some sandals last week by the thought that it will be aeons until it's warm enough to wear them! I bought some boots instead though so did my bit for the economy. wink

Kikithecat Wed 27-Mar-13 11:21:12

I think they're right. I haven't even worn summer stuff I bought LAST year yet so I'm in no hurry to buy for this one!

foxysocks Wed 27-Mar-13 11:23:42

yes it's putting me off for sure. have bought two tshirts so far, nothing else. I was going to get summer sandals, white jeans, ballerina pumps, but there seems little point when they won't get worn right away and the sales start sooner every year. might as well save the money to spend when everything is getting reduced.

skaen Wed 27-Mar-13 11:31:42

Yes. I bought summer stuff last year and had about a week to wear it so have that still to wear. I want to buy thermals and jumpers not strappy tops which might get worn for 2 minutes in August!

Corygal Wed 27-Mar-13 11:33:38

Me too. I like the colours, but I'd be looking for the thermal version.

Pseudonymity Wed 27-Mar-13 11:34:12

I haven't even unpacked my summer clothes yet. I am going to go out and buy some thick socks though. Sales aren't that far off now, if April is bad then it won't be worth buying much before the sales.

MarshaBrady Wed 27-Mar-13 11:36:14

The sales do tend to coincide with the actual seasons now. I have bought loads of bargains recently, various sales. Will probably buy a couple of things when weather finally gets warmer.

colditz Wed 27-Mar-13 11:36:28

I don't buy things until I need them, all the warm things have gone from the shops, and it is not bikini weather, therefore im not shopping. The s
Retailers have two options, they either provide what I want to buy or they do without my money.

JumpHerWho Wed 27-Mar-13 12:02:42

I bought another jumper and some boots... I keep taking my summer clothes out to look at then putting them away again. Agree that anything I do buy this year will probably be in the sales, I'm getting savvier about sale shopping even if it means buying stuff totally out of season.

CambridgeBlue Wed 27-Mar-13 13:35:41

I haven't bought much at all lately and I'm not really planning to get any summer stuff - I've still got things I bought last year that have never been worn because it wasn't warm enough. Think I'd rather put the money towards new boots for next year or something. <gloomy>.

I'm thinking of giving up on having 'summer' and 'winter' clothes - just going to stick to my usual stuff and put flipflops on if it gets warmer. Hopefully this attitude will mean that we get a massive heatwave - I'm quite prepared to be shown up as wrong it that's the case smile

JemimaMuddledUp Wed 27-Mar-13 13:40:29

This week I have bought a coat, a jumper and some boots! I was hoping to wait until the autumn to buy new warm clothes (I have lost a lot of weight and gone down 4 dress sizes) but I was just too cold.

If this summer is anything like last summer there will be no point buying summer clothes. So I am going to wait and see.

Pascha Wed 27-Mar-13 13:44:17

My summer clothes are generally my winter clothes minus the jumper and with lighter shoes. The most I will buy is a few new tshirts.

WillieWEggledEgger Wed 27-Mar-13 13:47:10

i want to buy summer stuff but can't find anything i like. if the weather were warmer i would probably be more inclined to hunt harder though iyswim.

i'm definitely not feeling like trekking into town in winter coat, jumper, thermals, boots etc to try on summer clothes, and looking online at summer dresses and sandals is depressing when it's grey and cold outside

DontmindifIdo Wed 27-Mar-13 13:51:15

yep, this time last year we had a little heatwave on our hands, we all bought summery things thinking "cost per wear, I'll wear this though to September" then it rained all summer and I have a load of peachy coloured things I only worn once or twice.

Currently pg so not shopping for clothes for now, although I had thought come this time of year I'd need to buy maternity summer wear as due in June (had last baby in winter so have only wintery maternity wear) - I've got 3 weeks left in work and I think I'll do fine with wintery maternity clothes and just being scruffy for the last few weeks if the weather improves.

Even if we get to June/July time and it gets hot, then people are often thinking "well, it'll only be a few weeks until it's Autumn again, I won't get my wear out of this" and make do with the summery clothes they had last year, saving cash for autumnal things. Best they can hope for is lots of people after a rainy summer last year and a freezing spring decide to book overseas holidays not UK ones and need a holiday wardrobe.

impty Wed 27-Mar-13 13:52:33

In the last month I've bought a selection of tops and a things I can wear in layers but that's it now. I never buy too much for summer as irs not worn for long enough.

Fairyliz Wed 27-Mar-13 13:58:59

I've not bought anything as I'm too cold to take my clothes off to try on summery things.

MrsMeow Wed 27-Mar-13 14:03:13

It's definitely put me off, the only summery thing I've bought so far is a long black jersey skirt, so not even that summery!

it's the last thing I feel like doing when it's cold outside, stripping off all my layers to try something flimsy on, like Fairyliz said.

ihearttc Wed 27-Mar-13 14:04:35

I very rarely venture on S&B cause Im not in the least stylish but I have had to buy some summer clothes as we are going on holiday in a few weeks and I have nothing to wear! My "summer" clothes usually consist of skinny jeans,ballet pumps and a short sleeved top all which isn't going to be much use on holiday!

I found the whole shopping for summer when its absolutely freezing outside very strange especially when Im more of a jeans and jumper girl!

newpup Wed 27-Mar-13 14:09:47

Last thing I feel like doing! So cold and dark and cloudy here. I went shopping yesterday, have not been for a while. I bought a shirt, that can be layered up for the cold or worn on its own if we get any warm weather. Last summer I had just lost 5 and a half stone in weight and I went mad in the warm weather we had in March and bought lots of summer clothes. Well apart from my holiday abroad I was too cold to wear them! Hope I get to wear them this year.

QueenCadbury Wed 27-Mar-13 14:10:18

I optimistically purchasd ballet flats and short sleeved tops today as I saw some blue sky and the temperature was above 0. It's now snowing grin

gindrinker Wed 27-Mar-13 14:19:32

I bought a maxi dress the other day!
But I'm going somewhere warm for 10 days and I will wear it.

My summer clothes don't vary from my winter clothes... Jeans converse tee shirt (with a jumper if necessary.)

EuroShaggleton Wed 27-Mar-13 14:53:34

Yes, I don't usually buy things until I am ready for them.

sweetheart Wed 27-Mar-13 15:02:43

I have decided to pretty much stop buying SS clothes. i am a cold person and so it needs to get above at least 25oC before I reach for the shorts / flip flops / vest tops! I think we probably had a grand total of 10 days last year above 25oC didn't we?!?!? I'll stick to buying winter clothes all year round I think - cardigans are my best friend sad

faustina Wed 27-Mar-13 15:02:52

I also have things from last summer which I never wore. My only spring purchase so far has been a pair of brogues but it's been too cold to wear them. There's literally no point in buying anything right now. Very depressing - and it seems this weather is with us for a good few weeks yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now