Talk

Advanced search

Adding volume to hair

(13 Posts)
milkyman Wed 27-Mar-13 09:33:13

I have fine, shoulder length hair thats highlighted. It was lovely and bouncy during pregnancy but 5mths after birth its falling out and lank. Can anyone recommend products to add volume to fine hair. I don't have time or skills to do proper hairdrying.

SherbetVodka Wed 27-Mar-13 10:49:05

Do you ever backcomb your hair? I've got horrible lank, weedy straight hair and backcombing it is one of the only things that really works to add volume. I use one of these as recommended by Sali Hughes in the guardian. It really is brilliant, makes it look like I've got twice as much hair!

I've also got a babyliss root boost micro crimper which you're meant to use just under the top layer of your hair to add volume at the crown. It's never worked that well for me tbh, as its hard to hide the crimpy bits (or maybe I'm doing it wrong). Might work well for you though, it has very good reviews smile

QuickLookBusy Wed 27-Mar-13 11:01:24

I've got the same kind of hair. I've been using Philip Kingsley Maximizer www.philipkingsley.co.uk/philip-kingsley-maximizer.htmlhere

QuickLookBusy Wed 27-Mar-13 11:04:23

Sorry didn't mean to press post!

Here's the link again. www.philipkingsley.co.uk/philip-kingsley-maximizer.html

It really does add volume to your roots. I also back comb a little, I think I'll order one of those brushes sherbot

The combination has really made a difference and I've started to like my hair again!

Mumelie Wed 27-Mar-13 15:22:58

I have fine hair but a lot of it! Can look weighed down at times so I use Umberto Giannini root boosting spray - its great.

Cheesymonster Wed 27-Mar-13 15:32:09

I also have post-pregnancy thinner hair. I have just bought this and have got good results.

CareerGirl01 Thu 28-Mar-13 07:48:19

Last post pregnancy I found the Klorane quinine shampoo and conditioner great. Then used Aveda pure abundance powder to style.

Drywhiteplease Thu 28-Mar-13 09:15:28

I'm the opposite <sorry> but just love a bit of volume.
The Babyliss big hair gets a lot of mentions on here.
A product I love is l'Oreal studio fix........spray it on wet or dry hair and blow dry with big round brush......massive volume.

wildfig Thu 28-Mar-13 09:49:15

My hair's very fine and curly, but since I've started using the Liz Earle shampoo/conditioner, it's suddenly got loooads of volume, and it doesn't seem to need washing as much either. I think it's something to do with not having silicones? The LE hair range isn't cheap, but I use a lot less than I used to with Elvive, and it's not as expensive as Kerastase which didn't really do enough for me to justify it costing 3x as much as anything else.

Gabaccia Thu 28-Mar-13 10:21:29

Using far far less conditioner than you normally do helps. My uncle is a hairdresser and told me this recently - I didn't believe him, I've always slapped on conditioner after shampooing. But if you can get over not having that slippy conditioned feel when you've washed your hair, go without conditioner and just spray in a little bit of leave-in conditioner spray to detangle the ends. My hair looks way thicker without a layer of conditioner weighing it down (even the 'light' or 'volumising' conditioners weigh it down).

This is assuming your hair is healthy and not damaged.

DewDr0p Thu 28-Mar-13 10:31:32

I like the Aussie volume shampoo & conditioner.

MildredH Thu 28-Mar-13 11:49:44

Primark does a good version of that back combing brush for a round pound

Tuppence2 Fri 29-Mar-13 12:12:41

I use this spray on my hair for a night out, and it lasts as long as I don't faff with my hair. Plus it smells nice too!

I used to use this which also worked, but if you use too much your hair goes all sticky

I have tried the aussie volume shampoo and conditioner, but my hair is too heavy for it to make a difference, so I tend to rely on styling products, like the ones I've suggested above.

I will often also use this mousse before the sprays above if I want it to hold for a long period of time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now