Talk

Advanced search

Fading old me!

(20 Posts)
HappyGirlNow Tue 26-Mar-13 21:28:29

Just turned 40 and feel so fed up with myself. Need to lose a stone and a half, have longish brown hair that just seems limp and styleless, face looks like its sagging - think I look shit tbh sad

What can I do to perk myself up while I try to lose the weight? Just feel that my looks are fading and feeling low.

verytellytubby Tue 26-Mar-13 21:59:13

I'm doing Weightwatchers. Lost 4lb last week.

What about a haircut and new makeup?

HappyGirlNow Tue 26-Mar-13 22:02:32

Thanks very - I've just had a haircut but it's the same old same old. Maybe some liposuction would help grin

HappyGirlNow Tue 26-Mar-13 22:03:05

Oh and I have lost 5lbs , just got a bit to go.

DancingDolly Tue 26-Mar-13 22:05:32

Hey I was feeling the same this morning!

Come and have a look at my thread re beauty products/make up recommendations - some interesting suggestions so far!

Snowcatliveshere Tue 26-Mar-13 22:08:32

I know how you feel. Some lovely new trendy clothes from shops I wouldn't have used before ( thanks to lovely recommendations on here) have made me feel loads better. I realised that I've spent years thinking that I'll loose 10 lbs and then buy some clothes but at 43 I have now accepted that this is how I am and actually clothes that fit properly (even if a little larger than I really want) can do wonders. Also I have the babyliss big hair - check out the reviews - and my hair is lovely and bouncy if I say so myself!

HappyGirlNow Tue 26-Mar-13 22:11:39

Thanks dolly I will do!

snowcat thank you too, good suggestions, I've been thinking about the big hair..

HappyGirlNow Tue 26-Mar-13 22:17:22

snowcat what size do you have? There are 2 sizes on amazon 42mm and 50mm.

Snowcatliveshere Tue 26-Mar-13 22:25:41

The bigger one - my hair is shoulder length and it's perfect. Couple of goes to get the hang of it (watch the utube demo) and I haven't used used my straighteners since.

HappyGirlNow Tue 26-Mar-13 22:28:59

Thanks snowcat, I've ordered grin

dolly what is the name of your thread?

CambridgeBlue Wed 27-Mar-13 13:38:35

I'm the same age and I know how you feel - I've lost loads of weight lately (nearly 4 stone) but I'm still all saggy underneath my clothes and my face just looks haggard sad

On the plus size I finally feel like I've found 'my' style after 40 years and that really makes shopping and getting dressed easier. I'm spending a lot of time on Pinterest - maybe worth a look? (it's addictive though!)

HappyGirlNow Wed 27-Mar-13 13:52:26

Aw thanks Cambridge, I'll have a look on there again. I've been on once or twice ages ago. How do you use it?

I suppose I just feel my looks are fading and I don't like it one little bit.. Hey ho..

Well done on losing all that weight btw - that's some achievement! grin

sedgieloo Wed 27-Mar-13 14:26:33

Hi happygirl I may actually be your twin but with bushy hair. I also have a two yr old and a 5 month old who has me up all night. And that doesn't help. Plus the normal post baby blubber.

Anyway as soon as I start weaning I'm doing the 5:2 diet. Also I just got my eyebrows threaded, my roots done. And bought a couple of the ruched dresses in baukjen (which hopefully shrink back down with me) in bright colours. I've put myself on a buying ban for anything black or brown or navy and looking for colours that flatter me. Plus I have been looking at the Lisa Eldridge tutorials on anti ageing makeup. And I bought that healthy mix foundation she recommended. And it's all helped a bit smile

Eliza22 Wed 27-Mar-13 15:29:08

I blame the weather. Seriously, we seem to live in a country where winter gets longer and longer and the summer is a few weeks long, if we're lucky. I think it's understandable to feel like crap.

I'm 50 and am growing out a too, too short hair do. I had shortish hair, (on profile) but due to financial constraints, asked hairdresser to 'go a bit shorter' to get more time between trims out of it. She did. [Shock] Lesson learned. I too, feel washed out and need to lose over a stone, and that's a conservative estimate!

Thing is OP, you've made a start smile. Small steps are necessary rather than, "God, it's all so awful.....where to start?" I'm cutting down on rubbish snacks and alcohol and trying to eat more healthily. I did the rounds of the cosmetic counters to try out some new, more flattering foundations and came back with quite a haul. Some I binned (awful) but I've got 2 generous "testers" of Clarins stuff, that'll see me through to spring before I plan to splash the cash, next month. I did buy a Clinique blush called Iced Lotus. It'll last forever, is highly pink and completely wakes up my face. I've a 3 of this shade. Others come and go but this one always works, in moderation, and a "I look shite" day. Am wearing it, on profile pics but am also holidaying and tanned so, might look a bit "Aunt Sally" for some people!

My running/walking had to stop for 6 weeks due to falling over (embarrassing) and badly spraining my ankle. It was a right mess....such a funny shape, i thought id broken it. Now, I have it well strapped up and plan to do some walking. Went yesterday and today and feel ok. Cannot run yet, but I'm moving again! Small steps, OP, small steps!

I am determined to make myself feel better than this.....or die trying!

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Eliza22 Wed 27-Mar-13 15:33:05

I have had 3 of the Iced Lotus blushers. And it always works on an I look shite day. Curse you iPad!

CambridgeBlue Wed 27-Mar-13 15:50:11

I totally agree with Eliza - this weather doesn't help anyone! My skin looks so grey and I just want to eat comfort food to keep out the cold.

OP I follow a few people on Pinterest and seeing their pins usually inspires me to look for something similar. Or I just type in 'jersey blazer' or 'grey boots' and see what pops up. I find it really useful as it means I only tend to buy what I know I will wear or things that will go with what I've already got or help me get the 'look' I'm after. Being more confident about what I'm wearing does help on the aforementioned 'I look shite' days smile

KateSpade Wed 27-Mar-13 16:40:55

I feel like that & I'm 24,

I am however on the way to the hairdressers.

Swoosh!

HappyGirlNow Thu 28-Mar-13 21:59:16

Aw thank you all - some great ideas there grin

Pandsbear Fri 29-Mar-13 12:07:48

I feel like this too - and a LOT is to do with the dull dull dull weather. A bit of sun today and I feel brighter but sadly didn't look that bright when I looked in the mirror grin

QueenCadbury Fri 29-Mar-13 13:16:54

happygirl Pinterest is great. Just be prepared to lose hours of your life to it grin

There's some great advice on here. One of the things I find helped was changing my skin care as my usual brand just wasn't making my skin look bright anymore. I also can't be seen in public nowadays without blusher and lipstick (I'm hurtling towards 40 later this year) as I look grey and pale. Other things I find help are eyebrow shape as it just makes my face look more groomed.

Other than that lots of water, fresh air and exercise. Oh and sleep <wishful thinking>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now