Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone else mourn Aubin & Wills?

(12 Posts)
KandyBarr Tue 26-Mar-13 17:36:13

Despite the toe-curling catalogues featuring Alex James and her out of Moloko, it was a solid, reliable go-to and I loved it.

Now it's gone, where do I find similar prim, slightly slouchy, hard-wearing stuff? Any suggestions?

TheCraicDealer Tue 26-Mar-13 18:16:14

Me! And my (well dressed) DP, he loved it. We bought shed loads of stuff in their closing down sale.

I'm still young enough at 24 to get away with their sister brand, Jack Wills. Just about... And plenty of their stuff is plain and slouchy.

Reiss is a good alternative. I got this in their sale, and there's a lot of stuff of the same sort of ilk as Aubin & Wills.

Chottie Tue 26-Mar-13 19:00:51

I liked A+W too. I bought a lovely silk blouse in the closing down sale.

KandyBarr Tue 26-Mar-13 19:50:02

That navy Reiss jacket is just the sort of thing, pefect - thanks craic. But Jack Wills I fear may look absurd on me (I'm 45).

I miss A&W silk printed blouses, knitwear, coats, all of it <wail>

JumpHerWho Tue 26-Mar-13 19:50:23

I bought something in their closing sale, a pink silk tee (£75 down to £27 smile ) and now appear to be on the mailing list for Jack Wills - they have some similarly grown-up stuff, I think since discontinuing the A and W brand they are increasing the variety in the JW range.

Still not in the market for fairisle leggings or logo tees though...

shopafrolic Tue 26-Mar-13 21:28:17

I miss it desperately. Most of my autumn winter wardrobe was from them. I'd just found them, and then they shut down! V gutted. I thought about looking at the Jack Wills chinos to see how they compare but I fear that at 40yo I'm too old!!

libertychick Tue 26-Mar-13 21:45:13

I popped into Jack Wills on Marylebone High Street a couple of weeks ago and thought they had made the range a bit more grown up - possibly to get the A&W fans. Fewer items with the logo and some very nice shirts and sweaters - noticed the fabrics not a good as A&W though - lots of viscose rather than silk.

Spookey80 Tue 26-Mar-13 21:47:25

Me too and dh. Don't know where to go now.

goingmadinthecountry Tue 26-Mar-13 22:56:06

Missed that entirely. But I'm on the JW list - due only to my dcs. JW do have beautiful quality handbags. Just feel the leather inext time you're in the shop. All I'd go near at the advanced age of 49! Hardly want to dress like half the teenagers round here.

TheCraicDealer Wed 27-Mar-13 09:13:58

DP found out about them closing when he was placing an order over the phone- the girl dealing with him said that they were intending on making the JW range less "tweeny" to appeal to a wider market. To be fair, there has been a larger selection of nice tops and things this season.

I love the shirts and things, they're fairly plain. Not so much the hoodies and overly branded stuff that make you look like you've escaped from a young offenders institute. As with a lot of places, the menswear is much more low-key and easier for older fellas to wear- such as Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.

KandyBarr Wed 27-Mar-13 10:06:56

Ok, you all sound convincing. I will venture into Jack Wills.

Sarahh356 Wed 27-Mar-13 11:47:31

I love it! I find it simple, elegant and good quality! They have a very nice shop in Covent Garden /emo/te/1.gif

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now