Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I have £150 to spend on myself - what should I buy?

(40 Posts)
AlwaysOneMissing Tue 26-Mar-13 17:11:13

My DH and I are treating ourselves with some money we have unexpectedly had come available.

We have £150 each, but I don't have to spend it all if I like something cheaper.

I would like something lovely that I can use and keep for a long time. I have thought of a bag, jewellery, scarf, sunglasses, but just can't find anything that I think I could use for a while and be something 'special'.

I do like good quality designers/brands. My taste is feminine but with a bit of an edge, and I do like to keep up with current trends. I am very early 30s.
Help!

ivanapoo Tue 26-Mar-13 17:53:43

I have the Vivienne Westwood bas relief brooch. Can wear on a coat, cardi, scarf, dress, fix to a plain clutch - you could probably put it in your hair if you wanted.

Link:

http://www.garmentquarter.com/vivienne-westwood-bas-relief-brooch.html

KandyBarr Tue 26-Mar-13 17:54:03

Beck Sonder Gaard silk/wool scarves sufficiently edgy? Would leave you with cash to spare: http://www.josephm.com/beck-sonder-gaard-86_ladies-store-8.html

ivanapoo Tue 26-Mar-13 17:54:04

Gah sorry pressed post not preview!

www.garmentquarter.com/vivienne-westwood-bas-relief-brooch.html

AlwaysOneMissing Tue 26-Mar-13 18:10:34

There are some nice scarves on that site Kandy but none of them were jumping out at me. I don't think they're quite what I'm looking for.

Ivana I had actually been considering something VW, and up to now, one of the bracelets with imitation pearls and a small orb was in the front running, but I haven't seen them in the flesh yet to know if I do like them. I'm not sure that I would end up using the brooch much - I have other brooches that I love, but for some reason I just don't think to use them. I wouldn't want something that might end up sitting unused in my jewellery box. (Although I am impressed with the variety of ways you have used yours!).

Thank you for suggestions, please keep them coming!!

madammecholet Tue 26-Mar-13 18:30:48

Versace silk scarf?

here

Monica Vinader ring

www.monicavinader.com/shop/rings

leather handbag

here

madammecholet Tue 26-Mar-13 18:34:29

Isabel Marant necklace

here

Alexander McQueen cuff

here

madammecholet Tue 26-Mar-13 18:37:18

Tom Ford Whitney sunglasses (I have 2 pairs, they're fab)

here

LittlePandaBear Tue 26-Mar-13 18:46:12

Shoes! How about a nice pair of court shoes that you could wear with lots of stuff in all seasons? You can never have too many pairs grin

You may be able to get some designer sale ones for £150.

buttercrumble Tue 26-Mar-13 18:54:37

How about an alex monroe bumble bee necklace.

slug Tue 26-Mar-13 19:28:38

Courtesy of another Mumsnetter whose name I can't remember, check out the bargains in the Rogues Gallery here

MackerelOfFact Tue 26-Mar-13 20:15:40

buttercrumble I now NEED that bumblebee necklace in rose gold. I adore bees and that is just lovely. Just the matter of finding a spare £165 now!

MackerelOfFact Tue 26-Mar-13 20:23:47

Actually, there is a LOT of beautiful jewellery on that site. In not even that much of a jewellery person and am now coveting about 10 things. blush

AlwaysOneMissing Tue 26-Mar-13 20:51:27

Wow, all these replies - I love it, thank you! Ok, where to start...

Madammecholet I do quite like the Versace scarf. I feel like that would be a bit of a heirloom to last for years to come. A possibility.
I'm not too keen on the Monica Vinader rings, not really my style. The Isabel Marant necklace not to my taste I'm afraid (I have something against tassels!!). I do love the McQueen cuff, but it's not something I can imagine wearing for years to come (maybe too fashionable?).
And I actually came back to this thread to see what people thought of me investing in a Peony & Moore, but you beat me to it! (Did you get the email promoting their 20% off sale too?!). I think this is the front runner so far! I have been eyeing up the Lucia for months now, and heard good things on here.

LittlePandaBear I do love my shoes, but I have funny feet and struggle so much to get shoes to fit that it would be more of a stress than an enjoyment grin. But thanks for the suggestion, it's a good idea in principle!

Hmmm, I don't think I like that bumble bee necklace enough buttercrumble, sorry blush

Slug that's a great website! Such interesting pieces on there. Nothing caught my eye for now, but I will be checking back on there in the future.

Thanks so much for all these suggestions, they are great, keep it up!!

verytellytubby Tue 26-Mar-13 21:52:51

I LOVE the Tom Ford sunglasses. I got a new job today so may treat myself on payday smile

madammecholet Tue 26-Mar-13 22:31:36

OP I have a Lucia handbag in camel, it's gorgeous, had it 18mnths and still love it vellytellytubby I've worn those Tom Fords for 4 years and they're the best sunnies I've ever had.. smile

AlwaysOneMissing Tue 26-Mar-13 22:54:07

Madammecholet is the Lucia roomy? It looks like the opening at the top is quite small and I imagine rummaging round in it trying to find stuff. It would need to hold DCs bits too. I quite like the look of the mariella too, but not too sure on the colours.

Love the sunglasses, but I'd need to try them on first so might look for them in a shop.

madammecholet Wed 27-Mar-13 09:05:18

I have the old style Lucia, which is open at the top and I get loads in it. I've also got Mariella in pink from a couple years ago too, its about 1/3rd bigger and will fit more in it for sure, plus Mariella has 2nd cross body strap which is fab for DC's.. I tend to use Lucia for work, as its smarter, Mariella for DC's..

AlwaysOneMissing Wed 27-Mar-13 13:33:21

Oh I didn't realise the Lucia had changed. I am thinking then that a slightly bigger bag might be better for with the DC, as you say. But looking on the site, I think I actually prefer the Georgia in this vanilla colour for summer.
Does anyone have any experience of the Georgia or seen one in real life?

madammecholet Wed 27-Mar-13 15:58:10

Yeah, that looks gorgeous too AlwaysOneMissing smile

verytellytubby Wed 27-Mar-13 20:17:51

madammecholet I can't tell you how much I want them! Roll on payday.

aoife24 Wed 27-Mar-13 20:52:36

I quite agree about Becksondergaard silk/wool scarves. I bought this thoushaltcovet.com/designers/becksondergaard-1/b-dragon-party-ashes-scarf.html recently and just love it smile

ivanapoo Wed 27-Mar-13 22:13:35

I got a gorgeous Becksondergaard scarf in TK Maxx for about £18...

Beegey Thu 28-Mar-13 08:02:47

Also love Becksondergaard...

MrsDoomsPatterson Thu 28-Mar-13 08:21:22

I have the Tom Ford whitney with gold detail. They're lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now