Talk

Advanced search

laser treatment for acne

(8 Posts)
liberatedbetty Sun 24-Mar-13 11:22:08

Hi. I'm thinking about trying lader treatment to zap some scars and minor indentations. Can anyone share experiences?
Thanks
LB x

FairPhyllis Sun 24-Mar-13 16:59:54

I've had a couple of different ones, but they were in the US so they might be called different things here. One was called Isolaz, which combines a light treatment with a vacuum, another was V Beam, which is used to treat the hyperpigmentation acne leaves behind, and another was Smoothbeam, which stimulates collagen formation and is good for acne and scarring.

Which laser you use will depend on what your skin is like, so I would get some consultations and see what a couple of places recommend. I found I was a little bit red after treatments and you need to wear sunscreen after, but they weren't painful - although I was given a topical anaesthetic for the Smoothbeam.

bulletproofgerbil Sun 24-Mar-13 17:56:53

dd had some about 10 years ago for quite bad acne. It did absolutely nothing for it though sadly. It was either just her, or the quality of the treatment she had - not sure which.
Laser technology will be more advanced now though, but would definitely really do as much research as possible.

liberatedbetty Wed 03-Apr-13 08:55:44

Hi. Thanks for replies- been away so not able to post until now.
Now wondering if crystal clear microdermabrasion might be better.
Any thoughts?
And thanks again!
LB

cedge Wed 03-Apr-13 12:51:40

I would not use a laser. Only the other day i saw this bad account

beautysnug.com/index.php?topic=264.0

I would have thought microdermabrasion was safer.

cedge Thu 04-Apr-13 12:16:20

Or TCA peels might work on scarring.

lurkingaround Thu 04-Apr-13 14:02:23

I've had a few Fraxels for some acne scarring. I think that link cedge posted is unusual. With any treatment, topical, oral, injectable, there are possible side effects. It's a choice, and a balance - weighing the good against the possible bad - and a good cosmetic dermatologist will talk you thru it very well. My scarring wasn't awful, I had 4 Fraxel sessions. Tbh, I probably need a few more but cannot budget for them time- or money-wise atm. They are expensive, but afaik, the gold standard for scarring treatment. Microdermabrasion might help, but not a lot I think. My skin is in fab condition, my marks have improved. Skin condtn really good. (Have to say it twice! But itis)

cedge Fri 05-Apr-13 12:39:56

IMO dr selection plays a big part in a patients experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now