Talk

Advanced search

Do nice flattering, comfy shorts exist?

(14 Posts)
horseymum Tue 19-Mar-13 19:53:57

I am going to Romania in the summer where it will (hopefully!) be very hot. I will probably be wearing dresses or skirts as I think these will probably be coolest but think it would be nice to have some shorts if we go to the beach. i only ever wear shorts for sports ie running so not sure what is out there. Would want something longish (don't want to scare folks with my legs!) but comfy, don't need to be tailored. Any suggestions?

wiltingfast Tue 19-Mar-13 23:06:45

There is no such thing woman. Wear your skirts and dresses to beach grin

Bunbaker Wed 20-Mar-13 09:08:38

I am on the lookout for some longish shorts as well. I have been "window shopping" on the net and seen some at Debenhams that I like the look of and am off shopping on Friday. I will report back.

twojumpingbeans Wed 20-Mar-13 09:10:23

They do not exist! Unless you are a skinny teenager :-)

HappyAsEyeAm Wed 20-Mar-13 09:30:37

I haven't found shorts to be flattering since I was in my early twenties. Mini skirts (well, not mini as in belt length mini) and vest tops, and floaty beach dresses like they always sell in M&S next to their swimwear are what I choose to wear to the beach. I had two in M&S last year and they did me very well indeed on holiday last year to just put over a swimsuit to have lunch and travel to/from the beach and whatever.

Sonotkylie Wed 20-Mar-13 11:31:11

They do exist but live with Father Christmas and the reasonable man, so rarely seen. I cannot do shorts at all as I hate my knees ( so would you if you met them uncovered). I wondered whether cropped harem/ hareem pants would do the right job ... Hush usually do some and I think La Redoute have done them in the past. Not sure I have seen them recently. Just an idea. Comfy and easy to wear and usually knee length ish. Bit more glam perhaps?

erowid Wed 20-Mar-13 14:01:46

culottes ?

or Thai fishermans pants ?

horseymum Mon 25-Mar-13 21:48:24

as I thought! will stick to dresses as I also don't like my knees. Culottes remind me of some 80's fashion mistakes!

OneLittleLady Mon 25-Mar-13 21:58:50

Shorts seem to be getting shorter from what I've seen. Not a good look unless you're a skinny leggy teen/early twenties. I'd love to wear shorts but have finally accepted that they just don't suit my shape or size. sad

DewDr0p Mon 25-Mar-13 22:01:06

Bizarrely, I think if you are brave enough, shorter shorts are more flattering than long ones. (not hotpants but mid-upper thigh, I mean)

greenspot Mon 25-Mar-13 22:27:26

I have these gap boyfriend and I think they look ok!

PastaBeeandCheese Tue 26-Mar-13 08:15:29

Definitely no. Even when I was so thin i could hula hoop in a cherrio I still didn't wear them as my legs were always so white. confused

I own a pair of linen shorts for knocking about the house on hot days and they look awful compared to a dress or skirt.

Dilidali Tue 26-Mar-13 13:31:22

Maybe linen trousers that you roll up?
Or if a cheap sainsbury pair you could chop up and turn into shorts? smile

DewDr0p Tue 26-Mar-13 14:51:11

Ah yes they are the sole pair of shorts I own too greenspot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now