Talk

Advanced search

Crepey continuum

(1000 Posts)
Cremolafoam Mon 18-Mar-13 15:12:53

grin Over here!

hattymattie Mon 01-Apr-13 19:34:08

Crikey MI - that's really tough poor thing.

Stropperella Mon 01-Apr-13 19:37:08

Oh no, MI, that's awful. sad

Dd's toe is glued together and strapped to its next door neighbour. That's it in terms of treatment. She has to do as little as possible for the next 48 hours and then not much after that for another 7-10 days. Will be better just in time to go back to school. Her day got a wee bit worse when she got her hamster out to show to the lovely (ahem) nephews this afternoon and the hamster took one look at the v. loud nephews, folded his ears back and sank his teeth into dd's thumb. (Can't say I blame him, they tend to have the same effect on me). The dog also got mighty sweary with one of the nephews but n didn't even notice and no blood was spilled, thankfully. Rellies brought the makings of lunch with them + wine, so all was not lost. And we had a fun time reminiscing about all the times that we injured ourselves as children and dm told us to stop whining and go away and then it eventually turned out we had broken something. This happened surprisingly often. I don't know what it says about us as a family that we were all laughing hysterically about this (including dm). And db says to dd "See, you totally got off lightly: you only broke a toe and your mother actually took you to hospital". grin

Then we left dd at home on the sofa with granny and took the boys for a tour of the play parks of the town. This means we drive to all play areas in turn, turf boys out into park, tell them they have 15 mins to try everything in park (parks v. small) and then they have to run back to car and give everything marks out of 10 before we move on to next park. Do 3 parks and you've used up an hour and quite a lot of boy energy. There was a moment where I though I might have to go back to A&E again when dh insisted on helping ds mountaineer up some piece of equipment and got a hefty (but entirely accidental) kick right in the mouth for his pains. Dh is the one with the iffy and outrageously expensive teeth in our family and as there was blood and whining, I was fearing the worst. However, teeth are still in sockets whilst his lip is about twice the size of normal. Db and dsil then felt they wanted to leave before our family Bank Holiday curse started to affect them. grin

motherinferior Mon 01-Apr-13 19:37:33

I know. She is a very pragmatic woman - a children's nurse, in fact she knew my friends whose little girl died - and he was going to be very hard to deal with but it must also be dreadful.

Btw MrsS you have an AH.

Stropperella Mon 01-Apr-13 21:00:22

Am a bit worried that MrS has had a few marbles go missing. The "lazy" comment sounds like a "light the blue touch paper and stand well back" moment.

Cremolafoam Mon 01-Apr-13 21:48:23

The film was brilliant!
It was like a step back in time for me. All the elements if my late childhood and teenage years are all in there.
At the credits they showed pics of real people at the time and dh and I were going - oh there's Gerry , god look there's Paula! Then they showed a pic of dh's late brother in full on punk gear. We are now emotional wrecks and feeling quite sad and wistful .

Dd was on screen for a nano second and we all went ' ooh' at the same moment!grin
Dh says he was not filmed as he was standing at the back ' holding the girls coats' what a guy!grin

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 01-Apr-13 22:17:18

That is horrible, MI. Really sad.

I have reached the point of wanting to crawl off and live in a hole on my own. Apart from DH, I called my Dear Mother tonight. She was full of nastiness and bitterness - my cousin having come home from Australia "to wait until his mother dies so that he can claim his inheritance", followed by "I haven't seen anyone all weekend." Did she invite anyone over (she has many widowed friends) "No - why should I? They know where I live." Finished up with a stream of vitriol from her because I hadn't sent her an Easter card - they're not exactly on every street corner in Paris - and when did people start sending Easter cards as a matter of course anyway? People asked her if she had heard from me, and what I was doing. Her response? "Oh I never hear from her, she's much too busy with her own life to bother calling me." I phone her at least once a week - often twice, and last spoke to her on Wednesday. And she never, ever, calls me.

And I still want to stab DH.

Stropperella Mon 01-Apr-13 22:27:49

MrsS, you deserve some respite. Any chance of a trip to the UK to have some r&r check out a school or seven.

herbaceous Mon 01-Apr-13 22:45:52

BD and Crem - just watched Argo and thought it was totally excellent. But so tense! And so amazing that it was a true story! And made me very glad I wasn't an American in Ayatollah-era Iran.

Mrs S. Stab both your husband and your mother.

Stropperella Mon 01-Apr-13 23:25:40

<waits for BTM to post cheery holiday snaps on profile - because the rest of us need to see a bit of sun, d'you hear?>

rubyrubyruby Mon 01-Apr-13 23:36:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bigTillyMint Tue 02-Apr-13 02:53:19

This time difference is making for a lot of catching up!

Glad to hear your DDs toe is on the mend Stropps (broke one meself as a kid), sorry to hear about your friend MI, glad the films were good, no sympathy for your hangovers Herbs (but lots re the braying mothers with small offspring - we have many in our neck of the woods...

MrsS how about inviting your DM to stay and then disappearing - leaving your DH to cook, clean and entertain?!

Ruby, that sounds like a good challenge - might have to give it a go myself when I get back. If the weather has turned a bit warmer.

No holiday snaps will be posted on MN but Im happy to FB friend you allsmile

bigTillyMint Tue 02-Apr-13 02:58:24

Festival party sounds good - I am desperately looking around to see if there is anything we could get to this summer.

hattymattie Tue 02-Apr-13 07:28:00

Aww - just one BTM - of you in a tiny bikini toasting yourself in the sun smile. You can keep your dark glasses on.

I'd heard Argo was good but a bit anti-British. I fancy Crem's film though.

rubyrubyruby Tue 02-Apr-13 07:46:50

Blackduck Tue 02-Apr-13 08:07:56

Oh yes BTM pic on profile here, selected viewers ;)
Ruby why don't you put pics of self on FB? (I don't, of me but that's because I am totally unphotogenic) oh, and what made you tie the knot after such a long time?
Cremo films sounds good...might try to catch it if it ever reaches the sticks! Argo - anti British - hum - only from the POV that our Embassy didn't take them in.

MrsS time for a bit of R&R without DH (or your mother) - sorry you are having a rubbish break....

bigTillyMint Tue 02-Apr-13 08:18:20

Have accepted your request ruby, I hope - the signals a bit intermittent here!s

I havent got a MN profile - will look into it, but it does sound a bit techy and I wont be able to ask DD for advice!

rubyrubyruby Tue 02-Apr-13 08:37:09

Blackduck Tue 02-Apr-13 08:38:12

Oh share!!! smile
(Hope its the new one...)

rubyrubyruby Tue 02-Apr-13 08:51:20

Blackduck Tue 02-Apr-13 09:03:16

Well when's the next meet then ;)
Ahh sweet of your DH - but, yes, typical that everyone thinks you wore him down smile. Dp once, very romantically, said ' we'll get married if you want' - I was hardly bowled over!!

hattymattie Tue 02-Apr-13 09:03:40

I look like a terrorist in photo's so I avoid putting them up as well grin.

I cut my FB friends to people out of the country (that is France) and immediate family after we started getting sucked into v nasty divorce round our neck of the woods.

Ruby - is there a multi-story carpark in Cambridge with security - so that if we roll up with a car full of luggage we can park it safely whilst we walk around. I googled but not very helpful really.

Have in the meantime discovered that if DD wants to do British/French law at Kings:Sorbonne she will have to pay UK uni fees if she applies UK end ie.9K:year. If she applies the French end it will cost 15OE:year (even for the two years at Kings) hmm.

hattymattie Tue 02-Apr-13 09:04:23

Kings College London that is (not Cambridge).

Blackduck Tue 02-Apr-13 09:12:16

Welcome to the world of UK HE Hattie - makes the system more competitive dontcha know. Hence the reason MrsS and I are looking abroad!

Terrorist smile
My FB is tres minimal, I think I frequently offend by refusing to connect to everyone....

herbaceous Tue 02-Apr-13 09:20:20

envy I want to be crepeys' friends and see pictures of them in bikinis!

Re Argo being anti-British, I wasn't even aware of the mention of anything Brit-related. Maybe I missed a bit.

Re marriage, I wanted to get married a few years ago. Or, rather, I wanted DP to want to marry me. He eventually explained it wasn't marriage he was set against, but the idea of a wedding, with attendant complications with his vast Irish family.

Now he keeps dropping hints about getting married, but I almost feel the moment has passed. Though it would mean a nice dress.

Blackduck Tue 02-Apr-13 09:22:56

Me too Herbs (seeing pics that is!)
Can't you slope off somewhere and get married sans family?

This thread is not accepting new messages.