Talk

Advanced search

Pale BB cream?

(39 Posts)
mumfordanddaughters Sun 03-Mar-13 11:23:30

I bought the L'orial BB cream after seeing posters here sing their praises (even though I get unreasonably annoyed that I can't find out what BB stands for, does anybody have any idea?). I got the fair one, thinking I probably didn't need to match it too carefully because it would probably be rubbed in or like a primer. Hadn't read properly, had I, it is more like a foundation (tinted moisturiser I suppose) and it is too dark for me (I am verypale) and leaves an attractive orange tideline! Can anybody recommend a paler one or something better for me, please?

mumfordanddaughters Sun 03-Mar-13 11:32:35

L'oreal. Obv.

I think BB = blemish balm, but I might have invented that.

I'm also v pale. I'm currently mixing the Garnier anti-aging one in Light (which is a tiny bit lighter than the normal one) with a Max Factor foundation that is deathly pale.

pinkpaperpiggy Sun 03-Mar-13 11:40:46

I am currently using a La Roche Posay one and it is quiet pale. I have the light shade.

www.laroche-posay.com/products-treatments/Hydreane/Hydreane-BB-Cream-p7302.aspx

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 03-Mar-13 11:41:30

The La Roche Posay one is very pale indeed.

laracroft2001 Sun 03-Mar-13 11:42:24

BB does indeed stand for Blemish balm. Try the new Givenchy one.. Great for paler skins

mumfordanddaughters Sun 03-Mar-13 11:43:00

Thanks! And is it supposed to be foundationy or should I rub it in?

mumfordanddaughters Sun 03-Mar-13 11:43:58

Hooray for knowing it is blemish balm. Now I can instead be annoyed by the ...balm cream thing (like a PIN number) while I wait to get a life smile

Don't rub it in.

cornycruzcampo Sun 03-Mar-13 11:47:26

ginvera bb cream is pale.here
It's a bit lighter than Laura Mercier nude tinted moisturiser if that's any use. I used the ginvera bb cream over winter. It's really nice.

cocobongo Sun 03-Mar-13 13:10:37

I'm very pale and am using Bobbi Brown Extra Light

gindrinker Sun 03-Mar-13 17:01:38

The boots 17 one is pale. I'm ginger and it works for me.

mumfordanddaughters Sun 03-Mar-13 17:08:05

Thanks. I've got a few to try!

Mewsical Sun 03-Mar-13 19:00:06

Soap & Glory - the Fairest of the Fair...is fairly pale. It's foundation and primer though not strictly a BB cream. I use the palest foundations in each range in winter.

ZacharyQuack Sun 03-Mar-13 20:35:01

Clinique BB in 01 is very pale.

trixymalixy Sun 03-Mar-13 20:38:15

I ordered a Korean one from eBay, as recommended on here. It was too pale for me and I find the garnier one suits my skin tone.

TerraNotSoFirma Sun 03-Mar-13 23:08:54

I'm also very pale, skin79 (korean brand via ebay) in the orange bottle is perfect for pale with yellow undertones. If your skin is dry you'll need a moisturiser underneath.

Eliza22 Mon 04-Mar-13 09:05:07

Erm, if you might need a moisturiser underneath and some foundation on top, isn't it just another layer? Excuse my being a bit thick about this but, aren't BB creams supposed to be worn alone, instead of...

I haven't a clue. I just do moisturiser and foundation, which I've done for 30 + years (50 yr old here) smile

TerraNotSoFirma Mon 04-Mar-13 09:11:38

Yeah BB creams are supposed to be a one stop shop. smile

But I do think you have to take your individual skin needs into account as the BB creams tend to be aimed at a 'normal' skin type. I always used an extra layer of SPF after my moisturiser anyway, just to be on the safe side.

mumfordanddaughters Mon 04-Mar-13 09:44:58

Oh see you learn so much from mumsnet. It never even crossed my mind not to moisturise first! I wouldn't put foundation on top though. Mind you, I moisturise under tinted moisturiser because I don't trust it to do it right.
I can see trying all these shades and brands is going to get expensive. I already have a useless tube of L'oreal with 3 squeezes out of it!

Eliza22 Mon 04-Mar-13 11:54:18

So, when some posters say you don't rub it in like a moisturiser, do you just sort of put a thin layer on and let it dry?

Thinking of getting some but I'm very very pale!

Thanks

MerryMingeWhingesAgain Mon 04-Mar-13 12:00:22

Just kind of smooth it over rather than rub it in.

I use moisturiser as well, very dry skin though. I used to use one of the lightest shades of Clinique Almost Makeup but now use the Garnier BB most of the time, and another Clinique base that I can't remember the name of if I want more coverage.

valiumredhead Mon 04-Mar-13 12:04:28

Blemish Balm? I thought it was Balance and Brightening balm!

They are all orange ime.

ClartyCarol Mon 04-Mar-13 12:04:39

I have the Rimmel one which is pretty pale, not orangey at all.

I thought BB stood for Beauty Balm confused.

Wildfig Mon 04-Mar-13 12:15:48

i think it originally stood for Blemish Balm, but when US/European companies started developing it for their home markets some bright spark in marketing realised that 'blemish' wasn't the sexiest advertising sell of all time...

I've got redhead skin and have tried:

Garnier - even the palest shade turned me into a greasy oompah loompah
Liz Earle Skin Tint - oddly sticky, not much coverage, nice sheen, SPF
Bobbi Brown BB cream - probably the best, but vv expensive at £28 for a tiny tube

When I've used up the Liz Earle, I'm quite interested in trying the Dr Jart ones in Boots - anyone know if they're any good?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now