Talk

Advanced search

Good acne products?

(20 Posts)
ExpatWifey Thu 28-Feb-13 18:15:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BikeRunSki Thu 28-Feb-13 18:26:22

Sudocreme rubbed in all over at bed time. It's amazing, which i'd known 30 years ago.

Iseeall Thu 28-Feb-13 18:33:32

I would try a different moisturiser. I have used Decleor prolagene gel on my acne scarred chin/jawline. I think the oil is probably to rich, hence the pimples. The gel is light and cool in the skin and non greasy. I still use it now in very hot weather when my usual moisturiser is too much. I have combination skin/some hormonal spots. If you have not been to your gp for a proper diagnosis you may want to do that. Doctors take acne seriously.

LynetteScavo Thu 28-Feb-13 18:34:25

Not cheap but brilliant

The prodigal pen is the best discovery I've ever made (apart from a push up bra).

Mumelie Thu 28-Feb-13 20:42:26

Go to your GP - best thing I ever did for my acne - no spots for 6 weeks now - antibiotic gel worked a treat!

CognitiveOverload Thu 28-Feb-13 20:48:19

Gp gave me duac once daily...brilliant!

Samu2 Thu 28-Feb-13 20:52:18

I just got prescribed Duac so hope it works for me.

I had acne as a teen and it went for 10 years then came back sad I am 31 years old and walking around with horrid massive spots, doesn't help my self esteem.

I have used cliniques anti-blemish products and a whole host of other products but nothing made a big difference. I did follow the acne org routine for a while and still follow the cleansing routine.

Windowbasket Thu 28-Feb-13 22:08:18

I have just finished week one of using Duac. I think it's working, things seem to be getting a bit better. I've also started using Liz Earle cleanse & polish and it seems lovely. Have tried sooo many different products, wasted money and generally felt fed up. But am hoping that this time I'm going to see some real results. My skin certainly FEELS better after using the Liz Earle stuff.

Ginformation Thu 28-Feb-13 22:15:56

I use Eucerin Dermopurifyer range (boots often have it 3 for 2). It can be used alongside prescribed creams. its not too drying and my skin has really settled.

upinthehills Thu 28-Feb-13 22:32:22

Second the GP - get some topical antibiotic lotion - mine came as a liquid which I rubbed on at night. Totally sorted out all my spots in weeks - and I had lots.

Windowbasket Thu 28-Feb-13 22:39:44

My GP told me that if the DUAC does not work I can look at going on long-term antibiotics. Hoping the DUAC will do the job as not keen on option b. Roll on some sunshine - perhaps the vitamin D will help! OP, from what I have read, it seems like going to the doc and getting a prescription seems to be the most effective option.

vacuuming Thu 28-Feb-13 23:32:47

I think I am getting spots from my memory foam mattress. I get them on my back, back of thighs and back of arms. I've considered keratosis pilaris but I don't think that is what it is. I've tried Duac, but I'd need to slather it on quite a bit and the tubes are small. anyone else have problems like this?

ExpatWifey Fri 01-Mar-13 06:57:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Samu2 Fri 01-Mar-13 08:37:53

I recently came off antibiotics and they worked really well. However, when I came off them I had a massive outbreak, my skin had never looked so bad in my life, big cystic spots everywhere. It did settle down after a couple of weeks and stayed away for a while too but I wanted to try Duac this time instead of going on another course of antibiotics.

If you haven't already go look at the acne.org routine. On the forums there is a section for UK products as well. It has very good reviews and I know a few people who got on well with it. Mine is more cystic at this point so I needed something stronger.

minicreamegg Fri 01-Mar-13 08:47:02

I've just bought Aknicare for my teenage daughter, she's suffered for 3 years now so I'm hoping the reviews I've read are right and the lotion does work as I nearly died at the price.

salycic acid is a wonder product Bravura have a range its made my skin luminous and clear it now looks clean instead of clogged and spotty

RamblingRosa Fri 01-Mar-13 10:41:15

Have you tried La Roche Posay Effaclar products? K http://www.laroche-posay.co.uk/product-treatments/Effaclar/Effaclar-K-p685.aspx is working at clearing up the spots I've been getting on my jaw line.

I generally prefer to go down a more natural route. Like you, I think face oils are really good, even for oily skin. Have you tried mixing a few drops of pure tea tree oil with your usual oil? Also, have you tried the oil cleansing method? I'm using a La Roche Posay cleanser at the moment but in general, for years I've used nothing but rich cleansing balms or pure coconut oil and a hot muslin cloth to cleanse my face.

sandraw74 Tue 21-May-13 12:03:12

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

dellabob Tue 21-May-13 14:37:56

I'd like to recommend the Mario Badescu range as a miracle cure for acne/cystic acne. I've recently discovered it after developing horrid cystic acne that develops into huge painful bumps that last for weeks and eventually turn into scarring. At my wits end and lots of research i plumped for the Buffering lotion and the acne facial cleanser which has salycic acid in. Within a matter of days, the cystic acne had reduced, after a week they were almost gone.

My routine now is to wash in aqueous cream to avoid all unnecessary irritation, then wash concerned areas in the cleanser. Then I use a capsule of evening primrose oil on my face as it reduces the acne scars (and makes my skin lovely to boot). For major outbreaks, I use the buffering lotion a couple of nights on target area which eliminates. Its brill. I am like a new gal after discovering this range.

Good luck

UserError Tue 21-May-13 15:49:29

I second salicylic acid. I also use the Dermaflannel from Bravura London and it keeps those bumpy type of spots that you describe under control. I use pure salicylic acid (it's supposed to be used as a peel) as a dot-on individual spots treatment and I use a moisturiser with glycolic acid in it. My skin has never been so clear and even my scarring and redness is fading.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now