Talk

Advanced search

Right, please re-educate me. Which shops are stylish?

(39 Posts)
INeedThatForkOff Tue 05-Feb-13 22:19:48

I've been reading the love to hate White Stuff thread in amusement and embarrassmemt, because although I always look shit in their stuff I do tend to keep looking at it and thinking maybe I'll get this or that while I lose a bit of baby weight. It inexplicably holds its value on eBay too, so I've been kind of lulled into thinking it's stylish.

So. I'm currently a size 16 but in the process of shifting 3st accumulated over two babies and three years. I look dreadful at the moment, wearing a limited mix of horrible Frugi breastfeeding stuff, a couple of maternity dresses blush and a pair of vile Next stretchy bootcuts (yeah, I know) with BFing tops. I absolutely hate what I'm wearing but there seems no point in spending good money when I have every intention if being a size ten by the end of the year.

But it begs the question, how did I end up with such an awful postnatal wardrobe in the first place? Well I shop online, buying whatever's cheap and will do.

I'm sending back the latest ill-judged order of half price Amari stuff tomorrow, and earlier I thought, well I might as well jut order a few things from Next. Then I got a fucking grip on myself.

Which shops tend to be stylish and a bit fashionable without being too expensive? I'm 35 and dumpy, and want to stop looking like crap all the time.

LifeofPo Wed 06-Feb-13 13:19:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LifeofPo Wed 06-Feb-13 13:20:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fromparistoberlin Wed 06-Feb-13 14:54:49

i am a 14 and have re-engaged with Zara

but its borderline!!!!

I love buying stuff that says XXXXXXL, LOVE IT

Ashoething Wed 06-Feb-13 16:58:56

Sorry I forgot to add the shops I like!-

new look-beware of things being v short though
zara-cant fit into their teeny tiny clothes but excellent for leather handbags,shoes and lovely scarves
monsoon-not any of the hippy shite but had nice dresses from them-always get them 70% off too.
Warehouse-again I only buy in sales as think the quality is a rip off

INeedThatForkOff Wed 06-Feb-13 22:47:36

Well I've looked and looked and looked (online) - Warehouse, Oasis, French Connection (sale) - I just can't see anything I think I'd look ok in. There is a lot of loose-fitting knitwear around that I don't think would do me any favours. A lot of metallic stuff that just seems a bit much for toddler sessions. I can't seem to visualise anything as it might look on me. I'm shit at clothes sad

Sulawesi Wed 06-Feb-13 23:00:27

Going back a bit - they aren't 'just' clothes though as sadly or happily a brand does say a lot about the wearer and with Boden or White Stuff it is very easy to identify that brand. Not that I think that's necessarily bad.

I like the odd thing from both as it happens but top to toe anything can look a bit peculiar. I actually think it's ok that people can identify what you are wearing as long as you wear it with confidence.

I agree scarves scarves and more scarves can really make an outfit!

I love French Connection, All Saints, bit of Top Shop, bit of Oasis and maybe even the odd bit of plain Boden - trouble is you do have to keep trawling and some days you won't find a thing especially when you are trying!

Sulawesi Wed 06-Feb-13 23:02:30

OP - sometimes I find trawling on-line soul destroying as there is too much choice and you can't get a real feel for what you are looking at. Nothing beats a good shopping session and some lunch! Disclaimer - I know it can be depressing coming back with nothing but there will always be new stuff the following week smile.

fromparistoberlin Wed 06-Feb-13 23:32:35

OP you need to go shopping, to real shops!

INeedThatForkOff Thu 07-Feb-13 07:45:34

I will then, at some point. This is going to mean confronting myself in the mirror <steels self>

AgathaF Thu 07-Feb-13 08:28:47

OP - what about having a personal shopper session in somewhere like John Lewis. I haven't tried that myself, but people I know that have have been quite impressed. I think they bring you stuff that you wouldn't consider yourself, which is a good idea as we can all get stuck in a bit of a rut sometimes.

CareerGirl01 Thu 07-Feb-13 09:32:49

Dress agencies are great for finding designer stuff at cheap prices - if (like me) you enjoy trying them on. I bought an LK Bennett wrap dress and kitten heel boots for £20 and £25 respectively. All Saints open toed boots I wouldn't normally buy were on eBay for £15 and I love them. I'm not a real L K Bennett fan btw - but it's good for when I go and meet editors and contacts (work from home). Managed to find a Hobbs suit in our local charity shop - normally retails at £300 for the shift and jacket together - for £30. John Lewis personal shopping is a great idea as it will give you the bug for experimenting

fromparistoberlin Thu 07-Feb-13 13:25:09

This is going to mean confronting myself in the mirror <steels self>

come on! hair, make up, spanx , black tights and heels

Its MUST be done and size 16 aint huge

mail order wont cut it sista

GingernutButter Thu 07-Feb-13 15:06:08

Charity shops and ebay are your friends...

a) You won't splurge lots of money on clothes that won't fit forever
b) A lot of highstreet shops only stock "seasonal" pieces that don't suit everyone (high necks, I'm looking at you. Weep). I could walk into M&S right now and just cringe, but turns out M&S circa five years or so ago suits me fabulously (is good quality, too). You can update looks with seasonal accessories, remember.

Like you, I'm a 16 and I'm still losing weight. I have all sorts of labels in my wardrobe--from LK Bennett to Peacocks--I bought them because they suit me, and I learned by trying a heap of different "seasons" on in charity shops. Only about 10% of my wardrobe these days is brand new.

DewDr0p Thu 07-Feb-13 15:32:33

Second the personal shopper idea - House of Fraser and John Lewis both offer a fab (free) service.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now