Help needed, which curling iron is best?

(45 Posts)
FabMum1 Tue 29-Jan-13 20:49:02

I've got shoulder length hair, which is very boring in colour and style.

I'd love for it to look wavy, not really curly and am looking for a curling iron to do it.

Can you recommend anything that'll work

Help smile

Wishiwasanheiress Thu 14-Feb-13 10:54:15

Ghds. I love the curls they create and stay in next day too

FabMum1 Fri 15-Feb-13 22:13:04

The prob with the baby lists wand is that it doesn't have the arm to hold my hair in place. I'll end up with burnt fingers lol

AngelaMartinLipton Fri 15-Feb-13 22:19:25

I have a babyliss wand, butt not the oblong one. I much prefer ones without an arm.

FabMum1 Fri 15-Feb-13 22:25:14

I've tried one without the arm and just kept burning myself, lol, even with the heat resistant glove on

wickedfairy Thu 21-Feb-13 14:08:50

My hair is maiming straight with a slight kink and collar bone length.

Would I be able to use the waving wand? Is my hair long enough?

I would love one but can't afford to buy it then find out my hair is too short!! Any advice gratefully received smile

wickedfairy Thu 21-Feb-13 14:09:26

Argh. "Maiming"???? I meant mainly, stupid phone...

Joey8 Thu 21-Feb-13 14:53:25

I have long hair (past my shoulders) and I have the Babyliss wand - rather than curls it makes my hair wavy, although thats probably because my hair is so long.

I actually find hair straighteners really good for curling, I find they curl my hair a lot quicker, especially as I only curl the ends. My current ones (Jolie) I got from ebay, they've been fab but are on there way out :-(

Anyone know of any good (and cheap!) alternatives?!

Joey8 Thu 21-Feb-13 16:29:15

Wickedfairy - you could definitely still use the curling wand, you will be able to make your hair into loose curls/wavy - would look great :-)

wickedfairy Thu 21-Feb-13 19:05:18

Thanks Joey, I might just get one. Just worried my hair is a little bit short... I am growing it though smile

AngelaMartinLipton Fri 22-Feb-13 08:15:34

My hair is pretty long and I can use a wand. The woman in this You Tube Video has very long hair. I find using mousse really helps.

geordiepidge Fri 22-Feb-13 08:55:32

I have the oblong Babyliss one and can't fathom it out - I just get a massive kink where the hair's gone round the edges of the wand so I end up with oblong curls! I've also got straighteners, a chunky tong and a round, tapered wand but can't work any of them.

AngelaMartinLipton Fri 22-Feb-13 11:51:03

I have a tapered wand. I wrap from the root and try to make sure the strand of hair touches the wand. My hair is long so I do it in three parts: the root - I just rub it up and down to give it lift. Secondly I do from root to the middle and the just curl the end. I use mousse when I dry my hair and then spray my hair but don't brush it.

I have to wash my hair everyday but it is supposed to be better to style if your hair isn't freshly washed - it is too shiney to keep a curl. It might be worth going to the hairdressers with a style you like and then trying to re-create it.

FabMum1 Sat 23-Feb-13 22:11:46

I've tried the tapered babyliss n didn't get n with it

That's why I want one with an arm on it

HeidiWB Wed 07-Jan-15 21:54:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

kristy12 Thu 11-Jun-15 18:47:42

Karmin Clipless. I have their hair dryer and curling iron, both are great products.

laurawaters Thu 17-Nov-16 15:23:38

Liiinoo Thu 17-Nov-16 16:09:17

This. The heated bit is covered so you can't touch it. I use the lowest setting and it makes loose curls that I can brush into soft waves with loads of volume. It's expensive but worth it. I gave two pairs of curling tongs and an InStyler to the charity shop this week. My Curl Secret has replaced them all.

www.boots.com/en/Babyliss-Curl-Secret_1337289/

melodywilliams Wed 07-Dec-16 14:08:28

hotsweetpotato Wed 07-Dec-16 14:19:36

I have shoulder length hair too & after years of only straightening it have just started to try to curl it slightly.

Do I need to put mousse in my hair before blow dry to help the curls/waves stay ?
Also, how do I get the waves/curls to keep their definition? Seem to end up a frizzy mess after a few hours at the back of my head!!

Sorry for the questions, but the last time I tried to curl my hair was with bendy leave in rollers in the 90s....!!!
Thanks

barabra16 Fri 24-Feb-17 21:43:05

Definitely Karmin curling wand is the best I have ever used =)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now