Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Help needed, which curling iron is best?

(45 Posts)
FabMum1 Tue 29-Jan-13 20:49:02

I've got shoulder length hair, which is very boring in colour and style.

I'd love for it to look wavy, not really curly and am looking for a curling iron to do it.

Can you recommend anything that'll work

Help smile

DanGleebals Tue 29-Jan-13 22:06:05

I have some fab Babyliss ones. They have a slightly rectangular shaped barrel and you just wrap sections of your hair around the barrel. I can't remember the name. Will have a look...

DanGleebals Tue 29-Jan-13 22:10:00


Hope the link works - I'm on my phone!

FabMum1 Wed 30-Jan-13 20:36:18

Oh I've never seen that before, does it work?

I'd love waves like the Victoria Secrets models, lol. I'd love their body to, but no chance

spanishring Wed 30-Jan-13 21:42:07

Yeah that oblong one. It's foolproof

DanGleebals Wed 30-Jan-13 21:56:09

Oblong, that's the word I was after grin. I love it! I am crap with hair and yet even I manage to look half decent when using these.

carmenelectra Thu 31-Jan-13 11:05:50

I have the Babyliss wand and its fantastic. Really easy to use. I have never been able to curl hair with straighteners and I haven't really tried regular tongs, but this is a piece of cake.
I can probably do my hair quicker this way than by normal drying and straightening.

My hair is long(middle back) and with a natural wave.

FabMum1 Thu 31-Jan-13 20:45:22

Carmenelectra- do you have the oblong tong or a different one?

carbondated Thu 31-Jan-13 22:12:53

also after something similar. Do NOT buy Diva Beach Wave tongs though. I got some off Amazon and although they are easy to use and the effect is lovely, they absolutely fry my hair. There's no heat control - just on and off.

FabMum1 Thu 31-Jan-13 22:59:21

I would prefer it if the tongs had an arm that clamped down

Any recommendations

ceeveebee Thu 31-Jan-13 23:04:31

Apparently GHD straighteners can be used to curl - my hair is short so I've never tried it but seen my friend do it

carmenelectra Fri 01-Feb-13 11:05:51

fabmum its literally like a wand. Its called babyliss curling wand.

I havbent tried tongs with a clamp, but I would guess more fiddly. This is really easy to use. Trust me! Its was about 25 quid.

I've got a bit of a hair curling obsession at the min. I've just bought heated rollers too.

carmenelectra Fri 01-Feb-13 11:07:29

Think the oblong one that's been mentioned I'd the babyliss waving wand. I've not tried that. That ones purple, mines like a cerise pink.

spanishring Sat 02-Feb-13 15:36:07

There is something really easy about using the oblong wand ( took me ages to remember that word!)
It gives a nice relaxed but also uniform look. Other wands can be a bit period drama and ghd s give a sort or forced curl which IMO isn't as flattering as the oblong.

DeafLeopard Sat 02-Feb-13 19:24:11

Just googled the wand to get a bigger pic of it, and it came up as £15 at Ocado if anyone shops there

FabMum1 Sun 10-Feb-13 21:07:45

Carmenelectra what rollers did you buy?

I'm still looking for the right curling wand. I have shoulder length hair and I want a curl/wave....not a tight curl. Plus would prefer it to have a camp

FabMum1 Mon 11-Feb-13 16:26:26


wickedfairy Mon 11-Feb-13 18:20:33

Marking my place, I want one!

doorbellringer Mon 11-Feb-13 20:37:51

Andrew Barton Designer Curls £70 Argos. Comes with two barrels with clamps and a wand. So you can do everything. Adjustable temp so you don't have to fry. I love them. If u just want one product get a 32mm barrel. My hair is similar length to yours and that is the perfect size for not to tight kinda boho curls/waves. Hope link works!

doorbellringer Mon 11-Feb-13 20:38:45

Sorry don't know why I typed 70 meant 27 pounds!!!!

FabMum1 Mon 11-Feb-13 21:13:05

Thanks doorbell ringer will take a look

carmenelectra Mon 11-Feb-13 23:40:37

Fabmum. They are babyliss ceramic rollers. Cost 30 pounds. Gthey are really good too and again, easy to use.
Loads of tutorial on youtube too.

I find they give more big hair than curls, but I like the effect. My hair feels so soft after using too.

FabMum1 Wed 13-Feb-13 21:24:21

So for body I need the rollers?

For curl, maybe a 3 inch+ curling tong?

carmenelectra Thu 14-Feb-13 10:47:59

Fabmum trust me, both the appliances I have suggested are really good. Perhaps get the wand first and then get the rollers another time? Obviously a lot of money to get both at once.

Then google the youtube vids, they are really good. Though you come away with serious hair envy when you realise your hair aint quite that good!

LittleAbruzzenBear Thu 14-Feb-13 10:51:07

So pleased I've found this thread. I want the Babyliss wand, exactly what I need. Thanks for the link.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: