Talk

Advanced search

I need a makeover...

(12 Posts)
ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 22-Jan-13 19:02:48

I am a trump. I look pretty crap 100% of the time. I used to make an effort and wear makeup and style my hair but two time consuming children later and I'm a shadow of my former self.
I have decided I want to start making more of an effort and start wearing a bit of makeup on a daily basis.
It has been so long since I wore any that I expect the stuff I have is a bit rank by now. What makeup essentials do you recommend and which brands? I have quite very pale skin and therefore have quite dark eye bags. My lips are often dry and cracked and I can be prone to coldsores if I get run down or get a cold etc. my eyes are a blue/grey and quite small and I also wear glasses.
any help an inspiration would be much appreciated... i am clueless smile smile

cleaninglady Tue 22-Jan-13 19:21:44

I think to start you off you might be best with a BB cream - foundation probably too heavy if you're not used to make up and some of the BB creams are great - my favourites are the garnier one and maybelline. Curl
your eyelashes at least and a tinted lip balm and just those few changes make a massive difference! I also like mixing in a drop of the soap and glory hocus focus (highlighting liquid) in with my BB cream ....gives a "dewy" look smile

cleaninglady Tue 22-Jan-13 19:24:04

Oh and dark eye bags the bain of my life! the Aldi copy of touché éclat is a good start but so many out there that going straight for an expensive brand might not be a good idea so its a good one to try

Come and join us on the new year resolutions thread!

Step one - buy a blusher. Benetint if you are rich or a Max Factor creme blusher if you are not, would be my recs for adding instant perkiness to pale faces!

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 22-Jan-13 19:40:02

I am not rich, no. grin

I have lads of different foundations and blushers and mascaras and have never found any that really work for me. I wouldn't say I'm not used to it, my skin is in good condition, neither oily nor dry and I do wear it when I go out.

I'm going to try and get up 15mins earlier tomorrow to try and put a bit on.

What is a BB cream?

Essentials: Foundation, powder, eyeliner, mascara, lip gloss, blusher? I can't afford the like of Clarins and Mac etc so No7 or Rimmel or something mid range.

I get nervous with blusher... Feel like I always put too much on then I worry that I'm too rosy cheeked. How do I know what colours suit me?

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Tue 22-Jan-13 19:40:48

Excuse my typos...

OP obviously should have said frump grin blush

cleaninglady Tue 22-Jan-13 20:34:46

BBcream is something in between a tinted moisturiser and foundation ....if your not used to foundation then it's a good compromise .... Makes me still look like me but better smile

cleaninglady Tue 22-Jan-13 20:36:03

That should say even if your used to foundation :-) using phone to type on !

AlwaysSleepingBeauty Tue 22-Jan-13 22:08:52

I would definitely recommend the Korres lip butters as a place to start- they will help your dry lips and add a bit of colour too. My favourite is the Wild Rose one, but they do a few and I think Waitrose might even sell them now.

TheWombat Tue 22-Jan-13 22:16:46

I have pale skin and dark under-eye shadows. I found bobbi brown concealer the best thing ever - it seems to brighten up my whole face. It's expensive but worth it - and a small pot lasts a year.

I agree with remus about blusher too. I like all the benetints- the original, the posie-tint and..the other one (peach coloured). They look lovely and are long wearing, and a little bottle lasts forever!

MikeLitoris Tue 22-Jan-13 22:24:33

Dont listen to her coconuts is not a frump. She is lovely and I am very envy at her skin grin

I second a bb cream. The garnier one made my crap skin feel amazing but it made my eyes sting like mad.

A cream blusher (I use a maybeline one)

And a highlighter like highbeam (benefit) really lifts my face. It wasnt cheap (to me) but lasts forever as you only need a teeny bit.

A bit of mascara and some vasaline and your good to go.

MikeLitoris Tue 22-Jan-13 22:25:43

I'm fibbing. I dont use a cream blush. I use the mousse one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now