Talk

Advanced search

If you're a skinny jeans and sweatshirt kind of person please come and tell me what dresses you might be wearing this spring please....

(20 Posts)
shopafrolic Wed 16-Jan-13 18:22:54

That's it really. This is my current wardrobe:
pinterest.com/shopafrolic1/a-w-2012-purchases/
I am sitting freezing cold and dreaming of spring and wondered what you'll be wearing.......

AmberNectarine Wed 16-Jan-13 18:42:04

I'm a skinny jeans and a sweatshirt person, and I'll probably be wearing skinny jeans and a sweatshirt, I have my eye on a nice Tibi one!

My usual spring wardrobe is skinnies, loose fit tee (I like the Zoe Karssen slogan ones atm and am planning on getting a Kenzo one), ersey blazer and Supergas/wedge trainers/sandals on a really hot day! Plan to invest in some Jimmy Choo slippers also.

Am toying with getting another Me&Em cap sleeved Ruched dress for work and casual wear as they are an easy option.

shopafrolic Wed 16-Jan-13 19:30:52

Do you ever wear dresses Amber ? I really struggle.i can't do cutesy florals. I used to wear lts of dresses when I was at work - very structured. I'm at a bit of a loss now..... Perhaps it's a sign that I need to go back to work........
I think I'll be in skinnies and tees for a while but then not sure when summer hits (talk about forward planning!). I can't wear shorts.......

QueenCadbury Wed 16-Jan-13 19:43:14

I'm a straight jeans and t-shirt person and rarely wear dresses mainly because I can never get them to fit properly due to my long body/waist. In summeri wear cropped jeans or chinos and when really hot I do wear shorts. Last year I did get one dress from next of all places. Literally went in there on a whim and found a plain black linen dress that fitted well. Hoping that they do the same style this year.

JumpHerWho Wed 16-Jan-13 20:08:40

I feel best in skinnies and a boxy sweater.

Dresses - I keep simple. Last summer I wore a couple of very short A-line ones, like Goat do but cheaper versions. Sort of 60s style shape, with boat neck. Also like same but 3/4 length sleeves or cap sleeves, but for me the key is plain colour, slash neckline and v short.

It's simple, clean and works with statement sunnies and a crossbody little bag, so similar in vibe to the skinnies thing.

No to prints (unless stripes), scoop necks, defined waists or below the knee. Although maxi can be good, I got a lush one from Gap last summer that's basically a floor length grey t-shirt, clingy and in softest jersey. Just add sandals, cross body mini leopard bag and sunnies smile

Zara usually do good dresses in short, simple shapes.

Mominatrix Wed 16-Jan-13 20:36:15

I either wear dresses or skinny jeans/loosish tops. I actually prefer dresses as I just find them easy to wear and comfortable. I like pull on dresses in soft fabrics, or very tailored (but not tight). Vanessa Bruno, Maje, DVF, Comptoir des cottoniers are great for this style, as is Massimo Dutti, By Malene Birger, Alice and Olivia, and Isabel Marant.

I find dresses to be more versatile as the simple shoes I wear can be dressed up with bold accessories, jacket, and heels, or down with converse/sandals and a straw hat.

shopafrolic Wed 16-Jan-13 20:38:09

Think I'm scared of my legs in dresses. I wear a 32 leg in jeans so short dresses come up even shorter. I love the sound of your dresses Jump heads off to google Goat dresses...... The maxi also sounds fab. I can't do floaty floral maxi but t-shirt maxi sounds good. Do you mind me asking are you super skinny?

shopafrolic Wed 16-Jan-13 20:41:03

Are you on Pin Mominatrix? You've mentioned quite a few brands I'm not familiar with.

Suburban Wed 16-Jan-13 20:43:47

Your pin board is beautiful.

I am coveting this dress and would buy if I could envisage my post pregnancy body.

JumpHerWho Wed 16-Jan-13 20:52:33

I'm not super skinny, but not a fattie either - a pear shaped size ten I guess.

I follow you on Pin as it goes - I have a pasta based moniker on there wink don't out me, I try to keep stuff separate and namechange a lot on here! Only joined Pin recently so all wintry stuff on there.

Would also be interested in following Mominatrixif you are on there?

MarshaBrady Wed 16-Jan-13 20:56:14

That's a lovely dress Suburban and great wardrobe Shop.

I will probably buy something floral and citrusy this SS.

And am keen on pretty skirts and tshirts.

JumpHerWho Wed 16-Jan-13 20:59:50

VB in a selection of Goat dresses - I think the simplicity, with statement necklace and flats, is gorgeous.

Mominatrix Wed 16-Jan-13 21:00:10

Not on pin, and I tried to link the sites for you, but the I pad crashed! Comptoir, By Malene Birger, Massimo Dutti all have Uk e-shops and are sold fairly widly here. Maje has a French e-shop you can see the style on, as well as some stores here and a NAP presence. Vanessa Bruno and IM you can find on NAP as well as some boutiques. Alice and Olivia have a Us Eshop and I think you can purchase them on NAP. Also check out J Crew - it is great for pull on dresses.

shopafrolic Wed 16-Jan-13 21:01:45

Thanks Suburban lovely dress, good colour for me.... Might have to take a closer look! (Blatant steal!)
Jump will take a look at my followers and look for pasta! Please start a board for Spring - I'm curious to see some images of the dresses you describe.
Marsha I love pretty but pretty doesn't love me back.......

JumpHerWho Wed 16-Jan-13 21:08:25

Same here shop - I love florals and girlish shapes on other people, but it just looks wrong on me! I have learned to avoid busy prints and 'ditzy' things are the worst.

There are a couple of nice dresses on my AW board - Hobbs Abingdon dress and a SS MBMJ pink stripey one.

Will check out J Crew now... smile

JumpHerWho Wed 16-Jan-13 21:12:46

MULTI-14&refpage=dresses/smart-dresses&view=2&searchpage=1&pagesize=72 Hobbs - with opaques and ankle boots or black ballet flats

MbMJ with bare legs, flat sandals or pumps and a MbMJ crossbody bag

Suburban Wed 16-Jan-13 21:16:38

Oh please do buy it. I love it a much, needs to go to a good home.

shopafrolic Wed 16-Jan-13 21:26:45

The Goat dresses are beautiful and interesting the difference between the web pic and VB wearing but they are v short.......
Lots of ideas here though and lots to google so thanks everyone. Feels funny sitting by the fire in thermals dreaming of sunshine!

AmberNectarine Wed 16-Jan-13 21:55:23

I wear dresses, but the nature of my style means little flippy things aren't me at all - they need edge. I wear skirts and dresses almost every day at work, but nothing very girly if that makes sense.

And because of that I prefer to go casual on my days off.

QueenCadbury Thu 17-Jan-13 09:49:54

surburban I love that dress. Totally the sort of dress that suits my shape. As long as it sits right on my waist.

The only problem I have with dresses in the summer is that I'm always scared of flashing my pants whilst playing with the dc. Sometimes shorts are definitely more practical.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now