Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of clothes - how do you do it?

(13 Posts)
fridgepants Tue 15-Jan-13 23:51:46

I am moving in with DP in a couple of months. We are each housesharing - currently I'm a lodger and the landlord/housemate never goes out and has the living room as his home office/TV room while he works from home or eats ready meals in front of a box-set, so I spend most of my time in my room and it is really.fucking.depressing. (I have bipolar disorder so I reallyu need my own space away from a guy who only communicates in 'funny' comments as well - it's tripping my anxiety something rotten.) Aside from adoring DP and wanting to shack up with him, obv., I am desperate to get the fuck out of Dodge.

However, the problem is - I have a fuckton of stuff. And most of this is probably clothing - in the wardrobe, a set of drawers, a wicker hamper, and in boxes under the bed. Most people say 'get rid of everything you haven't worn in a year.' However. Thanks to medication and cake a lot of my clothes don't fit right now. I don't want this to be a permanent situation, I don't want to get rid of things I love, but they're adding to the clutter. How do you get around this situation? DP also is unfamiliar with the concept of having a winter wardrobe and a summer wardrobe, and honestly, I have no idea how many shoes an adult female actually needs. (Big feet means that if I get rid of it, chances are I won't find it again.)

My living situation's so enervating that I need advice to give myself a kick up the bum and get it done.

libertychick Wed 16-Jan-13 00:10:02

I am trying to declutter my clothes too and am finding it very difficult. I keep thinking of reasons to hang onto stuff. The way I am doing it now is to do a small amount once a week - so last weekend I cleared one drawer and took the stuff that definitely had to go straight around to a salvation army recycling bin nearby - it took a total of 45 mins. Week before that I cleared my underwear drawer on bin day and put what needed to be chucked straight out for collection. I figure that this way the task doesn't seem too big and I don't allow the stuff to hang around so I have the chance to change my mind.

looseleaf Wed 16-Jan-13 02:01:07

Can you move sooner? It sounds stressful.
It sounds a good idea to start sorting anything you really haven't worn - mine usually goes to charity shops and I sometimes find it painful but when clearing out I tend to push myself and so far haven't missed anything that I wanted to keep but realistically never chose to wear.
Also, it sounds like you want to fit into some older clothes again and would it help your morale with living situation to start this already or do you already spend time outside/ at gym for exercise ? Just a thought hoping might help turn a more difficult time into a positive and keep you away from unhelpful flatmate

monsterchild Wed 16-Jan-13 02:04:25

Think of all the great new things you can buy when you've lost the weight! That stuff in boxes is going to either be horribly dated or so old it's trendy again, but the wrong colors. Agree with yourself to keep half of it, then half of that too.

if the shoes are in good condition I would keep them. I have trouble finding shoes too!

noviceoftheday Wed 16-Jan-13 04:54:51

Here's how I decluttered my wardrobe after 4 years worth of pregnancies and breastfeeding:

1, Ditch everything that's fashionable that you haven't worn in a couple of years. Just keep the classic stuff that you will definitely wear again.

2. Ditch your underwear unless it was very expensive.

3, Ditch anything that's not a basic that is cheap.

4, Ditch anything that's not in a 100% perfect condition, you won't want to wear it.

StupidFlanders Wed 16-Jan-13 05:17:07

I agree with novice but I understand your reluctance to give up clothes you hope to fit into again - I have been pregnant for pretty much 4 years!

I have ONE storage container (plastic box with lid) that I put the things I love but obviously don't fit and that's it. If I don't dream of the day I can wear it again and if its not in perfect cindition its gone.

I have one containers worth of clothes that are strictly maternity which I ruthlessly cull with each pregnancy so it's pretty much essential basics and dresses.

The only clothes permanently in my cupboard are the things that fit post pregnancy and looser things that I can still wear - but only clothes I love.

If you pull something out and have to wonder about what to wear it with get rid of it. Everything I own I can wear with almost no thought. I buy good quality stuff that is plain and have good accessories.

Most people have too many clothes which is pointless. I realised I had about 10 sets of fancy underwear which was impractical so I kept about 3 and culled all the stuff which wasno longer looking new. I have no emotional attachment to clothes (even though i love clothes) which helps.

I hope you can get out of your shared house soon, I can only imagine how hard that must be for you.

fridgepants Wed 16-Jan-13 11:15:13

I buy things I really like rather than doing trends, and I go for a vintage-y look, so my wardrobe never really dates (other than the motif T-shirts I had in my early 20s which were just way too young). I've started swimming once a week so I get out of the flat, but we can;t move sooner because of DP's work commitments and lease.

Chandon Wed 16-Jan-13 11:57:44

I put lots of clothes and shoes in storage, as I moved abroad with only 1 suitcase. After 6 years I came back to my great clothes. Ony, they were not great. The cheap stuff (H and M etc) was not actually that great on second view. An expensive dress ahd a stain I never got out, so would never wear, beautiful coat never did up around the hips, and still didn't, my smart work clothes somehow looked incredibly dated. My square toed shoes with block heels ditto. I ditched the lot, it was catharctic.

So, keep a few bits if they are really good, clean, and it is extermely likely to fit into them again.

I have size 8 shoes and difficult feet, but I find the choice for bigfooted ladies improves every year as people get taller and bigger, I have about 8 pairs of shoes and four pairs of boots, and that is plenty.

dreamingofsun Wed 16-Jan-13 12:14:39

1. get rid of things you don't like - realistically you aren't going to wear these
2. anything damaged or stained goes
3. keep a few things for dirty jobs
4. anthing too small goes (in your case i would keep the larger things that don't fit and only the ones of these you love and are classic so they haven't gone out of fashion by the time you have shrunk.
5. shoes - anything so uncomfortable i no longer wear goes. anything with holes in the soles

for a while i made myself wear something i hadn't worn for years, each day. this opened my eyes to a load of unused things and also made me realise how much i disliked some (which i got rid of)

i wouldn't get rid of too much, till i knew how much space i had. i would also give myself a time limit on starting to lose weight - if you haven't even started within 6 months then realistically you should think about binning smaller clothes

fridgepants Wed 16-Jan-13 12:33:45

I'm so fecking miserable in my current place that I've had the tendency to binge-eat. It's not helpful or useful. I have this idea that, wehn in a more pleasant environment where I will enjoy cooking and find eating relaxing rather than to be done quickly, this will change. Hence the being unsure about what smaller clothing is a realistic amount to keep. The vintage repro is unlikely to date, but also, as I'm 30 now, I will have stuff that's better suited to someone in their early 20s.

I work in a casual office so there's also no real divide between work and non-work clothes (save dressing up a bit for work parties or meetings) that would make it easier.

spooktrain Wed 16-Jan-13 12:48:41

there are a few tips here that might help you start. Sounds like you're going to have to be ruthless....

dreamingofsun Wed 16-Jan-13 13:05:46

have you had your colours done? Understanding which ones suit you would help you be more ruthless with ones that don't.

yes if you are happy you may eat less, but you will probably have to do some exercise as well - as someone suggests, why not investigate some classes?

fridgepants Wed 16-Jan-13 15:43:58

I'm trying to go swimming once or twice a week when commitments allow. I like exercise that doesn't feel like exercise iyswim - being on a gym machine going nowhere feels dispiriting but swimming round a pool or walking doesn't. I should investigate classes as it isn't something I've really done before.

I think I do have a good idea of my colours, though wearing colours more often than neutrals means things don't always go together as well smile For years I tried wearing oranges and purples and they just don't work on me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now