Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Why have my best earrings started to make my ears sore

(21 Posts)
Jemster Tue 15-Jan-13 23:03:08

My hubby bought me a pair of white gold diamond stud earrings after my son was born 5 years ago. I wore them all the time and they were fine. After about four years they started to make my ears around the holes itch and go red and sore.
I took them to the jewellers who recoated the posts. After a couple of wears the same thing happened so I have had to stop wearing them. I am gutted as they were a gift for having my son and were not cheap.
Does anyone know why they might have been fine for so long and now unwearable? Is there anything I can do? We can't afford to buy anything else like that. Many thanks

joliejolie Tue 15-Jan-13 23:09:43

Exact same thing here. I was given white gold diamond studs after having my ds in 2005. Wore them everyday for years until they started to hurt. I've put mine away in a box, but wish I knew what to do.

dexter73 Wed 16-Jan-13 11:07:37

The posts might not be gold, they may be gold plated , or the gold may have nickel in it (14K or less can contain nickel), and you have developed an allergic reaction to thsi.

BlissfullyIgnorant Wed 16-Jan-13 11:09:39

Dexter, so what should one do if it's not possible to wear earrings? Avoid them forever or is there a solution? I haven't been able to wear any for years and really miss it. hmm

dexter73 Wed 16-Jan-13 11:11:58

You probably need to buy nickel free earrings. Try pure gold earrings or ones that specify they are nickel free.

dexter73 Wed 16-Jan-13 11:13:40

Just googled and this has some solutions.

Jemster Wed 16-Jan-13 14:49:31

So can anything be done to adapt my diamond studs so I can wear them? The article talks about replacing the posts with wood or plastic but this would look odd wouldn't it. I hate the thought of the diamonds going to waste, they cost my hubby a fortune! I can't risk buying more expensive earrings in case the same thing happens again.

LadybirdsAreFab Wed 16-Jan-13 14:52:36

Can you have the posts replaced with 18k (or higher) gold or even platinum? Might not be too expensive if it means you can carry on wearing them.

homeaway Wed 16-Jan-13 15:08:44

You used to be able to buy a clear liquid to paint on them( I got mine from a chemist ),but I cant remember what is called. Ask somebody in a big boots store. I have in the past put clear nail varnish on cheap earings so that I can wear them as otherwise i react badly but you probably would not want to do that to more expensive ones.

GreenShadow Wed 16-Jan-13 15:15:04

I've found that my ears react to ALL earrings since becoming menopausal - any chance that could apply?

Boomeringue Wed 16-Jan-13 15:34:56

I developed an allergy to all but pure gold. Now I automatically coat any other metal with clear nail-varnish. It works.

KindleMum Wed 16-Jan-13 16:04:25

I have this problem with a pair of pearl and gold earrings - I now paint the stems with clear nail varnish every year or so, whenever they start to hurt again.

Jemster Wed 16-Jan-13 16:19:05

Thanks everyone. It sounds like the clear nail varnish on posts works but wouldn't I have to paint the part that actually holds the diamond too, sorry not sure of proper name but like the claw bit on a ring?

ByTheWay1 Wed 16-Jan-13 16:25:27

You just need to paint the back of it.... and be aware if you have developed a nickel allergy, that you now have it for life - and you may react to things like the buttons/studs on jeans too...

KindleMum Wed 16-Jan-13 16:32:51

You only need to paint the bits that are touching your ear. I just paint the post as it only seems to be inside my ear that it causes a problem.

Jemster Wed 16-Jan-13 21:18:34

Ok I think I will give it a go. I take it it's ok/safe to put nail varnish inside the pierced hole bit? I seem to remember my mum used to use something specially made for this purpose, not sure if it's still available?

BlissfullyIgnorant Mon 21-Jan-13 08:06:55

Wow, Dexter! You are wonderful!!
I went out at the weekend and bought a pair of simple silver studs (long story involving DD's friend, ears and Nina B jewellery) and - Success! I've worn the studs for 2 days problem free.
Thank you so much for the information - it's nickel-free for me from now on smile

Jemster Mon 21-Jan-13 08:23:47

Blissfully what are they made from, sterling silver? How did you know they would be nickel free? I still need to try the nail varnish on mine.

AgathaF Mon 21-Jan-13 11:14:46

Would it be possible to have the posts replaced with titanium and a titanium coating put on the back of the diamond setting? A good jeweller might be able to advise you.

BlissfullyIgnorant Tue 22-Jan-13 22:11:45

Jester, the Nina B ones are, so I was told by the John Lewis partner, sterling, although they're not labelled as such. Laws governing labelling of jewellery are a bit odd - you don't have to label or hallmark if the item is below a certain weight, which these are (v simple studs)
I've tried some hypoallergenic ones but started to feel a bit dodgy. On closer inspection a bit of the coating is scratched so prob won't wear those again.
Good independent jewellers can fix earrings, but it doesn't come cheap. Be prepared to spend the money but if they're worth it, they're worth it. There's a brilliant guy in Uxbridge, if you're not too far away...

keySensitiveJewellery Sun 30-Apr-17 20:26:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now