Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Trousers for work - what's a good look?

(8 Posts)
CointreauVersial Tue 15-Jan-13 22:48:17

I'm after some new tailored trousers for work, and I really don't know what to look for. I am getting by with an assortment of badly-fitting/threadbare/ancient boot-cut trousers which i wear to work with fitted tops/shirts/cardigans and boots, but I'm sure there's something a bit more fashionable out there......I just can't find the right pair. Narrow? Wide-leg? Cropped? No idea.

I'm 45, a size 10, and 5 foot 7 tall. I'm looking for trousers which are:

Less than £50, ideally
Washable (no dry cleaning, thanks)
Any colour
Suitable for smart/casual office

Any tips/links appreciated, thanks.

CointreauVersial Wed 16-Jan-13 13:15:31

Ah c'mon people, help needed here!

EuroShagmore Wed 16-Jan-13 13:44:15

Get to Zara. Try on a few different styles and shapes. Although you might struggle with washable. Most washable tailored stuff is vile. Next always used to do some, and M&S too, but it feels nasty, imo.

MissBeehivingUnderTheMistletoe Wed 16-Jan-13 14:10:03

We had a discussion about this the other day here, might have useful links.

CointreauVersial Wed 16-Jan-13 21:43:46

Thanks, MissBUTM, I didn't look hard enough before starting a thread, did I? Some nice links there, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one struggling to find nice stuff.

BluelightsAndSirens Wed 16-Jan-13 21:48:22

Coast sale £30 for £80 trousers and they are lush, so hard wearing although they are dry clean I do manage with a soft wash inbetween monthly dry cleans and a trouser press at home.

Also check out Ebay, recently paid £8 for bnwt £80 chocolate brown trousers that I wear with a dark purple top and matching shoes.

MissBeehivingUnderTheMistletoe Wed 16-Jan-13 22:05:56

You can never have too many work trouser threads grin

I do like 7/8th cigarette shape and they're fine for late spring/summer/early autumn but not for this kind of weather.

CointreauVersial Thu 17-Jan-13 13:14:49

I definitely will look at 7/8 trousers in the spring, but agree they're a definite no-no when it's minus-3 outside!

Bluelights, I'm an avid eBay purchaser for most things, but not trousers or jeans because I find the fit quite tricky and there's usually no possibility to return. I have been caught out many times. I'll have a look at the Coast ones, though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: