Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Outfit for a thanksgiving service, not black but not crazer jolly orange beads ensemble either.

(10 Posts)
Slubberdegullion Tue 15-Jan-13 18:51:34

Please give me some sort of idea where I should even start.

My dad died last week and his service of thanksgiving is in a couple of weeks. I will be doing a reading and have to do the walk of sad but happy smiles (+ head tilt) up the aisle. Urgh. Technical goretex and walking shoes is not going to work, and neither is the tasteful jaguar wrap dress with cleave either. I have nothing inbetween.

Where do I even start looking?

The words wrap dress with a nice scarf, or trouser suit keep coming to mind but I suspect these are probably deeply wrong.

5ft 9 size 12, big feet, not a nicely turned ankle.

Suppose I need shoes too.

[not enjoying this]

Slubberdegullion Tue 15-Jan-13 18:53:26

I'd quite like to wear whatever I buy again so why I was thinking trouser suit I have no idea. Will never need to wear a trouser suit, EVER.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 15-Jan-13 18:56:11

I'm very sorry about your dad.

Would a black jacket work over the dress you have perhaps? With opaques and whatever shoes you normally wear with it?

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 15-Jan-13 18:58:07

Or something like this so sobre but not black.

Slubberdegullion Tue 15-Jan-13 19:02:26

Thank you MrsC. Oh no I cant wear the jaguar dress, it's much too rrooooooowr and my mother would be all the flared nostrils. I like that navy dress, what would I wear over the top if it was cold? Service is in a cathedral, in feb so likely to be cold.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 15-Jan-13 19:02:31

I meant sombre of course

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 15-Jan-13 19:03:18

Do you have smart coat? A nice wool one or is it all umm technical?

Slubberdegullion Tue 15-Jan-13 19:13:24

I do have one non technical coat grin. Navy, wool, belted. Yes, OK I could wear that if it is freezing cold.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 15-Jan-13 19:16:24

With thermals under the dress

Slubberdegullion Wed 16-Jan-13 15:46:14

MrsC, wanted to let you know that I went in to Phase Eight today to try on the dress you suggested. It looked v nice but the woman in the shop gave me this one to try on too which I liked very much, so that is what I bought.

Job done. Thank you for your help, saved me lots of time and displeasure trawling through a load of clothes shops. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now