Talk

Advanced search

Workwear - help!

(23 Posts)
MrsRajKoothrappali Sun 13-Jan-13 19:11:02

OK, so I've been offered a job. It's in an office. HELP.

I have only ever worked in places where the uniform is supplied. What on earth do I wear?!?! I've got a suit kicking about, and a few nice blouses, but it's a full-time position so I need about a million more things, otherwise I'll end up going to work filthy!

Can someone suggest cheap websites/proper items of "smaaahhht" clothing to wear?! Someone told me to get a peplum dress... WTAF is that?! Is it like a colour or a pattern or what?!

dancemom Sun 13-Jan-13 19:15:34

Are you dealing with the public at all? What kind of office work? Relatively smart lawyer type? Or at a desk / photocopier / printer post?

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sun 13-Jan-13 19:17:02

Smart trousers and a nice top will do. I work in a professional office and few women actually wear suits anymore.

Next/Matalan and even supermarkets offer workwear basics at a good price.

MrsRajKoothrappali Sun 13-Jan-13 19:17:36

I'm on the phones, calling businesses about their products. I'm terrified I won't look "the part". I think I may have a pencil skirt in here, but that was pre-baby and if I can get my big toe in, much less my ample arse, I'd be impressed...

<goes rummaging>

HollyBerryBush Sun 13-Jan-13 19:18:22

Cheap suit in Asda till your first payday, then upgrade to a Matalan suit or two.

What did you wear to your interview? Recycle that!

No one ever noticeds men wear the same suit fora month and only change shirts and ties!

Just change blouses and scarves. Sorted until you can buy some more stuff

Ilovesunflowers Sun 13-Jan-13 19:19:10

You don't need tons of stuff. You could start with 2-3 pairs of reasonably smart trousers and 5 nice tops. You can build it up as you go along.

Supermarkets do some decent stuff at cheap prices. Otherwise M&S is useful for getting pretty much everything you need in one trip.

dancemom Sun 13-Jan-13 19:19:15

I agree, few pairs if trousers and skirts and some blouses will be fine, I wouldn't go splashing out on business suits or anything the like

McNewPants2013 Sun 13-Jan-13 19:19:55

The ward Clarks and secerterys ware there own "uniform" normally black trousers shoes and a blouse. They tend to keep to the same style.

What you don't want to do is wear your normal clothes, as you need to keep work life and home life separate.

LindyHemming Sun 13-Jan-13 19:20:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sun 13-Jan-13 19:21:55

Primark do some ok stuff but you have to route around a bit. H&M and Dorothy Perkins do some ok-ish tops too. Once you get a feel for the place you can decide whether or not better quality cloth is required!

Good luck with the job by the way smile

Trills Sun 13-Jan-13 19:23:33

When you went for interview did you see the office? Did you see what other people were wearing? Wear stuff like that.

As sunflowers said you don't need loads of stuff, start with 2/3 bottoms (skirt or trousers) and 5 tops.

cantheyseeme Sun 13-Jan-13 19:24:07

I used to work in a similar role, I used to go to work in black torusers and a jumper or a long top or anything comfy really, I'm presumign no customers see you?

MrsRajKoothrappali Sun 13-Jan-13 19:30:01

No customers see me, no...

Thing is, I'm working with some girls who I'm not jealous of in the slightest with their youth and their micromini dresses and their love of everything frivolous...

Ok, maybe a little jealous. I just don't want to be the sad, fat 25-year-old who had her baby and therefore is defunct style-wise... do you see what I mean? I mean, they're all glamorous with their blonde hair extensions and make-up and artfully-cut-out dresses and those weird mullet-skirts that are short in the front and long in the back with really high heels...

I've got some lovely smart dresses and things, like I have a skater dress that could be very smart. I've rooted through eBay and bought some more blouses and trousers, but I'm just terrified that I'll end up with spaghetti stains on everything and no chance to do a load of washing.

I'm terrified... seriously terrified!! I think I'm getting myself a bit wound up...

TidyDancer Sun 13-Jan-13 19:30:38

I think smart skirt or trousers and a nice top with a jacket or cardigan would be smart enough for most offices.

Trills Sun 13-Jan-13 19:35:48

Are they really going to be wearing dresses with cutouts to the office?

I don't like the longer-at-the-back dresses.

MrsRajKoothrappali Sun 13-Jan-13 19:38:32

Well, one of them was wearing this dress with sections cut out of the sides. it looked a bit odd and kind of casual? But I mean, if she can get away with it with the managers, then obviously it sets a precedent doesn't it?

And I hate them too, they probably look good if you have the legs for them but I just............don't.

ihearsounds Sun 13-Jan-13 19:39:05

Smart/casual. Jeans are too casual, suit is too smart.. Shift dress, trousers, skirts and blouses, jumpers, cardi's and depending on the style tshirt. You don't want anything too revealing either.. Something that is comfortable, because you will spend a lot of time, sitting... Start your first day a blouse and trousers/skirt, and comfy shoes. Could be everyone else is very, very casual.

A peplum dress is like a shift dress, but the skirt bit usually tighter. More fitted than a shift, and usually shorter way above knee.

LindyHemming Sun 13-Jan-13 19:48:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Trills Sun 13-Jan-13 19:54:16

A peplum is a sticky-out ruffle bit at the waist, there are a lot of them about at the moment.

Peplum dress

Peplum top

MrsRajKoothrappali Sun 13-Jan-13 19:58:04

Oh riiiiight! That's what they're called!!

I've got a few shift dresses on watch on eBay, and some bootcut suit-style trousers. Thanks for the advice everyone :D

Meglet Sun 13-Jan-13 20:03:29

I've gone for the work uniform of dresses over black leggings (warmer and comfier than tights) and nice biker boots.

IMO don't buy anything that has to be ironed.

travailtotravel Sun 13-Jan-13 21:05:48

Smart trousers and simple tops - you can dress up with jewellery.
Also dresses always look smart and glam on people other than me.

Ebay could be your friend for some of this - I got a wrap dress for less than a tenner ...

Trills Sun 13-Jan-13 21:31:57

Yes, buy things that can be dried hanging on the hanger and so don't need ironing! And definitely don't buy anything that needs dry cleaning. And if you do accidentally buy trousers that need dry cleaning don't wash them in the washing machine because you will be very sad that your trousers are now sized for a small 10 year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now