Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What can I wear on my legs and feet with this dress, please?

(28 Posts)
LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 13-Jan-13 11:17:33

Hi
I would really appreciate some advice. I have a friend's 50th birthday party in a couple of weeks. I found this dress and one a bit like it but with a 'nude' lining under lace and more of a 50s shape.

uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_6.25/3530180108

The dress comes just below the knee on me and I have fairly chunky calves and some thread veins in the foot area but nothing horrific. My skin is too pale to just leave bare though.

I'm not good with high heels and I have wide feet. I do have a very comfy pair of strappy black eveningish sandals with a bit of a heel but they are very 'open' over the foot so I wouldn't be able to wear tights.

So do I get a spray tan on my legs and wear the exisiting sandals?(hmm to the Body shop for discontinuing their gradual tanning lotion)

Do I get different and more closed in shoes so I can wear dark tights?

And if I get a tan - how do I make sure it looks ok as I've never had one before?

Thanks very much in advance. smile

makinglemonade Sun 13-Jan-13 11:53:09

On my phone so can't see the dress but thought I'd give you a tip on tanning.

I don't think spray tanning your legs only is the way to go - it looks better if you have an all over one. Although if you go for this option be careful - it's the wrong time of year for a deep tan.

I recommend Sally Hanson Airbrush legs. I'm very pale and use the medium glow. I use a mitt to apply it and the coverage is excellent. You literally can't make a mistake with it. It's kind of like applying makeup. I also use it on my arms and back. The best thing is its cheap, no fake tan smell, it's subtle and it just washes off.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 13-Jan-13 12:40:38

Thanks for that Makinglemonade

I'll give it a practice beforehand too. I would like to wear the sandals I already have.

Graceparkhill Sun 13-Jan-13 17:29:20

I would recommend going to a salon for a pedicure and polish

Hassled Sun 13-Jan-13 17:32:19

I have shapely but manky legs - as in they're slim but covered in veins and random dark blotches - so I sympathise.

Faced with that dress I'd wear "barely black" tights and shoes with a closed toe. Apart from anything else, you will freeze bare-legged in a couple of week's time.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 13-Jan-13 17:34:00

I'd wear black opaques and shoe boots or ankle boots - way too cold for sandals.

lalalonglegs Sun 13-Jan-13 17:38:56

I'd get new shoes, the dress has quite wintry colours, I'm not sure it would suit bare legs and a tan. Better to have nudes or very fine dark tights.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 13-Jan-13 17:55:45

Bare legs in January = bonkers imho. And sandals.

I'd wear opaques and either black platforms, or black shoeboots. Very fine black tights can look dated though. 40s style seamed stockings might work.

lalalonglegs Sun 13-Jan-13 18:05:28

See, I think opaques look a bit studenty but I like the idea of shoe-boots.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 13-Jan-13 18:30:20

I think opaques with shoeboots is far from studenty - sheer tights can look a bit like 'pam from accounts out on the pull' [apologies to any pam from accounts out there]

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 13-Jan-13 18:32:34

Sheer black plain (ie unpatterned and unseamed) tights = v 1980s and they make all but the slimmest legs look a bit grim, I think.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 13-Jan-13 19:53:22

Oo lots more ideas. Thanks.

I'm now favouring the dress that's black lace over a caucasian skin tone lining.
It's not on the Monsoon website so I can't link.

I take the point about sandals being freezing as there'll be more walking about than I originally thought and not just taxis all the way. It's in a big, old venue too.

Would this mean I should try to match tights to the dress lining (ie white skin tone)? TBH I'm not sure about shoe boots with a party dress at my age - a bit 'try hard'?

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 13-Jan-13 20:06:36

us.monsoon.uk/view/product/us_catalogue/mon_1,mon_1.2/2530520110

Found it, though it looks a lot better on my curves than it does in this pic smile

I do have a lovely pair of black lace up brogues with a fairly high heel - when I were't lass they were called granny boots.

Anything else would have to be bought.

Am I a bit ancient for shoe boots (48) ?

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 13-Jan-13 20:07:58

Link not working for me. No to white-ish tights - opaques much better. And I think no to brogues tbh, though others may disagree.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 13-Jan-13 20:08:35

Not too old for shoeboots, no.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 13-Jan-13 20:11:08

http://us.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/us_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.2/2530520110

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 13-Jan-13 20:11:37

us.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/us_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.2/2530520110

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 13-Jan-13 20:12:32

I agree with remus.

If you go for opaques and black suede shoeboots - you're just creating a smooth line which is leg lengthening. I really don't think shoeboots are at all try hard - something like this

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 13-Jan-13 20:12:43

And finally!!!

Sorry - last link does work though. grin

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 13-Jan-13 20:13:12

Nice. Platforms or shoeboots deffo better than sandals or brogues.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 13-Jan-13 20:15:00

lovely dress!

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Sun 13-Jan-13 20:17:41

Yes - those M&S ones would be perfect.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 13-Jan-13 20:43:24

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004T2MA9O/ref=asc_df_B004T2MA9O11461905/?tag=googlecouk06-21&creative=22134&creativeASIN=B004T2MA9O&linkCode=asn

Ah yes MrsCB, I thought shoeboots were something else entirely (ankle/pixie boots)
Now you know why I need help! grin

My shoes are similar to these in black? Could I get away with it?

Saves buying a new pair (hate shoe shopping, these are vv comfy and we're trying to save money).

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 13-Jan-13 20:45:11

Also, although they are vair lovely, I would look like a bloke if I tried walking in those Autograph ones - enough to make people stare and titter!

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 13-Jan-13 20:49:52

Remus - you hold her down while I get the brogues off her wink

You can get lower and cheaper shoeboots in lots of places like this

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: