Talk

Advanced search

need to start buying maternity clothes

(11 Posts)
boardingschoolbaby Sat 12-Jan-13 09:51:48

Hi, bump now getting too big to snuggle into normal clothes, but other than a few key items- e.g. some good jeans and a couple of really nice dresses/ tops I would like to avoid spending a fortune. Could any of you reccommend places or online shops for smart casual maternity clothes that dont break the bank?

many thanks

nextphase Sat 12-Jan-13 19:18:59

ASDA, New Look, Dorothy Perkins.

Next, Red herring,M&S, Mothercare (personally hate these last 2)

Congrats on your pregnancy

sunnysunnyshine Sat 12-Jan-13 19:24:57

I've just got a couple of nice dresses from Topshop... I love them as they're really comfortable and can be dressed up or down.

Flosshilde Sat 12-Jan-13 19:27:42

I got all my stuff from Gap, Topshop and H&M. The former two entirely online. Was pleased with it as well, lots of cotton stuff. Topshop dresses in particular are great as they can be dressed up or down.

milkybrew Sat 12-Jan-13 19:30:44

My favourite maternity jeans were skinnies from h&m! Pretty much all of my maternity wear was from there as it's really reasonable and they have on trend stuff, so I didn't feel frumpy! DP good for tops, and River island also had nice jeans. If you don't mind second hand you can get some great bargain bundles on eBay, as it's not worn for long, items are often in lovely condition.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sat 12-Jan-13 19:38:10

I just ordered 2 pairs of skinny jeans from dorothy perkins down to £10.20 each in the sale.

Spuddybean Sat 12-Jan-13 19:45:04

Most of my favourite Mat wear was from Gap and H&M. I got some great grey flannel tailored trousers from Gap which i still wear 4 months post birth! and a really pretty wrap dresses from Gap and H&M, they were t sleeves and grew with my bump - i wore them from 3 months pg to 2 wks overdue. In the winter i wore them with long sleeve t-shirts under, cardigan and tights and in the summer no t-shirt, bare legs and sandals. They were patterned so i had different colour long sleeve t's from Primark or New Look (just bought size 16/18s) and different coloured tights from H&M.

I also bought some tops and maxi dresses in the summer when i was ginormous from the New Look plus size range.

I bought Gap jeans which went under bump and i hated them. I found over bump much more comfy. Also there was no stretch or give in them. Next were the best for jeans, but tbh apart from the grey flannels and leggins i stayed in dresses.

Everyone said they were so glad to get out of their Mat clothes, but not me - i still look longingly at the dresses in my wardrobe sad

I'm jealous OP being pregnant was great and the time i felt the most gorgeous. Congratulations, hope you enjoy it smile

emsyj Sat 12-Jan-13 20:32:41

I've bought quite a bit from Matalan this time and have worn my Matalan bits more than anything else. The GAP maternity stuff is nice quality and a generous fit IME. Asda stuff seems to vary a lot - I got some fab over the bump leggings that are so so comfortable for £6, but sent back quite a few other things. The Asda maternity jeans I got are hopeless - fit ok in the leg but the band around the waist is massive and they still fall down now even at 37 weeks. Got Dorothy Perkins jeggings which I've worn a lot too.

Sleepthief Sat 12-Jan-13 20:43:42

Another vote in favour of H&M - pretty good value for money and have some flattering styles. I lived in a stretchy grey and black striped top/dress thing last time!

Gooseysgirl Sat 12-Jan-13 20:51:05

Topshop, Gap, H&M. Though I would never find a pair of maternity jeans but finally got a brill pair of under bump ones in Topshop.. Wore them til 8mths pregnant then til DD was 3 mths, fab! Otherwise I wore lots of non-maternity stretchy dresses over leggings/tights. Bought 2 sizes up in trackie bottoms in M&S and lived in these for the final few weeks.

boardingschoolbaby Sun 13-Jan-13 11:21:42

brillant. Thank you all so much. Starting a little online shopping spree today.
Hugely appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now